Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tiffany
Frequent user August 2023 Ontario

Wedding speeches yes or no?

Tiffany, on April 20, 2019 at 08:53 Posted in Wedding reception 0 14
As myself and my FH have begun to plan the wedding we started talking about things we wanted and don’t want at the wedding. We actually have talked about not wanting speeches. Sometimes I just feel certain people talk about things that are irrelevant or don’t need to be said or go on and on even if you tell them they have a time limit. I would rather spend our time as a couple mingling with everyone having fun, eating and being married. Am I the only one who feels this way?

14 Comments

Latest activity by Tiffany, on May 21, 2019 at 15:03
  • Tiffany
    Frequent user August 2023 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! People in our families are up in arms about this but we truly want to have more time to dance, mingle, and enjoy each other and family. You words are truly encouraging and made me feel that we are doing what is right!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's best that you and your FH stay authentic and if that means no speeches, then you don't need to have speeches! Do what feels right Smiley smile

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally want speeches at my wedding, but I don't want them to drag on. I'm thinking that if they start going over their time allotment by a bit it won't be too bad, but for the sake of keeping things all on time I will probably do what they do at the award shows and start playing them off with music Smiley tongue I think it would be a funny thing for my DJ to do and kind of hope that it happens more than once Smiley smile (Of course I'm asking that anybody who is giving a speech provides a copy to the DJ so that she can gauge how much longer they need and if they are almost done then don't play them off.)

• Kassandra
    Frequent user May 2020 Alberta
    Kassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're doing "speeches optional" as the dinner/reception aren't running very late. And I'm not forcing anyone to do a speech if they are not comfortable with public speaking. If they want to it's their choice lol for ours
  • Niloofar
    Newbie September 2019 Ontario
    Niloofar ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi, I also think speeches are not absolutely essential for weddings but sometimes certain speeches from your friends can make your wedding more memorable and funSmiley smile)
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing speeches but not a lot and not long ones. Our parents might, best man, maid of honour and maybe our siblings then us and that's it. They will all be short and to the point.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were going to nix speeches but got an earful from both our parents. We didn't see the point of speeches, but our parents made a good point : It's a great opportunity for the couple to thank everyone, as well as the parents to welcome the bride/groom in to the family and wish them an eternity of happiness.

Since we don't have a bridal party, we will only have 3 speeches max (ours, my parents and his parents). I'm limiting it to about 3 minutes each too. They'll be over before we know it!

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're not doing speeches either. we're cutting a few of the traditional parts. we left it open to family if they want to say something then they can but no one is expected to and time won't be slotted for it
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had a number of speeches:
    -brides dad
    -grooms mom & sister
    -brides mom
    -grooms best man
    -brides maid of honour
    Everyone kept their speeches clean and short. Didn’t take more than a half hour to get them all done and he guests actually loved them. We had a lot of people comment that the speeches we well done.

Speechesare really just a personal thing. If you don’t want speeches then just skip them! Totally not a big deal! Or just ask one or two people you trust to stay appropriate to give speeches.
  • Deziray
    Curious August 2019 Ontario
    Deziray ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love the speeches! I have a half hour set aside for them during the last half hour of dinner. So we will still have plenty of time to go mingle with everyone for the rest of the night. Our best man does tend to ramble but it is part of his charm.
  • Jo-Ann
    Curious July 2020 Nova Scotia
    Jo-Ann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am with you on this one. I think just basic speeches from dads on both sides and best man are enough. And a couple thank you to guests
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had speeches and made it clear to the wedding party to keep it short 2 minutes as I also gave one on behalf of my husband. It was good and less to worry about going to let it open mic for anyone to say anything.

Give options to the wedding party to speak together and a time limit as to your parents saying what they would like and yourself at the end to finish it all.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As Kelsie said, it’s completely up to you with regards to speeches in terms of who speaks and rather you have them at all. I agree that sometimes the speeches can drag on or irrelevant/inappropriate things.

we’re having speeches. Our best man, both sets of parents and us will say something, but I do want to keep them short.

You could tell your speech makers that you’d like to keep speeches brief and maybe suggest to them a time for their speech.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m having speeches.

if you’re worried about having certain people speak, you could always just have you and your partner speak, and parents? Limit the time as well!

Alternatively, you could just speak.

I think a speech is a good way to thank everyone for coming.

with that in mind, speeches aren’t necessary, if you really don’t want them you don’t have to have them!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics