Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jade
Newbie December 2019 Ontario

Wedding Favours...yay or Nay?

Jade, on October 9, 2017 at 14:26 Posted in Wedding reception 0 20

I always end up throwing mine straight in the garbage. I get that it's nice but they seem super wasteful to me. What do we think?

J

20 Comments

Latest activity by AVC, on November 23, 2020 at 16:55
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our gifts to our guests.

Wedding Favours...yay or Nay? 1
  • Melissa
    Beginner September 2018 British Columbia
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm doing hand-made chocolates, done by a friend who makes "raw" chocolate. Will be personal and not very expensive

• Jennifer
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are outdoorsy people with a mountain wedding. Our wedding is going to be a mix of moody, rustic & bohemian. We were discussing weddings favours and how a lot of people throw them out & decided (well, 95% at this point) on a candy bar during the reception and then giving tree seedlings away as our wedding favor. Planting trees & giving back to nature is important to us, and thought it might be a neat thing for people to do. And if people plant their tree somewhere where they can watch it grow, it will always remind them of us and our special day!

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like favors, especially if they are food! Something small like jams, cookies, or chocolates always seem to go over well. Did you make up your mind yet?

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The quote is a great idea! I went to a wedding this summer that had skeleton key bottle openers as favors... Definitely did not realize it was a bottle opener until i got home 2 days later. Lol!
  • Megan
    Curious December 2017 Prince Edward Island
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We wanted to make sure they were something people could actually use or something that we use as a couple all the time. So we went with bottle openers lol, We're gettting married at a historical home so we went with Skeleton key bottle openers. We got them for 1$ each on amazon which also included a "thank you" tag, twine and bubble boxes. They were a great deal and we know they'll be a big hit.The oonly issue was when we showed some close friends they didn't know right away what they were. So we invested in some little stickers for the bubble boxes that had the quote "the key to happiness is love... and a bottle opener" so the guests know what the gift is before they even open it!

• Katelyn
    Frequent user August 2018 Alberta
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went to a wedding where instead of wedding favours, they took that money and donated it to charity. It was a charity that was special to the family, and the bride and groom talked out it in their speech. I thought it was so nice - doing something useful with the money and helping others Smiley smile we are considering doing something similar!
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did edible wedding favours. We did Ferrero roche chocolates! I got them on an amazing sale, and our colours were purple and gold - we did the chocolates in a purple organza bag with favour tags on them!

Wedding Favours...yay or Nay? 2

• Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We just went through this same dilemma! I would be okay with doing favours as long as they're edible. I find that, otherwise, they just get thrown out or left on the tables.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We made a spice rub for everyone which was super simple and not overly costly. We agreed that unless it was useful or edible it was a waste of time. Turns out my husband forgot to put them out on the table when they were setting up so the favours only came out near the end of the night so some people ended up with more than 1 which is fine. People seemed to have really liked it as we have had a few comments already! Smiley smile

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My thought was that if they can't use it or eat it, it will probably be thrown out and become a waste of our time and money. We got homemade fudge from a very well-loved local vendor and we had none left!

Some people also make a donation to a charity near to them in lieu of gifts, which I think is a great option as well!

• Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think it's a requirement. However, I'm a big fan of edible favors. We had a morning/brunch wedding so I made homemade granola that I put in mason jars. People were pretty excited! And now every time I make that granola recipe, I call it "wedding granola" so it will have meaning for us forever too!

• Ashley
    Expert March 2018 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are serving cupcakes as our wedding cake, but instead of serving them to our guests we are having them wrapped up as take-aways, since our meal already includes dessert.

• Chanelle
    Frequent user September 2019 British Columbia
    Chanelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just heard about this yesterday and I LOVED the idea.
    Somehow the photographer went around at the wedding and got photos of all the couples/families in front of a white backdrop with good lighting. As a thank you gift when the thank you cards were sent, the bride and groom had blown up 1 of these photos for each couple/family to and 8x10 in black and white so it could be framed.
    I loved that people got a professional photo out of it, it was simple, not too costly, and made use of the expensive photography we are all paying for.
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I made apple butter and peach/plum compote and they seemed to like that. What about a polaroid photo taken at the wedding? They would probably keep that.

• Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I completely agree, I usually toss it or leave it on the table. But for our wedding I felt like I wanted to do something but it's something that most people will use. We got a local bee keeper to make us jars of honey. I figured it is something people use in tea or on bread or recipes, etc so it should hopefully not go to waste!
    It's totally up to you, I think most people wouldn't be devastated if there wasn't a favour on their table

Wedding Favours...yay or Nay? - 1
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I vote Nay - unless there's something specific you know you want to do!! The best favors are edible and local or personal to the couple Smiley heart

But you can absolutely skip favors Smiley shame

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That’s why we made a donation to a charity.
  • Jade
    Newbie December 2019 Ontario
    Jade ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's a great idea and I'm sure your guests will love it Smiley smile

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's why for mine I'm counting everyones favors as the photobooth photos. It's got our wedding date, and those who don't want to do it, don't get one. Simple as that. We paid for unlimited prints, so whoever doesn't want one, then whatever. No wasted favors.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics