Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jackie
Devoted September 2023 Alberta

What is customary for vendor tips?

Jackie, on July 13, 2023 at 11:54 Posted in Before the wedding 0 7

For really good service in a restaurant I will tip around 20%, but on a $5k invoice that's a big chunk of change! Anyone know what is kind of the customary ballpark for tipping vendors like photographer, makeup artist, DJ?

7 Comments

Latest activity by Jackie, on July 17, 2023 at 11:09
  • Jackie
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Hank!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

FYI You shouldn't need to tip any vendor that sets their own prices. I would only tip in instances like the photographer was sent by a company/agency, the makeup and hair artists by a salon, the DJ by a company, the catering staff etc since they're getting paid by a contract rate set by their boss instead of one they set themselves.

• Jackie
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the input!! That’s a great idea, doing something a little more personal. I like that a lot.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We only gave our photographer and our coordinator a tip. We gave our photographer 100 dollars in a Starbucks gift card because we had asked her what coffee company she liked. And our coordinator was a 100 dollar gift card to her favorite restaurant

• Jackie
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't even have a sense of what is right though, the advice online varies massively and until I got engaged I wasn't even aware that tipping vendors was a thing. I was curious what others ended up doing or if they had a better idea of ballparks depending on the service.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Tip what you feel is right. My husband and I didn't go by what the "normal" rate says online.
  • Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So! I also saw 15%-20% but on such a big bill, like yourself, I was not comfortable adding that much more $$$. What we ended up doing was tipping an additional $50-$100.00 for the photographer, hair stylist and make up artist (regretting that I did not tip them more to be honest), catering staff + bartender (x 4), and the band (x 2). We just put the money in an envelope with a thank you card. I do feel like we kind of under tipped, but the services were already pretty expensive so I more so just wanted to give a little thank you token because it soooo adds up!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics