Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amanda
Super June 2019 Ontario

Wedding License

Amanda, on May 3, 2019 at 07:53 Posted in Before the wedding 0 17

Ok my wedding is in 35 days... I have the forms for the wedding license, when do I have to bring them in? I've read not to do it too early.. but I don't want to leave it too late as I have no idea how long it all takes??

Is 3 weeks before the wedding a good time ?

17 Comments

Latest activity by Pacifica West, on May 6, 2019 at 17:39
  • Pacifica West
    Beginner August 2019 British Columbia
    Pacifica West ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hello, Amanda.

First, congratulations on your wedding!

My fiance and I are getting married in August. We went to take care of our wedding license last week, and we were told we were to early. Apparently, you have to go a maximum of 60 days before your wedding. So, you should be good with going 3 weeks before the date, though it may depend on where you live as well. I am in British Columbia, Canada.

Hope this helps!

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can do it anytime between 90-10 days before the wedding Smiley smile

We went in with all the forms and walked out 20 minutes later with the license!

• Kassandra
    Frequent user May 2020 Alberta
    Kassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Here in Alberta they are good for 90 days too 😊 we will probably end up getting ours in April, a month before(2020).
  • Rachel
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In Ontario, they're good for 90 days, so you're in the clear, you can get it at any point. They print them same day, so if your city hall tends to be busy, it may take an hour or two of waiting in line to file, and then waiting for it to be prepared. Our city hall isn't usually very busy so we were only there for about 30 minutes in total.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got ours the same day as it was filled out on the form printed online. City hall may vary if they need 3 days to have the form prepared. Call the local city hall and inquire so you have an idea.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will be getting ours the week of the wedding, since we won't be back in Ontario till then we have no choice. Luckily our officiant works there and we will be able to give it to her right away!
    You have 90 days once you get it and you get it the day you go for it so you could actt go the day before the wedding if you wanted, I wouldn't but you could.
  • Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You'll need a license to get married. So definitely do it asap, then give to your officiant to hold onto. They will need it in order to submit your paperwork to get your marriage certificate.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yep 3 weeks is fine! We are 3 weeks out from the wedding now and we are going next week to pick ours up! It's pretty much right away, the longest part is the line to wait in if theres any haha!

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I did it three weeks before the wedding. They print it out right there and give it to you to give to your officiant. So you don’t have to wait for anything in the mail. I guess this is Alberta so I’m not sure about where you live. But I’m assuming it’s the same. You just go to your local registers office, same place you get your license and registration.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the info! I’m far from needing the license yet but good to know! Smiley smile
  • M
    Curious January 2020 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Opposite - license to perform marriage first than certificate after marriage as proof that it took place

https://www.ontario.ca/page/getting-married

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ok perfect... Thanks!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You will need to bring all the application forms in and submit them to be able to get the license. I would do this asap!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You get the license after you’re married I believe. I think you need a marriage certificate (which you get either at or after the wedding I am guessing) and you need the certificate to get the marriage license.
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So I don't need to bring the application forms to city hall ahead of time to get the license? I have the forms, I just haven't done anything with them yet.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Have you did the application already? If so, I would bring it with you to the rehearsal and give to your officiant then.

• M
    Curious January 2020 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In Ontario you have 90 days after you get the license to use it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics