Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Frequent user July 2021 Ontario

Wedding Cake

Stephanie, on April 30, 2019 at 08:40 Posted in Wedding reception 0 15

We are planning on having a small wedding cake for pictures and cake cutting but not guest consumption (there is dessert served with dinner, there will be a candy table and there will be sweets out with the late night platters and this is way cheaper than a wedding cake for 100 people and paying for cake cutting from the venue).

Are others doing this too?

I have fears that some people will still try to help themselves after, so I plan on having the venue take it back to the kitchen after the cutting.

15 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on May 6, 2019 at 18:25
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This was told when I was considering the same option of the aspect of serving and saving cost.

Have the wedding cake with the top tier as your real and the last 2 tiers fake with icing to look elegant.

A slab enough to feed everyone can be cut by the venue as your doing or letting guests help themselves. This way you can leave the cake behind if you choose not to take it home. Every baker has a different cost per person of slices and inquire about that part when getting quotes.

A thought to keep in mind that I also considered was not everyone likes cake and cut back by 20% of the serving since a variety is on the sweet table.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't experienced it, but I don't see a problem with it since you're serving dessert already. I would get one that's small enough to make it obvious that it's purpose is for the sake of having a cake to cut.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's what me and my FH are doing!

We will have dainties on a separate table and s'mores for the bonfires so cake is not needed for the guests!

Our cake will be super small and based on our 250 person wedding I'm sure none of the guests will think it's for them. Of course after we cut the cake we will probably wrap it up and put it in the fridge in our cabin so unless people invade our cabin ours should be good for breakfast the next morning!! Smiley tongue

• Stephanie
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There will be lots of sweets and there is dessert served with dinner. I also don't want a lot of cake left over to bring home Smiley smile

• Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Stephanie,

If cake for everyone isn't in the budget, it's totally acceptable to just have a small cake for cutting. The only reason we went with a cake because we were able to have our venue waive the $4/pp cake cutting fee and our baker said we really only need to provide cake for up to 70% of the guests as on average some people won't want cake. This is especially true if there are other desserts provided. We ended up having a the small top tier left over to bring home to indulge on for after the wedding day.

I think as long as you let the venue know to bring it back to the kitchen to pack up so you can take it home after the event is fine.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're having a small cutting cake and cupcakes for the guests. I think since you have lots of other sweets available, so you can probably get away with hiding it after the cutting.

• K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had a cupcake tower with a small cake for cutting/photos on the top tier. After we cut it the facility took the cake back to the kitchen and we told our guests to enjoy the cupcakes (this was in addition to the regular desserts the venue provided for our buffet).

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing this! Dessert is included with our price per plate so we are just doing a small cake for pictures and immediate family to eat.

We will most likely do the pictures right away and then keep it off to the side so no one touches it. But i really don't think people will go for it unless it is put out on a table with multiple servings available

• Stephanie
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This exactly!!!!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Smart idea for the cake cutting and photo purposes. We on the other hand had plated service and had cake and assorted pastries served a piece with the dessert chosen part of the menu. The final design and tiers were perfect to serve everyone and not having waste behind.

If you don't mind a suggestion, get the top tier for yourself and a tier for the dessert table for those wanting cake and a fake tier with icing.

Wedding Cake 1

Just an idea of what your referring to the size of the cake. One thing in your case I would do is cut the sizes from 10", 8" and 6" to 8", 6" and 4" to save the cost.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m doing this!

We have dessert included in the meal. Also, we opted to serve guests cupcakes instead of cake at the midnight table.

So we have a two two tier cake (4” and 6”) we’ll privately cut the cake for some photos and the 6” we’ll save for our first year anniversary.
  • Jenn
    Frequent user April 2019 Saskatchewan
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We decided on just a regular cake (strawberry shortcake) as our display and our dessert. Our venue made it for a very reasonable price - and the guests loved it! It's hard to justify a huge, beautiful wedding cake due to the price per guest. We were happy with our choice financially, taste wise, and I think it turned out really great looking! Smiley smile

Wedding Cake 2
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As long as you have something else for dessert I see no problem with this... I like your idea of removing it after it's been cut though, then at least your guests won't be confused.

• Stephanie
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We haven't decided on the dessert with dinner yet, cupcakes are a great idea - I was leaning towards individual mini cheesecakes but now might like the cupcake idea more Smiley smile

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have been to weddings where they do this and people don't attempt to go for it! I am doing a small cake for cutting and photo's and then we just have cupcakes as the catering company I have won't cut any cake even if I pay they have refused. This is why we went with cupcakes, I had considered the donut wall or sweets table but this won

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics