Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vanessa
Expert August 2018 Manitoba

Wedding Photographers/ Engagement Photos/videographers

Vanessa, on October 13, 2017 at 18:30 Posted in Before the wedding 0 13

Hi everyone,

I am starting to look at wedding photographers and am hoping to stick within my area. The one lady I want I just found out that she only gives 100 photos give or take edited and none of the unedited ones while other photographers give anywhere from 500- 800 photos so I believe I have ruled her out as at 200.00 per hour for that many photographs I don't think so.

Did you have the same person do your engagement photos as you did your wedding photos? Did you have 1 photographer or 2? Did you opt for a photographer and a videographer for the wedding? I am hoping more local to avoid extra costs such as travel. I have talked to people about a local photographer who just graduated from high school and she's not bad and has taken professional courses but i'm not in love with all her work. What should I do? Throw some more hints out there locally? There's another woman who does some photos but she tends not to be the most reliable when it comes to other things and takes forever so I am told getting back to you.

Would love some input? I am hoping to have my engagement photos in the next 2 weeks and still haven't booked anyone local and waiting on someone to get back to me can be scary as they are too busy already.

13 Comments

Latest activity by Maegan, on October 23, 2017 at 08:55
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Im glad you got the engagement session figured out. Im excited to see photos! Just keep looking and someone will come up that will be right for you for the weddingohotography Smiley smile
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

An update on where we are at. The woman I wanted to do our photography I have decided against I asked her to do our engagement session and she said i will have to get back to you and she never did for a specific date. I asked another woman I have done photography with before and she charges $75.00 for an engagement photo session. Only 100.00 an hour for wedding but only up to 4 hours so that is not happening. She told me she would be coming but her friend whose also a photographer who would be taking the pictures. I was a little skeptical at first but in the long run yesterday we had our engagement photos by a professional someone who owns his own travel photography company who is just visiting from Mexico Playa Del Carmen who normally charges a lot more than 75.00. I was floored. He was amazing. I am stoked to get our photos back. He was more excited than I think I was every picture he took. Our location was my house and the barn my FH's grandfather built over 60 years ago. It may not last the winter but it will last forever in my heart. Pictures to follow. Still haven't figured out our photographer for the wedding though as we want all day coverage and I don't know if he will be around for it.

• Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If photography is really important to you, I would advise you not to compromise. Don't book someone just because they are less expensive if you don't like their style because you won't be happy in the end (and you only get this day once!). For us, booking a professional photographer with experience, with a style and personality that we liked was super important. We had to increase our budget and I agonized over that for a while, but we have no regrets. Our pictures are amazing and we LOVED our photographer so much.

Now this is just our experience, but my brother booked a cheap photographer for his wedding and his pictures were not good. Not to say that new or inexpensive photographers cannot give you quality photos - we all have to start somewhere! But do your research, look through their portfolio, meet them in person and don't compromise on quality for cost.

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I found a photographer on Kijiji for $260.00 for 3 hours. I really liked his work when I checked the website, and I phoned several references to find out if they were happy. He took around 150 photos and I think that was enough to put together an album. We only had the one photographer. He was starting to build his business so we were able to get a really good price.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Vanessa!

We used the same photographer for our engagement and wedding pictures - and I highly recommend doing that!! Lots of photographers include an engagement session as part of their wedding package, because the photographer also wants you to do an engagement shoot Smiley shame We thought of it as a "professional photo taking rehearsal" and used the engagement session as an opportunity to get to know our photographer better, and to learn how to pose and loosen up in front of the camera. When we got our engagement pictures back it reaffirmed our wedding photographer choice (because we could see her awesome work first-hand), and we made some mental notes about our poses and facial expressions!

Hiring photographer with a second shooter will be more expensive, but it was something I really wanted. Having a second shooter allowed us to speed up the photo taking process a little, and the photographers split up on the wedding day to take getting ready pictures of the bride and bridesmaids and groom and groomsmen in different locations. I also think it's really nice to have two shooters for the wedding ceremony - I wanted pictures of me walking down the aisle from the front and back and having two shooters help to ensure you get multiple angles and views of those special moments.

We did also hire a videographer because I'm obsessed with wedding videos Smiley heart Our videographer was equally as expensive as our photographer but it was something we prioritized! Neither of us are particularly photogenic and don't love looking at pictures of ourselves, and I think the wedding video really captures the feelings and spirit of the wedding day in a unique way!

Wedding Photography 101

Wedding Videography 101

• Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Holy crap thats a good deal!
  • Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My photographer is charging us $1500 for 11 hours of photography with two photographers, a twenty page photo album, 300 guaranteed photos (but likely more like 600-800), and an engagement shoot. We just got 12 sneak peek shots from our engagement shoot and they look amazing!
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our engagement and wedding photos were done by mostly the same people. We had 2 photographers at our wedding and they were awesome! They were a gift from a family friend though so I don't know pricing details unfortunately.

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It was cheaper to do my engagement photos and wedding photos together with one person. I got 100 wedding photos and my photographers were the same price as yours. Everyone seemed to fall in that ball park. I'm surprised there's some that do 500-800 photos. I would definitely go with one that you love their style. Would also meet them in person if you have the time as you might feel good after you've met them
  • Katelyn
    Frequent user August 2018 Alberta
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes, it’s my understanding that the main reason photographers sometimes provide complimentary engagement shots is to get to know the couple and what types of photos work well before the big day!
  • Katelyn
    Frequent user August 2018 Alberta
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our photographer charged about $3600 including travel costs for the 1000km trek. This includes a complimentary 1 hour engagement photo session and full coverage of the wedding from getting ready in the morning through the first dance (approx 10 h). Courtney Jess Photography!
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    $200/hr is a good price and 100 edited photos is a lot. We paid $400/hr and ended up with about 200 edited pictures. The photographer took easily double that many pictures, especially since there were several of the same people taken in quick succession, but they removed the ones where people had their eyes closed, etc. so we ended up with the best of all the multiples. 500-800 pictures sounds like raw pictures with no edits, then you have to do the screening through the multiples of the same picture. I would ask each photographer to clarify to make sure you’re comparing apples to apples.
  • Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do you have a photography budget to work within?? $200/ hour is actually not a bad deal if you just want a couple hours of photography. I am paying $1500 for 5 hours of photography ($300/hour) and an engagement session and she was the cheapest i found by hundreds of dollars without moving to an amateur photographer. A hundred editted photos works out to a lot of pictures....
    I would also recommend getting your engagement photos done with the same photographer if possible. That way the photographer gets to know you and your style a bit before the wedding and will be better able to capture the essence of 'you' on your special day.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics