Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Faith
Newbie July 2023 Ontario

Wedding Raffle

Faith, on January 20, 2023 at 12:29 Posted in Before the wedding 1 12
So my wedding is in July and we are thinking of doing a raffle and a 50/50 in place of a Jack and Jill. I know absolutely nothing about how to go about this, and my wedding party isn't all that involved the way they typically should be. My fiance and I are thinking about buying prizes, but I was wondering if anyone has any insight on other ways to go about securing prizes! Any help or suggestions would be amazing (we're located in Ontario, Canada - in case this makes any difference!)

12 Comments

Latest activity by Carine, on September 5, 2023 at 09:24
  • C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Weird, because I do a 50/50 once a month at work and my mother-in-law is doing one for my baby shower, if you look online, there's nothing saying you need a license or permit.

It's not a lottery.

• Gina
    Newbie October 2023 Ontario
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I see so many people doing 50/50 draws, raffles etc to raise money for their wedding and thought that we would be able do it no problem. But recently, someone messaged my mother saying for us to watch out as apparently we need a license #on our tickets and could get into trouble. I don’t know if I should keep going or shut it all down as I haven’t found much information on this.
  • R
    Newbie September 2023 Ontario
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a raffle online/ in person.. we are selling tickets 1 for 15 or 3 for 30
    We have 2 x 300 prize value gift packs to be won...
  • Andrea
    Newbie November 2023 Ontario
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I just want to say we just closed our wedding raffle with prizes, not 50/50 that was done 100% online with ticketes marked in a spreadsheet (we gave people their ticket #s as a sort of receipt). Most of our bridal party didn't sell or buy tickets, but even with that we raised $6000. We got prizes discounted from my work and his parents offered to cover the cost of a few of them as well.

• C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My pleasure, it's actually really fun, you can use music, add background noise, clapping when the winner is announced, each entry has its own color, you can do so much fun stuff with it.

• Faith
    Newbie July 2023 Ontario
    Faith ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! I didn't know about the Google thing, so that's actually perfect! I appreciate this a lot Smiley smile
  • C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Most people buying would be friends and family members so the trust would be there.

You can buy rolls of tickets on Amazon for this exact thing. They buy tickets, here at work we do 1 for $1, $5 for 10, $10 for 25. they get one side of tickets and the other side they write their names and phone number, and it goes to you. You can then sign up on google there's a thing called wheel of names and enter each ticket number and when the time comes you make a video showing the wheel spinning and the wheel picks the winner so everyone knows it's not rigged.

Same if you have gift baskets, just sell tickets. As long as people know it's a private ticket sell, and that it's not for charity but a fun way to raise money for your wedding. You should be fine.

Not everyone who is invited to a jack and Jill is invited to the wedding that is a given, most people going is for the party. People who actually know what a jack and jill know what it's for. Anyone buying tickets would be friends and family of the bride and groom or friends of friends.

Don't let some people ruin it for you. Done right it can be a lot of fun and worth it.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not saying people are against raffles but there's a specific time and place for them. A raffle taking place at a party I'm attending where I could walk away with the prize and I see the physical tickets being picked, sure. Especially if the raffle is for a good cause like charity, why not? There's a personal connection in these instances as opposed to contributing to random person X's wedding done through Facebook or Instagram. Not to mention, certain logistics like how the money is collected or ensuring the raffle is not rigged alone would make me hesitant.

And while some people may take extra precautions since the pandemic, I would argue that there's a huge appetite for in-person functions.

If you insist on holding a raffle to raise funds, I suggest doing it via an in-person party of some kind. Giving guests something more than just the raffle would entice them more. Just my two cents.

• Faith
    Newbie July 2023 Ontario
    Faith ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I don't know many people who wouldn't purchase from a raffle. I participate in MANY raffles, for all sorts of purposes! Not to mention, since covid, in person functions have started to become a thing of the past. But, that's just my opinion.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just my opinion but I personally don't see the appeal. Typically a raffle at the Jack and Jill means you can invite the community, even those you don't know personally, to attend. I'd be very hesitant to buy a ticket for an online raffle from someone I don't know and I don't think I'd be alone in that. If you're only selling to friends and family, it can create mixed feelings as the people who are likely to attend (and give a gift) is also funding the wedding. I can see how that would rub some people the wrong way.

There's also the whole legal aspect, being it's illegal for an individual to run an electronic raffle for profit.

• Faith
    Newbie July 2023 Ontario
    Faith ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes! We would be doing everything online, tickets sold on social media along with pictures of the prizes.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Are you just having the raffle without the Jack and Jill party? Where would you sell tickets and announce the prizes?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics