Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Beginner June 2018 British Columbia

We're Paying Though!

Sarah, on January 2, 2018 at 17:37 Posted in British Columbia 0 3

My fiancé and I are paying for our entire wedding ourselves. We chose to do this because we are both financially stable and also wanted to make sure we had our own say about everything at our wedding. We are having a slight issue though with family. They have ideas about what they want for the day, and keep offering to pay for these extra things that they want (not things that we want and cant afford for example). How do I graciously say 'no thank-you' to things like a candy bar... that I don't want there, when they are offering to pay for it. Money is not the issue here, my vision for the day is the issue. It just sort of a sticky subject.. you know?

Advice pleaseeee Smiley smile

3 Comments

Latest activity by Vanessa, on January 5, 2018 at 21:32
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Both girls said it right! We are paying mostly for our wedding, my mother has bought somethings that I have said I liked when she was in the hospital for 10 days straight. She was bored she said. His dad said he would pay for the tent, table and chairs back in July and......let's just say I am not waiting any longer. People like to give us their opinions too. We want an outdoor wedding even though it's more expensive we have a lot more freedom to do what we want than if we were in a hall which would be cheaper. Its a struggle and the struggle is real.

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think "no thank you" is a perfectly fine answer! You can try something like "thanks for the suggestion, I'm not sure it fits into our plans but I'll certainly consider it", or "that idea sounds very nice and I'll give it some thought" or skip right to something more definitive like "thank you for the idea but I'm pretty excited about the plans I've already set" or "that's a really fun idea but it won't work for us".

• Melissa
    Beginner September 2018 British Columbia
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow! That's crazy that other's are trying to plan your day! I guess it happens all the time with family though doesn't it!? Just tell them, "Thanks for the ideas, we'll add them to the list and see what will fit into the budget" and then don't do them, of course! It's your day.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics