Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Chanel
Newbie May 2024 Ontario

Wedding dress shopping

Chanel, on October 28, 2022 at 19:11 Posted in Before the wedding 0 14
I’m getting married in May 2024 - about 18 months from now. Is it too early to start trying on dresses just to get an idea of my style?

14 Comments

Latest activity by Petrina, on January 26, 2023 at 23:19
  • Petrina
    Curious September 2024 Ontario
    Petrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm getting married in Sept 2024 and I've gone to 2 stores already. I want to take my time to find the perfect dress and I have 3 other stores to visit Smiley smile
  • Jane
    Beginner July 2023 Ontario
    Jane ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations! Smiley ring
    OMG, start as soon as possible! There are so much to think about. The sooner you start, the easier the process will be closer to the due date. As for the dresses, there are so many choices nowadays. I'm choosing a dress for about 6 months already. I really like Princessly wedding dresses collection . But still haven't decided about the style...

Edited by WeddingWire
  • K
    Curious September 2021 Alberta
    Kaitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Start looking babe!!

I was engaged in December, started looking in Febuary, and they could only do off the rack because the wedding was 'ONLY' eight months away in september!!!

I thought that was crazy. But it was COVID.

In retrospect I wish I got a tailor and designed my own. the store ladies and store seamstress assured me the dress was fine for my longer body, then of course the seamstress changed her mind while actually doing the alterations.

Good Luck!

• Petrina
    Curious September 2024 Ontario
    Petrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our date is in Sept 2024 and I'm going dress shopping next week lol. I'm picky and I'm going to a few stores to get an idea of what I want. I probably won't end up buying for another month or two.
  • A
    Beginner May 2023 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My dress and veil took 7 months to arrive… so I wouldn’t say it’s too soon.
  • Amanda
    Curious November 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I got engaged in August and had my dress in September lol dress shopping is the first big fun event you get to do for your wedding, go have fun!!

• Jessica
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations!!!

I personally think that it's never too early to start looking at dresses, and even trying some on to see how they feel, you never know if you'll actually like a style until you try it on! It's honestly when ever YOU feel like you should be looking at dresses! I got engaged in April 2021, bought my dress August 2021, and I'm getting married in May 2023.

• L
    Frequent user August 2023 Ontario
    Lily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats! I got my dress in June! A whole 14 months before my wedding. However, I started looking at what i wanted as soon as I got engaged! It's never to early to start looking!

• Jenn
    Devoted August 2025 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I got engaged Feb. 2018, and had my dress in my possession by March of 2019 lol...and I have yet to walk down the aisle. I still love my dress whenever I put it on, and know it's still "my" dress. I even model in bridal shows on the side, so have tried on LOTS of different gowns since I bought it, and have no regret, tho now I am thinking I can justify a reception dress since I bought my gown so long ago. Smiley winking

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Never too early, I bought my dress August 20th and it won't be in until March, then bring it for Alterations in May, wedding is in September, if that gives you an idea.

Depending on the store, the dress, I would start shopping.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've seen a lot of people here talk about dress regret because they bought their dress so early and then during the long planning process, they see new designs come their way. If you're that type, I suggest waiting it out.

• Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree I think it's a good idea to get an idea of what you like however...I started about 15 months before and literally changed my dress 3 times lol BUT I am just that kind of gal, a little undecisive at times. I totally think you can find something you love and end up sticking with it but my advice is if you do then stop looking because it can be torture and can drive you nuts!

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's never too early!! I bought my dress two years before my original wedding date!
  • Julie
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats! Its never too early to start dress shopping. It's exciting and fun. Plus you never know how many shops you may visit with a specific look, only to go in a completely different direction. I started a week after i got engaged. Lol. Have fun!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics