Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Laura
Devoted June 2022 Ontario

Weddings in Summer 2021

Laura, on November 2, 2020 at 13:43 Posted in Before the wedding 2 36

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is well and safe. Our wedding date is booked for June 26, 2021 - and lately, I've been feeling like there is no point in planning. We have our save the dates ready to go into the mail and I've had zero motivation to bring them to the post office. I know this is completely out of everyone's control, I'm so disappointed that this is how the lead up to our one big celebration is turning out to be. There's been no joy or excitement in planning, and we haven't been able to book much as caterers can't even quote us on cocktail receptions as they aren't allowed to host them with current restrictions.

For those planning to wed next summer - how are you feeling? Do you still feel there is hope for a decent party?

For us, our wedding was always meant to be a huge bash with all of our family members and since we already live together and are essentially 'married', we care more about getting to host a great party than eloping simply to get married. We want to be able to have a great time with friends and family.

Let me know your thoughts for next summer - I imagine there are a lot of us waiting with baited breath to see what happens in the Spring.

36 Comments

Latest activity by Ali, on November 23, 2020 at 19:13
  • Ali
    Beginner September 2021 Alberta
    Ali ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey there!

I’m in the exact same position as you I feel :’)I had started planning a 150 wedding and made all of my deposits literally 2 weeks before covid. With the pandemic we have now planned to just do an intimate immediate family only wedding.
    My advice if you decide to book the bigger wedding is to make sure you communicate with vendors you book with about “what if restrictions are x,y,z” and “how can you safely accommodate us” type things; only booking with people who will give refund or partial refund and are understanding of this uncertainly. I have lost so so much money by vendors refusing to give me even a penny back because “Sorry! Contract says no money back under no circumstances even if it’s illegal to have more than 50 people!”
    Hang in there Smiley heart
  • Ali
    Beginner September 2021 Alberta
    Ali ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey girl,

I’m June 5, 2021 and I feel you sooo much right now. Despite all of this despair, don’t let it take away from your “being engaged” time. People are still so excited for you and it’s such a magical time to be someone’s “fiancé”. It’s such a short chapter in your love story so I have just been trying to savour that happiness and let it make the sad days of cancelled wedding plans a smidge better. I cancelled my whole reception prophylactically and instead rented out a lounge in a restaurant that will accommodate 50 people in table groups of 6 (depending on what restrictions are in place). It truly is what it is and I promise you, that day will still be so perfect for you.
  • Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Laura,

I understand how you are feeling. I am also June 2021 but on the 18th so just before you.
    I have had the ups and downs, and the meltdowns and even wedding "depression" I call it because we plan for this day and DREAM of this day since we were kids and now it feels as if its crashing down right before our eyes. That being said, I have postponed my wedding twice already... I have booked June 18th 2021 and I am going to STICK TO IT (I hope, that's what I keep telling myself at least) My FH is eager to start a family and I would LIKE to be married before we do that, which means... I should be having the wedding instead of making him wait a whole other year... BUT that's where the sadness comes in, and I don't want to "regret" not doing it properly down the line...

With all these emotions I AM trying to be optimistic since it sounds like EARLY January there will be some vaccinations starting which means HOPEFULLY restrictions can ease a little more! I am ready and trying to prepare myself for whatever situation may come...

I know my rant probably didn't help much but know you are not alone in all of this & take the positives out of what is happening such as the vaccinations.

Here if you need anything ! Smiley heart

• Alexandra
    Newbie August 2021 Ontario
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi everyone,

I hope this brings some positivity to some brides, but with the optimistic outlook of the vaccine being available in early March, I have heard that things will be opening back up by Summer 2021! By opening back up I mean allowing numbers of probably 100 indoors and 150 outdoors (from what I've heard), but at least that is better that the numbers right now. Stay positive, I'm trying to in these hard times, things will get better!

• Emily
    Curious August 2022 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are set to get married August 1, 2021 (postponed from September 2020) and I feel you! I find it really hard to find motivation to plan anything because of all the unknowns. I am also expecting and we will be having our baby girl in February so I am a little stressed about putting off too much because balancing baby and wedding may be stressful.

I think bite size pieces has helped us! We keep a trello board of tasks so tackling small things here and there, like decor items when we see them or following up with vendors.

• Stefanie
    Devoted August 2021 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are the same, we have been together 12 years and have a house and 2 kids together. We are postponed to August 2021 but we fully planned to get married no matter what this time.

I find because I have sooo much done and ready to go I am taking a break on any crafts and stuff until the new year. Right now I am focusing on Christmas. I started to feel some excitement again about a month ago but with covid cases on the rise here in Sask I am back to anxiety rather then excitement. Hopefully in the new year when I get back to wedding stuff it will be better.
  • Patricia
    Newbie April 2021 Ontario
    Patricia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm on the same boat with you. Our wedding is in April 2021 and it sucks to even think about planning. It was meant to be a big party and with the restrictions, it won't be like that, especially since my partner is from a different province so his family likely cannot attend.

It's hard to bring myself up to pick up on planning again (and to send my darn save the dates), but it has to happen!

• Darren
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    Darren ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We we’re supposed to get married August 15 2020 but very early on we changed our date to May 2020, but to be honest with the number of covid cases going in the wrong direction it’s discouraging. Most of our planning is completed but I’ve lost all the motivation to continue planning.

We’re still eager to be married but I guess this is the world we live in now.
  • Sharon
    Curious August 2021 Alberta
    Sharon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Laura

We are planning to get married Aug 2021 - we are continuing to plan as normal and will worry about it closer to the date. The situation for COVID changes daily so I'm really trying not to stress about it when its still so far away. I do have my days though where I feel sad about what's going on and planning feels pointless. Wedding dress shopping wasn't as imagined with limited people and masks. Planning a stagette is also very challenging and I most likely won't get to do it in the winter like I had initially wanted. We've been together for 6 yrs already so as much as I'm wanting the big party I've dreamed about, I'm also just really excited to be husband and wife. I try to remind myself of what's really important and focus on that.

I think its ok to take a break from it to find your excitement again. Perhaps you have a small party and do a big one in 2022 for your one year. I hope you find your joy!

• Juliana
    Newbie August 2021 Ontario
    Juliana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel you on this 100%. We were supposed to get married September 5, 2020, and then postponed to June 5, 2021 however we've just recently made the decision to completely change our plans. Our original wedding had 141 people and sounds like it was much like yours. We just wanted to have an awesome party with all our people. But since it's was such a big party and tons of $$, we didn't want to roll the dice to spend a ton for a party that probably wouldn't shake out the way we want. Maybe we could have all 141 people in June but how would the party be, everyone in masks, sitting far apart, no dancing, no hugging, etc. Plus not to mention trying to plan in a time that we really shouldn't be planning anything in was causing a lot of stress and anxiety and frankly, it just wasn't fun or excited. So that being said, we've cancelled the big wedding and are doing a pop-up wedding (so I barely have to plan anything), showing up, getting married with our immediate family, MOH, and best man, then renting a private dining room. I was originally SO gutted to be cancelling but now I've moved through relief, into excitement about these new plans. I hope whatever you decide works perfectly for you. I feel you. We all do.

• Krista
    Beginner June 2021 Alberta
    Krista ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This virus does not discourage me from continuing any wedding planning. Our date is June 5, 2021. And so far everything is on track. We are in Alberta, and currently our city is restricted to 15 people for in and outdoor gatherings. I am optimistic that this will change com June, and will not put a stop to our wedding. I know I am planning during a "pandemic", so I have made sure that all deposits are refundable, just in case. And we have a very limited guest list. With close friends and immediate family only, we were able to get the list down to 58 people. I believe once RSVP's start coming in, we will be around the 50 mark, if not less. If anything, this has made the wedding much more budget friendly.

We have been together 14 years come March, living together for 13. We already own our home and have 2 children. We have put off our wedding since 2015 to make other things happen instead. So this wedding is more of a final step and celebration of our lives together. We can always host a party any other time, but this day we will be married, even if the guest list has to be reduced to 15. Our guests will understand if that has to happen. We could be waiting for years if we waited for this "pandemic" to end.

• abellaia
    Newbie December 2020 Ontario
    abellaia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My wedding will be on June 25, 2021. It seems that there is still so much time but in fact, time will fly by very quickly...

• Tracy
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm 100% with you. We were to be married Aug 14/20 (our 14th anniversary) in front of our family and friends. Excited have had my dress for 2.5 years and most of the planning done. Our venue cancelled on us this spring and it went downhill from there. Now with COVID cases over 1000 in Ontario currently I've lost my hope, excitement and no longer want to plan our dream wedding. We have the 10/25/50 people lists but still seems disheartening. My fiance lost his job after 21 years due to COVID as well. I want to see 2020 gone and our world to be back to a happy healthier place but don't see it right now. I'm probably not going to do anything until the spring.

Best of luck to everyone. Hugs

• Shantel
    Beginner September 2022 Ontario
    Shantel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel the same way. My wedding is June 18 2021, the original date was this year but we decided to move it to next year. I planned this beautiful wedding and now I don’t know what will happen. I’m feeling very worried and sad
  • Sabrina
    Newbie July 2023 Ontario
    Sabrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is on July 2021, i'm actually nervous, but try to stay positive! 2021 could only get better, we've pass the worst!!!
  • Kaitlyn
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Kaitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I feel this so deeply! One of my BM has been amazing and gets that I feel robbed and she feels robbed for me, so I have been super lucky to be able to vent to her.

Yes, we are very lucky to be healthy and there are worse things but this is our one day! We put in so much time and effort (and lets be honest, stress) and I think many of us are at the point that were like for what!? Is it even going to happen how we envision?

I totally agree with you, we have hired a videographer and I was looking forward to videos of everyone dancing and having a great time...but we can't even dance right now, and honestly, do you really want candid photos and videos with everyone in masks? I sure don't....

You're not a downer at all, most of us are brides here and a lot of us are in the same predicament...I think its more than appropriate to vent here.

• Kaitlyn
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Kaitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Girl! I feel you!!! You and I are actually in the EXACT same boat...our wedding date is the same, we are essentially married (have lived together for over 3 years...everyone considers us married) and want to have a huge celebration with all our friends and family.

Our save the dates are riding around in my car ready to go, but I also feel no rush to send them because who knows how many of those guests will even get an invite.

I am making place cards for our wedding and since our original guest count is 200 I thought starting now would give me plenty of time and maybe add some excitement. Honestly they're not going great and only adding to my frustration with this whole situation.

I hate to sound ungrateful because at the end of the day I am excited to marry my fiance but I only plan on doing this once and it sucks that COVID has essentially stolen this experience from us.

Any suggestions how to get more excited!?

• Naomi
    Frequent user June 2021 Ontario
    Naomi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’ve ordered the Miss to Mrs box myself and it has definitely got me excited about planning again my date is August 8th 2021 and I was feeling really discouraged but that subscription reignited my excitement. I hope everyone gets to get married on their set date with all the people they love. We gotta stay optimistic!
  • Geraldine
    Beginner September 2020 Ontario
    Geraldine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey Girl,

Our original wedding date was June 20th then postponed it to June 6th 2021. And once we started re-opening slowly, we planned a micro-ceremony with no reception just dinner at a restaurant on Sept 19th. I don’t know how next year will be. This reception is suppose to be a celebration where we can hug, dance and party. But if there are restrictions in place, we rather postpone it. We felt incomplete when we only had 50 guests attend our Micro-Ceremony. We wanted our whole family and everyone there but some were just uncomfortable and we don’t want them to still feel uncomfortable for our reception.
    So right now we are still trying to figure out what to do for June 2021 cause for sure we cannot cancel our venue which really sucks!!!
  • Gioia
    Frequent user July 2021 Quebec
    Gioia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Trying to stay positive in this time is obviously very hard for everyone but I believe the best is yet to come for the 2021 wedding season! Let's not give up hope ladies
  • Vika
    Curious October 2021 Ontario
    Vika ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Lindsay! Wishing you luck with your wedding planning. Not sure where exactly your venue is, but some tips for booking during this difficult time that may offer more flexible options:

-See if your venue has a cancellation policy in place for weddings moved because of COVID. Mine did not and I had to fight them to let me move my date into 2021 (finally worked, phew!)

-Lots of wedding venues have person minimums for weddings on Saturday or Sunday, but have no minimum requirements for weddings on a weekday. We took advantage of this by setting our date for a Friday, which means we get a really large space and we only pay the per-plate cost of the amount of people we have. If that's something you're worried about, you could see what options different venues offer where you only pay for the amount of guests you have.

Good luck! We're all with you Smiley smile

• Vika
    Curious October 2021 Ontario
    Vika ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you're reading my mind! My wedding was supposed to take place this past August, but now it has been moved to May 2021. I've been engaged since November 2018 and am also, like you, already living with my husband-to-be. When we first got engaged, we dove right into wedding planning and got a good bulk of it done. But then COVID hit and we had to postpone and now we're finally back to 6/7 months out and I am scared because I feel completely demotivated and disillusioned from the wedding planning now. It's so hard to plan and be excited when everything is hanging in such uncertainty - you're definitely not alone in the feeling.

But, I want to be excited about wedding planning! We've decided that no matter what happens in May, we are going to get married on our new date because we don't want to wait any longer to start our lives together as an official family. If this means we have to give up our golf club venue and move the wedding to our backyard or if it means we have to cut the guest list, we will make it work.

What I've been doing to get re-invigorated with the wedding planning is to re-start my wedding Pinterest hunt, be more active on WeddingWire (check!), and I even ordered myself the "Miss to Mrs" bride-to-be subscription box full of goodies I hope will get my excited to be a bride planning her wedding again.

So many of us are going through what you are right now. Hang in there and try to stay positive. If it helps, have a couple of backup plans, and maybe even secure an alternate date elsewhere if possible. Your love will get you though these tough times Smiley smile

• Lindsay
    Newbie September 2021 Ontario
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m so happy I found this thread and know I’m not the only one struggling with trying to make decisions and plan when there’s so much unknown!

We’re planning for September 2021, and have been going back and forth between an intimate wedding or 100+ people which would be our ideal in a covid free world.
    Especially with the financial risk of booking venues etc, I feel defeated some days thinking about it figure we should just do a small backyard celebration with our immediate family. Although I would feel like some important people would be missing which would be tough.
    Hoping to get some clarity on how best to moved forward and what feels right for us in the next few weeks so I can start booking some things!
  • Lauren
    Newbie May 2021 Ontario
    Lauren ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding is planned for May 15, 2021. We're keeping it small and intimate at 34 guests; however, due to COVID restrictions we could only be allowed a max of 25 guests. It really makes it hard to think about sending out invitations not knowing how many will actually be able to attend unfortunately. When looking at venues, I was really surprised that places are still charging extra room fees, etc. for booking smaller weddings. During these uncertain times, I don't think that we should be penalized for keeping attendance limited if government regulations won't allow larger events anyways. Very frustrating!

• Megan
    Curious April 2022 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are planning on getting married on April 3,2021 and this is our postponed date (we were supposed to get married May this year) and I can’t bear the thought of postponing again... we decided to make a new guest list of just 50 people and not intending to add any more people. That being said we have categorized our guest list just in case we need to make cuts. For us our main priority for our wedding is for it to be more of a party so we will most likely have to postpone if restrictions don’t allow us to dance. I’m feeling pretty uncertain for next year unfortunately and I’m at such a stand still for planning so much that I just don’t want to plan anymore. I still have a little bit of hope for next year but it’s just so hard to tell... hopefully all of us still get our special day!
  • Stefanie
    Devoted August 2021 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were supposed to be marriedi this past August but postponed to August 2021. Recently we have made adjustments to our guest list of possible numbers to prepare for a possible reduction from our original 150ish wedding. We don't want to postpone again. I've basically been preparing myself for the different possibilities. I have basically come to a planning hault other then I am going to work on some of my decor over winter for something to do. Otherwise everything is booked so I don't have a ton to do. We will re order new invitations in the new year and re-evaluate where things are at in February/March for sending the invitations out. I really didn't want something small. I wanted a big celebration with our families as we've been together 12 years and have two kids. It's been long awaited lol. But I am trying to embrace it the best I can.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm not a summer 2021 bride, but I can recognize how you're feeling. I had a planning slump this past spring, especially when it came to spending money or finalizing things.

I have a soft spot for wedding romcoms, so I picked a few and made myself a playlist of sorts to work through all of them. Bride Wars, the Proposal, 27 Dresses, they helped get me into a more happy wedding mindset and would usually motivate me to spend some time on Pinterest or doing a little online wedding shopping. If there's something that makes you happy, do that! Eventually the joy will come back.
  • Alyssa
    Curious December 2021 Alberta
    Alyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are earlier in April next year but flash back to this summer... we hit this planning wall as well. It is hard commit to vendors and ideas when we don't know what it'll look like. Similar to others we've been together for several years and postponing is not a top pick for us. We also feel that large groups will look very different for the next year or so - given the waves of covid still continue.

We sat down the other day and did pros and cons list of every option (even ones we knew we'd be opposed to) - it was very helpful as it became clear what our worries are and what our priorities are. We have three plans and know our "make it or break it" expectations.

I will say, this is a defining time and something that helps me through it is "when I look back on covid-19 and wedding planning, how do I want to tell this story" ... i.e., I was disappointed and upset that it is not my vision but we were inventive and creative. I am grateful for health and that we have the ability to get married still - even if it is an elopement.

While not what we first visioned or thought, I know our priorities are to: be married in front of family/wedding party, getting dressed up and photos for memories. And feel we'll be able to accomplish this, anything beyond these three things will be amazing. Knock on wood... this goes through. My prediction is that in 5 plus years anniversary parties will be big for covid-19 weddings. We are starting to think this may be something to explore depending on how April 2021 shakes out.

• Joanna
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Joanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel the exact same way!
    My fiancé and I are getting married on May 1, 2021 (our ten year anniversary!) and our planning has come to halt.
    We have several contingency plans in place but how fun is planning a wedding that you know may not happen. I don’t even know who to send our invites to at this point? The entire guest list? Do we put a footnote *pending government regulations?*My friends and family keep saying, “oh but to look back and tell your kids you were married in a pandemic...” I’m sorry, I want NO MEMORY of that. It’s not cute... even the bride & groom masks.. no! I don’t want it. I feel disappointed that this has been the experience planning the happiest day of our lives, like we’ve been robbed of the norms and traditions...then I feel guilty because we are safe& healthy and worse things in life. We plan to get legally married on our date if unable to have the wedding we want, but it’s not the wedding we intended.Apparently I’ve been hanging on to some feelings here... haha sorry if this was a downer.
  • Sarah
    Curious July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh I really like the split reception idea! What a great compromise to seeing everyone in the day but keeping numbers down!
  • Kimberly
    Curious July 2021 Alberta
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m getting married on July 24. It’s so stressful trying to plan everything but I’m pushing thru and not letting covid stop me. Sent my save the dates last week, booked my DJ this week. Hoping for the best but will make due with whatever restrictions. Made sure my DJ deposit was refundable, made sure I could lower my count with the caterer, etc. Right now where I am you can have 100 people outside so hoping it doesn’t get worse, thought about splitting my reception in half and doing a brunch for half the guests and dinner for the other half. But will see what the restrictions are by then.
  • Julia
    Newbie June 2021 British Columbia
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m also suppose to get married on June 26 and I’m planning for a small wedding with just immediate family and our bridal party. We already postponed once and I’m not really interested in postponing a second time. Just like you, I always envisioned a huge party with all our family and friends which is why we decided to postpone in the first place but things don’t seem to be getting any better in BC so part of me prays things get better but the other part just doesn’t care anymore.

Praying for all of us brides!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics