Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Michelle
Curious September 2018 Ontario

Wedding Decor Help

Michelle, on December 20, 2017 at 01:47 Posted in Wedding reception 0 20
So in an attempt to save some money, we have rented a hall for 2 days (1 day to set up and 1 day for our actually wedding ceremony/reception).

This has saved us literally thousands. But now we have this fairly large hall with massive cathedral ceilings that we need to decorate...

So my question is how do you know how much stuff you need to fill the space? We aren't hiring a planner or decorators as this is a huge cost, but we are definitely utilizing our spare day to set up and make it beautiful.

Has anyone done their entire wedding decor themselves and what helped you the most?

I'm thinking we want to curtain one of the main walls and string lights across the top to make it feel more intimate but I truly don't know how much work/ quantity of decor we'd need to make the space truly work.

20 Comments

Latest activity by Michelle, on January 12, 2018 at 22:26
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It's a very small town, with about 3000 people in it 😶 I've joined a few groups on Facebook but I think because the hall is not in a more bustling area, not too many people have used it for weddings. I'm definitely decided to go and tall to a professional decorator though. Even just for some insight
  • Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Michelle,

I have absolutely no idea where Pefferlaw is but have you checked Facebook to see if there's a local brides/wedding group. Here in Ottawa (obviously a slightly bigger city Smiley winking ) we have one and brides not only sell things like decorations, dresses etc. but they also ask venue questions - ie. "Has anyone gotten married at xx hall before? Would love to touch base and ask a few decorating questions".

Not sure this works if it's a small town but there may be one for the general area or city closeby

• Ashley
    Expert March 2018 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am the same way, one of my BM's is a wedding coordinator at another venue so I am forever asking her questions as well!

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Would love to see photos, anything to get the inspiration flowing is helpful! Especially seeing it from the perspective of someone who is also doing it themselves 😊
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah for sure!! I love decorating so that helps!!! I've been to that hall a lot so I know it pretty good! I would definitely recommend getting the floor plan first and seeing what other people have done there. We are building our backdrop to save some money, as well as a welcome board that has pictures of us, bio's on our bridal party and the itnerary. Also, I purchased all of my linens to save a bit of money and they are very showy! I am doing a lot of factoring in though of spaces for the guest book, DJ, our cake, we have a giant LOVE sign that we are still contemplating where to put. Also, the buffet will be taking up a lot of space! I can post some photos of my decor if you would like?
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh my gosh!! How did you go about planning your space, and how did you figure out what you'll need and how much of it?

I'm having a hard time segregating spaces off for things as I don't really know what "things" I should even have haha. And I also don't have a floor plan of the space so I'm not really sure how much space I'm going to be taking up for tables and dancing etc.

Any tips or tricks? Would LOVE to hear them!
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am decorating my whole venue! I have bought a lot of decor though! It really depends on what you want, you can easily utilize your space. I am almost out of space actually from all my decor planned 😜
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah it's definitely better to hire for big things. Takes stress off if you and that way you can be 100% confident that it will turn out how you want it.
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think I might just do that. I have a vision for the day with a lot of stuff I could do with my bridesmaids, but the more people mention it, the more it makes sense to hire someone for the big stuff.
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You should definitely look around for some decorators. They can help with some of the big things then to save more money you can do a much of DIY stuff. Get your bridesmaids to help out and have a night of it!
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's a good idea! I'll have to check around and maybe get some quotes to see if it's worth the headache and price to do it ourselves or cheaper to have someone come and do it for us.
  • Ashleigh
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Check to see if they have hooks on the ceiling. Often decorators will leave them up (with permission from the venue) if they decorate there often. You could use them for draping fabric or lights. You'll have to look up a tutorial for that. I wouldn't know where to begin with draping fabric on a ceiling. You can get some great deals at the Fabricland clearance section (usually at the back of the store), also keep an eye on their upcoming sales. It might be worth paying for the savings cards as well. Once you add up the cost for one time use materials, sometimes you're better off paying a decorator rather than stress over it or have a DIY disaster. Just do your research and practice if you can. Our hall is allowing us to use small drywall nails on the ceiling for our string lights. I won't dare attempt draping but I'm content with the warmth the string light provide. They aren't cheap either. We will probably spend $300 on them, a decorator quoted us $900. So it's worth it to pay the $300 to DIY. Lots of research. Good luck!
  • Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Try googling photography at the venue! You might find something from other weddings. Or google similar venues in the area.

• Victoria
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I do this all the time... they must think im so annoying ahahaha. Im like thanks for your answers now heres 126 mroe questions.

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I would love to but because it's a hall, it's operated by a woman who lives in the area, and she's mainly there to do the paperwork and signing. She said there's been plenty of weddings there before, but she's definitely no wedding coordinator, just a retired lady. So unfortunately she has no clue as to what people did for decor because they've always brought their own and did it themselves, which is why I'm struggling i think.

I'm thinking I may have to revisit the hall with my girls and try to think of some ideas haha!
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I totally would! But because it's a hall and not a wedding venue, there unfortunately is no coordinator, which is probably why I'm struggling to come up with ideas haha.
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I wish it had a coordinator, but because it's a hall and not really a traditional wedding venue, there isn't really anything we can go off of.

We're definitely keeping our eye on Pinterest too, so much Inspiration!
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would definitely ask the venue about past weddings and see if they have a rough estimate of materials used for you. Also check pictures online of past weddings at your venue so you can get an idea of what is too much or not enough depending on your taste.

• Ashley
    Expert March 2018 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes!!! Use your wedding coordinator at your venue to help bounce ideas off of! I have a list of questions everytime we go to see ours!

• Victoria
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Does the venue have a coordinator you can ask? They might know what past couples have don. You can also google the venue to see pics of other weddings there. Check photographer sites too! And obviously Pinterest lol.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics