Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sara
Frequent user August 2021 Ontario

Wedding Cake!

Sara, on September 17, 2020 at 10:23 Posted in Wedding reception 0 27

Hello Ladies!

I met with a bakery in Ontario yesterday to discuss wedding cake and the price I was quoted absolutely SHOCKED me. The cake we envisioned is very simple, two tiers, 8" with 6" on top. Ombre buttercream icing with piped buttercream lilacs, we have our own topper.

We wanted a smaller cake since we have a dessert table and decided to only have the cake for the traditional cake cutting moment and saving the top tier. The baker told us this cake would only feed 40 people.

She quoted us $458.00 for this cake BEFORE TAXES. Is this ridiculous, or did I just have unrealistic expectations going into this meeting? I have never ordered a cake before, so I'm not really sure the cost for something custom made.

Should I get another quote elsewhere, or is this pretty average?

27 Comments

Latest activity by Jennifer, on October 8, 2020 at 00:21
  • Jennifer
    Curious July 2022 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That’s about what we are paying for a 3 tier with White buttercream icing and just some simple greenery for decoration. We’re in Alberta.
  • Jasmine
    Frequent user July 2022 Ontario
    Jasmine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That looks very expensive. i could get nice cake at grocery store like loblaws for 50 dollars and feed 20 people.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Simple pretty much works. People used to make elaborate cakes since they were self serve and therefore people see the design when getting their piece. But now that that's not allowed, there's no point in getting special designs and fondants for all the extra layers that go to guests.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I thought about that too. Our venue has cake cutting as part of their services. May still just go that route myself. My mom has been decorating cakes for the last few years and has gotten quite good at it. I kept the design simple so it is a reasonable cake to make.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah, we're having a small cutting cake for photos and presentation but a sheet cake for people to eat.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    😂😂😂😂 hilarious. We are going with a 6" cutting cake and cupcakes because of this. We can make our own for a fraction of the price.
  • Sarah
    Frequent user July 2023 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If all the icing work is hand done and not fondant thats about right. Wedding cakes are not easy to make, assemble and transport not to mention create so that they are fresh and presentable all day. Looking at what you want it sounds simple but as someone who has done birthday cakes (not tiered, I'm not a wedding cake baker) youre looking at a minimum of 8 hours of work all said and done. So yes it is reasonable and unfortunately one of the reasons I'm going with cupcakes for mine, we cant afford the time and talent.
  • Laura
    Devoted June 2022 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I also got a shock - for less cake than even you were quoted for! I asked for a single tier, 6 layer 8" cake with marbled fondant and it was $400. Smiley surprise

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I just checked my quote for two tiers - $270 pre tax. So I think your bakery is really really overpriced.

I'm using Melinart Cakes in Maple.

• Maureen
    Curious August 2020 Ontario
    Maureen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wedding Cake! 1Wedding Cake! 2La Rose Bakery
  • A
    Beginner November 2020 Ontario
    Arsh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I live down the street from the Milton one, best treats ever!

• Maureen
    Curious August 2020 Ontario
    Maureen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My cake and sweets table didn't cost me $500. Check of La Rose Italian Bakery, Milton. They also have a location in Etobicoke. They can make anything you want and is not over priced.

• Arexy
    Devoted October 2020 Ontario
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m not shocked. Wedding cakes are quite expensive. I would continue to search for a cake vendor and do a little price matching. Nothing wrong with scoping out your options. My FH and I skipped the cake entirely as the venue wanted a $4 per person cake cutting fee on top of what it costs us for the cake. It’s crazy!
  • Amanda
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Seems high to me. I would look and see if you could get the same thing as a "birthday cake."

I ordered a 6" round and 7 or 8 inch round. It was half the price than if I specifically asked for a wedding cake. They said a 6" wedding cake is taller than their birthday cake but we honestly didnt notice any difference and it saved us a lot of money.
  • Courtney
    Beginner October 2021 Alberta
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would maybe look at other places, and if you want it simple and on the smaller side maybe don't even mention it's for a wedding - just a special occasion (anniversary, birthday etc). When I looked at actual wedding cakes the price was 2-3 times as much.

I ordered a cake for a birthday this past summer and it was exactly what I would want for a wedding cake and was around $120 and fed about 20 people, it included fresh roses and gold flake detailing and was an earl grey flavour.

My amazing caterer is actually making my cake as I want it simple and just for the cake cutting and me and my FH, (I'm also doing a sweets table so it wouldn't need to be big), - she is charging $65 with fresh flowers and an ombre buttercream.

Definitely look elsewhere for other quotes Smiley smile

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The quote given seems on higher end since I only paid $400 for 3 tier cake being 10", 8", and 6" feeding 36 family with alternative dessert feeding 36 guests besides friends. 2 tiers should cost less than what is said and being on the simple side.

Source quotes from other sources and compare to see which bakery is giving you the best deal and if delivery is included or additional charge.

• Paige
    Beginner October 2021 Ontario
    Paige ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would get a few other quotes in your area before deciding anything. But yeah I was completely shocked how much cakes cost too lol
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Just gonna leave this here Smiley xd

• Kim
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey there! Seems high to me! We're getting the same size as you and including delivery and taxes, it was ~$150 less than your quote. Of course, we had to find out own cake stand....
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally think that's an alright quote in my opinion. But it also depends on what province and where you're getting your cake done at. For instance, my fiance and I are getting married in Kelowna BC and we've picked the number one rated baker in the city. For us we're paying around $600 for a 3 tier round cake. An 8", 6" and a 4". But at the end of the day it's what you're really wanting to spend on a cake.

• Desiree
    Desiree ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Look else where that seems very high maybe try to find a baker kinda starting out but who also have some good feedback from customers
  • A
    Beginner November 2020 Ontario
    Arsh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would try to find someone small and local on Facebook or Instagram. Bakers who bake from home are more reasonable since they will be charging you for baking supplies rather than a surcharge to help pay their stores operational costs (rent etc). Always nice to help small businesses too!

• Mais
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Mais ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah I just noticed that! Honestly I would keep looking. That seems a bit high
  • Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Misha!

We are in Northwestern ON, in Thunder Bay. I see you're in Southern ON, which would probably be a little too far!! Thanks so much for the offer anyway!!

• Mais
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Mais ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Where about a in Ontario are you? My cake fed my entire wedding of 50 guests and it was around $200. She is very reasonable. She is a friend of a friend. I can send you a pic of my cake. It tasted absolutely amazing
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Holy that seems high! I know that effects like ombre can be time consuming, but that still seems excessive. We are paying about $350 with taxes for a 6 inch round and 72 cupcakes in 4 flavors. I want to think that the cake alone was about $50-60 of that.

I would definitely look for other quotes!
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Get a quote elsewhere. That’s pretty steep for 2 tiers, and I’ve definitely been quoted less for something similar to what you’re looking for.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics