Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Newbie July 2023 Ontario

Videographer is it really worth it?

Jaime, on January 25, 2022 at 16:54 Posted in Before the wedding 1 7

Hi everyone,

My partner and I have our wedding in July 2023. Because of covid we've decided to start looking for our vendors now. We booked our venue last Nov so we are luckily set there.

We are both on the fence about getting a wedding video. Where we live it seems to not be a cheap investment. We're getting married 2.5 hours outside of Toronto in "cottage country" and so, from the research I've done so far the options for local videographers are small. The starting packages are a little north of 3,000$. For me, I feel like having photos that I love is really important and I've contacted some photographers that seem to have really nice photos and will have a meeting with them in the near future.

Videography for me is kind of up in the air. I hate to hear my own voice (I won't even send voice messages to friends) as I get horribly embarrassed and, I m unsure really how much we would rewatch it besides originally watching it with family. But, I think it's a nice memory especially when we get older or if we want to remember the speeches or something. It seems very sentimental. A lot of our family is saying do it, even at least just the short film.

So, my dilemma is the cost. That would be a huge chunk of money towards photos and videos. I have 2 questions:
1) if anyone has recommendations for affordable videographers that work / will travel to the Muskokas (outside Toronto)
2) would you recommend doing it? I'm afraid we'll regret it.

Thanks a lot for the insight and opinions!

7 Comments

Latest activity by Hank, on January 26, 2022 at 14:38
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Presumably when you contact someone on Kijiji, they will refer you to either an online demo or send you examples of their work via other correspondence. At the end of the day, if the person you're reaching out to doesn't give you confidence, you can simply not hire them and keep looking.

I found my videographer on Kijiji and he was awesome! I did have to filter through a bunch of not so great ones but sometimes you just have to look beyond the typical wedding industry listings. It's one reason why some vendors charge so much - they're paying an arm and a leg to advertise.

• J
    Newbie July 2023 Ontario
    Jaime ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

All seem like good ideas, thanks alot!
    I was just worried about kijiji as you never know the reliability, but I guess we could always ask for references.

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    As of right now we aren't planning on live streaming it, but I will keep that in mind if plans change!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you're live streaming the ceremony, you can always keep the recording of it.

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love the idea of a videographer but I don't like how you usually just get a 2-3 min highlight reel. Its also soooo not in our budget to afford one. I have thought about having someone record the ceremony and the speeches so I can look back on them for my personal memories. I won't care too much if the quality isn't that great.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I aren't having one. One we don't want one and second we don't want to spend money on something like that when we already have a photographer. If you don't want a videographer you don't have to have one. Just remember it's your wedding, spend the money on what you really want to have!

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Have you tried asking about smaller packages? Maybe instead of a full 8 hour day + editing, you only contract their service for a first look and ceremony video.

Since you seem to prioritize photos anyway, perhaps your video doesn't need to be as cinematically polished. You can always look up vendors on places like Kijiji where those with a less robust portfolio are charging less to build experience.

If you only care for revisiting speeches and not so much for the quality of the video image, you can simply mount a camera or phone on a tripod and have your MOH or Best Man hit record right before you go on. Same goes with the ceremony.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics