Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

KELLY
Super October 2023 Ontario

Wedding cake question

KELLY, on March 22, 2021 at 20:34 Posted in Wedding reception 0 8
Hello everyone!

I have been searching for ideas for our wedding in October 2023 and I have noticed that some are licensed by local health boards. Was this a factor in your decision making? Also, do you feel proximity to the location of the reception is another important factor to consider?
Thanks future brides❤️

8 Comments

Latest activity by KELLY, on March 23, 2021 at 22:37
  • KELLY
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Claudia,

Hopefully we will find someone we mesh with.

Have a great night,

Kelly and Dave

• C
    Beginner August 2021 Ontario
    Claudia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm having my usual " cake lady" make my cake. Shes not charging me an arm and a leg and she will deliver it to the venue. Therefore I'd say trust and delivery option was what made me go with her!
  • KELLY
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Geneviève,

Thank you, I think you made some valid points especially about delivery!

Kelly and Dave

• KELLY
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Hank,

You make a lot of valid points; I will rather go with a licensed baker who has put in the work to meet higher standards and who would want to drive around the morning of their wedding to pick up a cake...

Kelly and Dave

• KELLY
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Alex, I haven't come across that yet but we have just starting looking for our 2023 wedding

Kelly and Dave

• Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were specifically required by our venue that it had to be a bakery with all the health inspection information and certificates
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As someone who has worked in a bakery before, go with a licensed bakery because they’re subjected to health inspections. Bakeries are lower risk if they don’t handle raw meat products, but you’ll have peace of mind knowing you’re buying from an establishment that has passed a (rather rigorous) health inspection.
    As for delivery, as long as you’re in the same city, you should be ok. Delivery can get expensive if the baker is travelling a while to get to your venue. I’d price it out but I’d also go with delivery because the baker should guarantee the cake makes it to the location unscathed. Many will not accept liability if someone else picks it up and drives it there.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Technically, anyone selling food should be licensed via a food handler certificate and a safety inspection by public health but there are tons of unlicensed home bakers operating out of their own house's kitchen. Unless the price of an unlicensed home baker is drastically lower than a commercial one (something I personally have never seen), why not go with a licensed baker who is regularly inspected? Yes, some cakes are considered low risk (it depends on the toppings and icing) but if you're feeding a ton of people, why take the risk?

As for distance, I don't necessarily need a baker in the neighbourhood but unless they're delivering in a cold truck, I certainly wouldn't want a cake travelling too long in the sun on a summer day (or for me to have to take a huge detour if I'm the one picking it up).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics