Public speaking is not fun for a lot of us! But at some point in our life we have to do it and a wedding is where the speeches happen.
Nervous? Don't Be! Everyone is there for the same reason to celebrate the newly wed couple! Below are a few of my tips that will hopefully help you prepare:
- Introduce yourself and how you know the bride & groom. (Not everyone may know who you are.)
- Thank the person before you.
- Keep it short – best to stick to a couple of minutes
Speak from the heart, be sweet.
- If you get emotional, take a breath, pause, and continue
- Talk slowly (there is no rush) and clearly.
- Remember to breathe! Pause between thoughts.
- Be yourself!
- Be positive!
- Be personal but no inside jokes.
- Keep it light and appropriate for everyone. (Don’t shock the grandparents)
Talk about both the bride and groom.
- Give the newlyweds your best wishes/hopes for the future.
- If you want to use a quote, make sure it is meaningful to them.
- And don’t forget to ask people to toast the couple & raise your glass!
- Cue cards will help you with your key thoughts.
- Practice, even record yourself.
- Above all have fun, spread the love and joy of the occasion.
- Don’t worry if you forget to say something – you will be the only person that knows it!