Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MJay
Beginner October 2018 Quebec

Wedding Party Feelings

MJay, on September 18, 2019 at 08:42 Posted in Before the wedding 0 5
Hi all! I need some help moving on. Two good friends of mine are getting married. They were both in mine and my husband's wedding party. When they got engaged, the bride took me out to dinner and let me know that I wouldn't be in her wedding party. I thought that it was really nice of her to let me know that way. It isn't my day and she went above and beyond by taking my feelings into consideration when she has a lot going on. But I just found out that my husband is going to be in the wedding party. She didn't tell me that night and I had assumed that neither of us would be. I'm super sad that I am going to have to see him doing all of the things that I really wanted to do. I want to get over it, but I just get sad everytime that the groomsmen are needed to do something. My husband doesn't even care that he is in the wedding party. In fact, I think that he'd prefer not to be. How do i get over this? I don't think that they should have to have me in the wedding party if they dont want to, but I wish that they weren't splitting my husband and I up. I'm pretty crushed right now.

5 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on September 23, 2019 at 11:52
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Awww that sucks to hear! but she may have some closer friends or family that she is putting in her party. Plus maybe ur husband and her FH talk all the time etc or have known each other longer kinda thing. I had a few people put me in their wedding party however now that mine is coming up i wont be putting all of them but its just cuz im closer with the girls that i picked. I actually didnt even tell the girls of the weddings i was in that i havent picked them so that was nice of her to at least sit you down and let you know. but i wouldnt worry too much just enjoy being a guest and have fun!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It definitely can hurt that your husband is in the wedding party but you're not - but there is probably some good reasons. He might be one of the guys better friends and your friend might have had to reduce the number she wants to have matching sides.

Don't take it personally, as someone who's been a bridesmaid and my FH was just a guest, I still got to see him quite a bit at the reception.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Man, I don't even know how I'd feel. I'm sure I will one day though as I don't expect at least a couple of my BM's to ask me as they have a whole lineup of sisters though.

I mean, I don't have very many friends to begin with and my FH does so we are what Lisa would call the exception - but when it comes to their future wedding's I'm sure I won't be asked. It sucks and you feel childish having that feeling of "but I asked you to be in mine!" but I totally get the whole they might have family or they might be closer to some other girls that they see more often as they might just have a bigger circle of friends. Heck, I went to my FH's cousin's bachelorette party and she had like 20 girls there!!

• MJay
    Beginner October 2018 Quebec
    MJay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Lisa,

Thanks so much for your response. I do have people to sit with. My good friend and I are going to make the best of it together! I appreciate your perspective a lot!
  • Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Megan,

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way! It was very considerate of her to let you know that you wouldn't be included in the wedding party, and of course disappointing that she didn't mention that your husband would be.

In my experience, many women have a larger number of friends and family that they feel close enough to want to include in the wedding party than men (always exceptions to this, of course).

I'd guess that it's not that she doesn't feel close to you (otherwise she likely wouldn't have been in yours) but that maybe they decided together that having an even number of people on either side is important to them and she has either closer family members or friends that she just absolutely couldn't not include in her party.

Maybe mention to her that you were a little hurt that she didn't tell you that your husband would be included, just so you get that out there. Many times there are couples that only have one person in the wedding party and still manage to have a great time that day and night. He will probably be sitting at a head table, but I'm hoping/assuming you'll know a decent number of people there to sit and socialize with during dinner and then you and hubby can sit together when the party starts?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics