Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelsie
Master July 2021 Ontario

Weddings and Covid19

Kelsie, on March 18, 2020 at 08:18 Posted in Ontario 0 15
Morning everyone!

Our DJ posted last night that despite the state of emergency in Toronto, weddings (and funerals) that take place privately (ie banquet halls and other private spaces) with more than 50 people can actually go ahead.
Weddings with more than 50 people in public spaces (I assume this means like parks, etc.) is the area of concern.
It’s a short article but posted by CityNews! This brought a little bit of relief to FH and I this morning as our bridal shower is rapidly approaching.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/toronto.citynews.ca/2020/03/17/coronavirus-weddings-funerals-in-ontario-with-more-than-50-people-banned/amp/

15 Comments

Latest activity by Kelsie, on May 5, 2020 at 15:27
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The only thing I can suggest is to wait - we invited for 325 people for ours. Our venue can hold 400 and we think we'll end up with 200-250. We could probably get away with 50% capacity if the phases re-open to 50%. We're looking at reducing the amount of people at each table as well, so we're ready to have a "new normal" wedding, if we can.

If you're looking at postponing, I would start looking into alternative dates with your vendors sooner rather than later. Our venue right now is booked solid for 2021 - so we may be SOL on postponing altogether.

Our guests have actually told us as long as it can happen they are coming. So, it's really about communicating with your guests and get their feelings about it. For elderly, we are stuck between a rock and a hard place with that. My grandfather is 98, my grandmother is 94, both with declining health. If we postpone, it is likely they may not be here to see us get married. It's very difficult.

We aren't sure how to handle that as we would never want to put them in harm's way - we'd need to discuss with them and probably their doctors to figure out what would be the best course of action.

• K
    Newbie September 2023 Ontario
    Katarina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have a wedding of over 200 at a resort up north in July 2020. It is not a private event space that would allow 50. Not sure if we should cancel and re-schedule to a later date? Even if there are some larger gatherings allowed, who would want to chance going. And when would it be safe for elderly people to join? So confused... not sure what the right move is

• Sadie
    Beginner October 2020 Ontario
    Sadie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh gosh!

I feel ya girl! When it rains it pours!

Our venue couldn't find our money as we asked for everything back minus or deposit to invest ourselves at this time.

My work was refusing and ROE just all insane.

You will get that deposit back there are avenues to go down to make sure you do. Please do not give up. I know it is hard because I'm so happy everyone is healthy and happy due to virus around us. Your case is different but the family needs to know that is YOUR money.

Wishing you the best as well love.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's so irritating. We put a deposit down on invitations in December and the woman suddenly passed away. We're STILL fighting with her son for our deposit back.

It's rough out there... but good things will come!! Wishing all the best to you girly!

• Sadie
    Sadie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I completely understand not getting a full refund.

I spoke to her right when we all found out we could not gather and she was on board and excited for a new date.

She has now changed her tune and is keeping some things she bought as well hundreds of dollars.

She is refusing to speak after I asked for a conference call.

I wish you all the best darling and thank you for your time!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aw I'm so sorry to hear that.

I've heard of people not being refunded for cancelling. I do believe they can keep your deposit if you cancel - its not right but check your contract!

If you're postponing you should be able to fix a new date with no extra charge!

Our wedding right now is still on so we're just waiting. Our florist has moved our decor and floral mock up to May, so we'll see if that ends up happening.

• Sadie
    Sadie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This was prior to our wedding date and out florist still refuses a refund.

We are so sad and sick.

If you could do me a favour please ask your florist would have or did do?

We are in this together and my whole heart is with you!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for your opinion! I think it’s everyone’s personal decision on what they want to do in these crazy circumstances!

I was really excited that weddings were allowed to go ahead as my shower is upcoming and all my guests want to attend.
    As I said, it’s everyone’s choice Smiley smile
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think it depends. From what I've seen in these conversations, most vendors have been really nice about refunds or rescheduling. But on the off-chance they're not, I'm not sure even insurance will bail you out. I've literally seen a number of providers say they will not cover covid-19 related claims.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep in mind, Ford's 50 people ban is only until March 31 unless he extends it based on circumstances. If you really feel like a wedding is a good idea at this time with everything going on, well...

And just because something can legally happen, doesn't mean it should. The reason the various levels of government are doing what they're doing ie asking people to self-isolate instead of making it a legal requirement, instead of taking China-like measures to combat this virus is because it takes A LOT to change or enact new laws. Most venues, even the ones you deem as "private," must follow protocol by a public health agency, whether it be municipal or provincial, in which case if the health authority says it needs to not happen, it won't happen. This is especially the case if they have any type of catering facility in-house.

The only true "private venue" would be something like your house. And no, unless our government decides to turn us into a police state, there's technically nothing they can do to stop a gathering of 50 or more at your house (unless you break fire code). But again, considering everything happening, is that really a good idea?

Sorry to burst your bubble but while it sucks that this situation has caused some weddings to take a detour, I don't want people to be misinformed.

• Stephanie
    Beginner July 2022 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you so much this makes me feel better!

• Sasha
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks Kelsie! I've been looking for some news like this.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Well said and wouldn't want to see anyone is this position to feel their hopes are getting down.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We hope so! I’m sure vendors could still cancel - but the couple would definitely get their money back I think.

Fingers crossed COVID slows and everyone can enjoy their upcoming events shortly.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Good information to know about vendors going ahead with their services based on the location of the wedding taking place. Its scary to have vendors cancel on you given any point of this pandemic.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics