Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

HauntedHeartBrides
Curious October 2023 Manitoba

Wedding Cake Topper: Taboo?

HauntedHeartBrides, on September 29, 2020 at 14:27 Posted in Wedding reception 0 10

Hi! My fiancé and I are planning a witch's ball wedding and we have been going over different decoration ideas. We want it classy and elegant and not looking like a Halloween party, but we still like to have some fun colors and humor in it.

When it came to the cake topper, however, we had something different in mind. We found this Hocus Pocus figurine we wanted on the cake because we joked that I was Winifred and she was Mary given our appearances and personalities, with our dog being Sarah due to her ditzy puppy personality.

tenor.gif

When I showed my mother, however, she said I couldn't do that and it was too weird given there were three of them instead of two, and they were sisters rather than lovers. They began telling me that it would make the guest think we supported incest!

What should we do? My fiancé and I love Hocus Pocus and we love that the colors of the figure match our decor and style, plus we always swore we'd rather be sisters/friends first and spouses second, but we don't want to weird the guests out into thinking we support incest. Should we skip this figure, or is my mom just overreacting and finding problems were there are none?

Wedding Cake Topper: Taboo? 1

10 Comments

Latest activity by HauntedHeartBrides, on October 1, 2020 at 01:35
  • HauntedHeartBrides
    HauntedHeartBrides ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, my fiancé and I talked it over and figured my mom was just trying to cause drama. She's not exactly on board with the wedding seeing as she's a Republican Christian from the states who thinks we're going to hell in a hand basket for being gay- let alone planning a halloween themed wedding. We went ahead and bought it are so so excited to get planning!

• HauntedHeartBrides
    HauntedHeartBrides ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You've got a point.

• Kim
    Devoted June 2022 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love this!! Amazing movie and I love the meaning behind it, especially with the timing of your wedding.

I think you should go for it, even if it's just for the two of you. Having little items of meaning to you both of the special day is important to remember how you got there.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If it makes you happy then go for it!

I would never see that on a cake and think about incest. I feel like that is a bit of a reach by your mom!
  • Anna
    Newbie May 2022 Manitoba
    Anna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it's adorable and you should go for it. It's on theme, it has meaning to you, and it makes the two of you happy. People have much weirder cake toppers and cake themes than that!
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I dont think i would even look at it and think incest or anything like that. I thought it was cute. If some people can have a batman cake why can't you have that topper?
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think people will jump to the conclusions that you're "supporting incest" but they might go "aren't the characters sisters?" and question it. If you care that people might be weirded out, then pick something different but if you absolutely love it and don't mind having to answer questions or getting comments about the cake topper, then go for it.

• Vanessa
    Devoted December 2021 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Super cool and fun! I fully support this idea as I love Halloween! As long as it makes you happy, then I would just go ahead with it.

I wonder if you would be able to get something custom made for your wedding. Like use this cake topper as a template but maybe add your faces and your dogs face instead? A co-worker of mine got her whole family bobble heads one year with their faces on them and everyone thought it was very cool. Perhaps there is something out there like this that can custom make it for you.

Good luck!

• Tay
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Tay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just looked at it thinking it was a nice cake topper. If that's the theme you're going for and you love go for it! Not sure where the incest idea is coming from. I've seen some quite unique cake toppers all over the internet
  • Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

At the end of the day its is completely up to you and you Fiancé - If you are planning a witch's ball wedding than that goes with the theme and I wouldn't see any problems with it...
    Sometimes people look really beyond something that is not really the true intent. I would do what makes YOU happy regardless of what others think. You can thank her for her suggestion but let her know that's what makes you happy and it doesn't represent what she is stating.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics