Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Shauna
Curious July 2018 Alberta

Wedding Hidden Costs

Shauna, on September 18, 2017 at 15:27 Posted in Before the wedding 0 25

Anyone out there have any insights into the hidden costs of weddings? I really want to stick to budget, so I want to know what things I need to consider.

25 Comments

Latest activity by Samtam, on September 22, 2017 at 17:59
  • Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with what the others have said about tax, gratuity, tips and stamps. Some other things to consider are: a hotel room for the night of the wedding (and possibly the night before), transportation to and from the venues (if you need it), vendor meals (don't forget to feed them! They're usually less expensive than the guest meals though).

Some hotels will comp your hotel room if you are having your wedding at the hotel or if you have a certain number of people book through your room block. It never hurts to ask!

And just remember that DIY does not always mean that it will be less expensive! Sometimes it's cheaper to let the professionals take care of it!

Another tip if you want to do a nice wedding cake is to do a small display cake and then have the rest of the servings in sheet cake in the back. The sheet cake tastes the same but is less expensive since it's not all decorated. (which once you cut it up, they won't see anymore anyways)

• Shauna
    Shauna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh gratuity. Got it!

• Shauna
    Shauna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hmmmm. I'll have to think about some good gifts. Man is there ever a lot to do with weddings.

• Shauna
    Shauna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You're right Ashley. The budget tool is so helpful.

• Shauna
    Shauna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know about the Socan. But what's the resound fee?

• Shauna
    Shauna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Photogs are so expensive. My work buddy is also a photographer, so I'm getting a great deal.

STAMPS!

• R
    Curious December 2017 Ontario
    Ranaaaaaa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cake Topper and Bridal party gifts!

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had to totally re-work my wedding budget once I realized I wasn't thinking about taxes, gratuity, service fees, setup/delivery fees, etc. Remember that if you've set aside $2,000 for a photographer for example, that you shouldn't look at $2,000 packages - because then when you add everything up you'll be over budget!

Also don't forget about the cost of stamps!!

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The hidden fees we found out about at our venue are the so can and re sound fees. There are also corking fees and cake cutting fees too.

• Ashley
    Expert March 2018 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you use the budget tool on this website it helps to know where your money is going and how much everything will roughly cost. I have found it so helpful in planning my wedding then I know where I need to cut corners and where I can splurge a little extra!

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Shauna, we gave our best man a book that he would be interested in and a leather passport folder, our matron of honour an adult colouring kit with pictures and pencil crayons and a sparkly bracelet with blue and clear stones, my bridesmaid a lovely scarf and a brooch in pink stones to match as well as two small journals, and our groomsmen will be getting Buxton calf leather wallets. Now for the prices. Since I'm the queen of bargains, here's what I spent and where I got it:

Book - most expensive item from Amazon because he's hard to buy for - $20.00

Leather passport folder - new at Varage Sale - $5.00

Adult Colouring Kit - Reg. price $19.99 - new at Varage Sale for $2.00

Bracelet - Varage Sale 0 $10.00

Grey and Silver Scarf - New at Value Village - $1.50

Brooch - Value Village - $5.00

Journals - Liquidation World - 0.49 each

Calf Leather Wallets - new at Varage Sale - $7.50 each

• Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Usually the venue has it listed in their contract as an automatic charge. I'm only tipping people who are providing a service and don't own their own business. So really I don't have anyone to tip outside of hair stylist.
  • Shauna
    Shauna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you usually tip the venue and the vendors?

• Shauna
    Shauna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I totally forgot about wedding party gifts. What did you give?

• Shauna
    Shauna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hahahaha!

Everything IS expensive.

• Shauna
    Shauna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's so true.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Tax, tips, and corkage fees. Some places hit you with a corkage fee after the fact and you weren't expecting it. Our venue has it built into the price of their services.

Dress alterations is another one I feel like is overlooked. Your dress budget may be a certain amount, but if you don't factor in alterations, you could easily go over.

• Tiffany
    Devoted October 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh don't forget about hair and make up trials ! Alterations for dress
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with most people here that taxes and tip are something you don't necessarily think about until someone brings it up.
  • B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nothing is hidden but everything is expensive lol
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Include gifts for your wedding party, flowers, centre pieces, DJ, officiant, card box, seating chart, place cards, getting your hair and nails done, FH's suit, shoes, tie, haircut, etc.

• Lesley
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Also I should mention there are a couple of extra things I'll be doing that I consider wedding related like getting my roots done, eyebrow waxing, etc little things i don't do all the time.
  • Tiffany
    Devoted October 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely the tax & tips! and any little extras - like unity ceremony/DIY decore items.
    Special cake knife/pen. I find it's all those little things that add up quickly!!

• A
    Beginner October 2018 Ontario
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was not prepared for the taxes and gratuity added onto our preliminary quote from our venue, it added almost $1,000 - so make sure you factor that in.... 15% gratuity (in Ontario anyways) on all food and beverage purchases... and then taxes on the whole thing.

• Lesley
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'd make sure to include tips and taxes in your budget. Sometimes that can make a big difference.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics