Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Newbie August 2022 Ontario

Wedding Timeline

Carly, on January 29, 2022 at 11:13 Posted in Wedding reception 0 4
Hi everyone! I was hoping for a little help with our wedding timeline and how to fill space throughout the reception. Cocktail hour finishes at 5:00pm so hoping to have everyone seated by 5:15. The problem is our first dance is at 8:45 which is the last event of the reception before the partying because we are doing it at twilight with sparklers! So I’m struggling to fill time from 5:30-8:45, with a toast, 4 speeches, 2 mother/father dances and of course 3 course meal- is 3 hours normal for a reception? Does anyone have any suggestions to fill the time? Or do people just like to eat and socialize in between lol

Thank you!!

4 Comments

Latest activity by Hank, on February 3, 2022 at 10:50
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Throw in some games in between. Could be something simple like the shoe game or something interactive for your guests where the winner from each table keeps the centerpiece etc.

• Kelsey
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Is it possible to have your cocktail hour finish at 6 instead? I've been to a few weddings with a longer reception and either everyone gets wasted or really tired. It can put a damper on the party mood. It's a long time for people to sit.

You could also toss things if you're planning to do that (bouquet and whatnot) or they do those shoe games sometimes also. This will likely only fill another 30 or so minutes though.
  • C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It is normal but a long time for people to be sitting. I would add in some dancing for guests in between courses/encourage them to get up and dance. Slow songs work well here.
  • Katie
    Frequent user June 2023 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi there! If the cocktail hour ends at 5, you will probably not have the first plate down until closer to 530 if not later.
    I used to do weddings at a venue and it takes longer than you think to get everyone in and seated. I always referred it to herding cats haha.And yes 3 hours is normal especially if you re doing speeches between every course.
    Hope that helps!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics