Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Dana
Frequent user April 2018 Ontario

Wedding dress shopping

Dana, on April 4, 2017 at 22:49 Posted in Before the wedding 0 8
Hey fellow brides Smiley smileI have two questions about wedding dress shopping. Firstly I'm trying to decide on a few places to start shopping for a dress but there are so many I'm not sure where to begin! Does anyone have a place they can recommend in or around either Hamilton or Toronto (if in Toronto preferably somewhere that is easily accessible by transit). My budget is on the lower end but I'm not really looking to go as low as possible. I'm willing to spend some to get something I love. I'm also having a hard time figuring out what I want style-wise so I think I'll need a lot of guidance from a consultant.
Secondly I really want to have my sister (maid of honour), my best friend (and only bridesmaid) and my mom come shopping with me but currently we are all living in different cities (myself in Hamilton, my friend in Kitchener, my sister in Toronto and my mom in my hometown which is an 8 hour drive away) plus I work as a server so I'm always working evenings and weekends when everyone else is off so as you can imagine trying to coordinate getting all of us together to go shopping is a nightmare! I'm also thinking that even if we can get a shopping trip together, one won't be enough for me to choose something.
I was super excited about looking for a wedding dress but now I'm just feeling stressed about it and not excited at all Smiley sad If anyone has any recommendations or words of advice it would be much appreciated!

8 Comments

Latest activity by Denise, on April 6, 2017 at 09:40
  • Denise
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Denise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm just starting on the wedding dress shopping. I'm going to Kleinfeld's sample sale tomorrow! That'll be my first shopping experience. Then, as Lisa mentioned, I booked an appointment for Blu Ivory on St. Clair. Corso Italia has a lot of nice wedding dress shops.

I don't really have experienced words to impart, unfortunately, but the sample sale is where I'm starting.

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know the feeling! My family stretches from Niagara to Orangeville! So I struggled with the same problem! I purchased my gown at BLU Ivory! They are amazing, both in selection and customer service.! Ask for an appointment with Madison or Sarah! They really took their time to help me exercise all my options! I also had a great experience at Diva Bridal with Jasmine. Jasmine also didnt a great job at knowing what suited my body shape and gave me lots of different sillohuettes to try on. Both are on St. Clair in Toronto. My cousin purchased her dress at Felisha Bridal, but their gowns are on the higher side price wise. I didn't see a gown there less than $2000. My friend had a good experience at Jealous Bridesmaids and said it was an great store too. I can't say as I've never been there.
    I had a great experience at Best For Bride in Hamilton, had an appointment with Felisha. She was great! They have a great selection to at a variety of price points. I know there is a Best for Bride in Toronto but I've never been there! Also close to Hamilton is Burlington and they have a nice boutique called Promises and Lace. Great store locations but dresses are $2000 and up. Hope this helps!
  • Ashley
    Beginner August 2017 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went to a whole bunch of places. It took me calling a whole lots of them to find a place that carried the exact dress I wanted to try on and it was exactly as I pictured it would be. And the boutique was amazing and in Toronto but just south of the 401 and they had a million dress. It was called Avenue 22.
    Have you looked online at any dresses to see what you are drawn to? I had a list of ones I liked and one specific I loved. If you can even narrow it down to a designer which is what I did you can find boutiques that carry that designer and go from there as well.
    As far as the schedule thing works. Try maybe doing more than one day. Pick a time with maybe only your mom then only the friends if you cannot coordinate them all together. I did that. Then everyone gets to see you try on dresses and you get the experience and even if you find the one you love, you can go back and try it on with the people that couldn't make it. Don't let it make you feel defeated. There are ways around it. In the end I went with everyone I wanted to go with on multiple trips but I was only with my mom when I found the dress I was searching for and got! I hope that helped and have so much fun!
  • Leah
    Frequent user April 2017 Quebec
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When is your next planned visit with your mom to your place? My mom came up to help out with my move last July and while she was here we went to the only bridal shop within 400 kms. They were not too happy that I did not make an appointment. We had only been officially engaged for a month. I explained that I had no idea when I would have my mom there again so we'd really appreciate looking. They let us go up on our own to the bridal area and it was just her and I looking at dresses. I tried 3 on. 1 my mom chose, 1 that was crazy and 1 I thought could work. I fell in love with the one I thought could work and that was it we walked out of there with my dress.

My dress is a fairly simple dress without the princess factor (it's on the My wedding dress section on here) and fit criteria that I wanted: to be able to see my shoes since I am going to wear Vibram Fivefinger shoes, not poofy or overhelmingly weddingish, and it had to be as close to $200 as possible because I had zero interest in paying more that that.

There was a wide variety of pricing at the little boutique I was at from $100 up to $2000. I didn't even look at the pricey dresses, they were discarded right away so I don't know what I could be missing!

So my advice is to choose a time that works for your mom and if the others can make it then great, if not I am sure your mom will be thrilled to be there with you (as was my mom) and you could always did a preview of the dress ahead of time with your bridesmaids

• Kenny & Fikayo
    Frequent user April 2017 Alberta
    Kenny & Fikayo ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A quick google search of bridal stores in your area helps. I usually called ahead, to make sure they had a good selection of dresses in my size and silhoutte before booking an appointment. It'll be nice to have your mom, moh, and bestie's with you. Here's what I suggest. Do the prelimenary dress shopping alone, go to a few stores and note the ones you like the most. Plan a weekend trip with those you'll like to be there. Since you would probably have setlled on 3 - 4 dresses, you can make the most of the weekend/day trip where they help you pick the best of the 4.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Maybe you could figure out something with your sister as she is closest? Maybe you guys could meet in the GTA somewhere and shop together. I hope it all works out for you. Don't stress too much! As Katherine said, it should be fun! Also, you may find something at the first store at which you shop, I did! Smiley smile Best of luck!

• Zoë
    Master June 2020 Ontario
    Zoë ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Dana! Smiley heart

Hope you can manage them to come, but try not to stress about it.

You should also meet the other ladies from Ontario in here:

Jessica - Dress shopping in New Market or Toronto

Kimmieh - Wedding dress alterations

Maybe you could share tips together!

Here you can find the venues in your area:

Wedding dresses Toronto

We also have a wedding catalogue, maybe you can find some inspiration here. Smiley ring

Wedding Dresses

I hope this helps. If there is anything else you need, let me know. How is the planning going? Smiley love

• Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I started at David's bridal... They carry alot of different styles and sizes so I was able to get a good idea of what suited me... My mom is back East and my best friend is 9 hours away... In the end it was just me and my sister and it was great... She came with me on two separate shopping trips, I also went a few times by myself... Don't let it stress you out, it should be fun.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics