Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amanda
Super June 2019 Ontario

Wedding speeches

Amanda, on April 29, 2019 at 09:39 Posted in Wedding reception 0 16

Is everyone doing speeches at their wedding ?? We will definitely say something and thank everyone for coming but we weren't planning for anyone else to give speeches... A couple of our friends in the wedding party really want to and we're kinda nervous about one of them in particular so we're trying to set some ground rules. We just want any lines crossed, we have good senses of humour but sometimes people tend to make jokes they think are funny but are actually really offside... Any one else nervous about this??

Bridesmaids: 'Best Friend Speech' Scene

Wedding speeches

16 Comments

Latest activity by Tiffany, on April 1, 2020 at 10:36
  • Tiffany
    Frequent user August 2023 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing our thank you speeches but we have decided to not have anyone else do speeches. We are having a small wedding about 60-70 people, family only. So everyone knows how we met and fell and in love so we decided to pass on the speech part. We just want our wedding to be fun, full of love and laughter. Do whatever makes you feel the best....it is after all your day!

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No one has asked us to do a speech and neither of us plan to (besides thanking everyone for coming to the wedding, etc.)

My mom keeps telling my dad it's "his turn" to, but I have no idea whether he will or won't.

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didn't really think of this till just now. I think myself and my FH will do our thank you speech, but since there is no formal sit down dinner there is no real opportunity for other people to give a speech. I guess just one more thing to make a decision on lol !
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing the typical MOH/BM, Parents of bride, parents of groom, and then the bride/groom speech. We told everyone else in our wedding party that if they want to make a speech then they can do so at the rehearsal dinner. So far no one else has asked to do a speech, and our DJ is going to announce that there will be no speeches throughout dinner unless arranged with my bride and groom.

Having a little more control over the speech givers makes us feel a lot better about it, and I know those who are making speeches at the wedding will keep it tasteful. Just talk to the people making speeches and maybe remind them that it's a special occasion?

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having speeches, my MOH, his bestwoman both sets of parents and us will give a speech. We did give certain ground rules (i.e no embarrassing/NSFW stories/too much swearing) so I'm not too worried about how the speeches will turn out.

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding is pretty small and low-key, but my adult kids asked if they could say something at the wedding, and FH's best man asked as well - I am more than happy to have them each say something. FH and I will have a brief "thanks for coming" but hopefully the whole things will be short and sweet. Smiley smile

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think speeches are nice and it gives the guests who may not be as close with the couple getting married an oppourtunity to hear nice stories or things about them. And I think it'sa great way for the couple to thank anyone who may havev helped them with their wedding planning.

• A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If we didn't have to give speeches, we wouldn't because both of us hate talking in front of crowds. That being said, I believe I will be the one doing the Thank You for coming speech.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having speeches. They are a cute and fun wedding tradition we wanted to keep. Our parents, bestman, MOH will all make speeches, possibly siblings and we will also make a speech.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    FH is not a big fan of speaking in big crowds, but we will be doing a short little thank you.
    We are also limiting the amount of speeches and just keeping it to our parents, MOH and best man.
    This way it’s short and sweet and only a couple speeches from each side of the family
  • Karisa
    Beginner May 2019 Alberta
    Karisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We both hate speaking in public and refuse to do speeches, both of our parents want to say something but we aren't asking anyone else to speak. It gets to be too much as a guest to listen to a bunch of speeches, plus the bar usually closes Smiley smile

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's actually been a point of contention. My FH's family don't do speeches and don't want any, but our side always does them. So my mom and my great uncle will for sure. I'd like my brother-in-law (the best man) and sister-in-law (maid of honour) to speak as well, but I'm not sure they will. I will also say something short. I don't think my FH will though.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re having speeches. We’ll be speaking, both sets of parents and MOH (my sister) and BM (brother in law).

i’m not nervous about it.

if you’re worried about time, create like a two or three minute maximum or something.

if you’re worried about particular people speaking on your bridal party - only have your MOH and BM speak. At the end of the day, it’s about what you want, not other people.
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

VERY NERVOUS! His family used to have a nickname for me that was rude in anyway you say it. They nickname all his gf's rude names and then when we became serious they eventually stopped. Thank god and I had spoken up few times as well. They still find it funny and I don't want them to mention few things or bring it up. We will be giving rules or guidelines prior to anyone who is making speeches.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hahha a joint roast!! oh boy.. I'm sure my dad is going to have a few things to say like that as well

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

SUPER nervous! Our friends and family have already told us that it will be more like a joint roast and less like a wedding for the two of us 😂

I guess that's what we get for being so sassy and cheeky growing up though Smiley tongue

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics