Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Betty
Newbie September 2022 Ontario

Venues for Small Weddings

Betty, on August 23, 2020 at 19:40 Posted in Ontario 0 11

Hello ladies! We're just starting to look into venues and the toughest part for us is how to deal with a smaller party of no more than 100 - 120 guests. Many of my top choices have spaces for 200+ guests, but wondering if anyone's had experience with a smaller reception? Smiley smile

I'm guessing the cost for the venue doesn't change if you have a smaller party! What I'm afraid of is a big space that seems empty without it being filled up!

11 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on August 26, 2020 at 21:57
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Venues can vary in ballroom sizes which can be divided according to your guest list or rooms that will accommodate at the right cost. Its good to inquire with the coordinator when you visit the location. Don't be afraid to ask questions while getting information. Food and alcohol are also good way to know if they offer or you need to consider catering from outside.

• L
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Linda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm having a 50 guest wedding at the Guild Inn. They have 3 ballrooms aswell. One of the ballrooms is smaller it would probably fit your guests perfect.
  • Betty
    Betty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s true, maybe I shouldn’t worry too much about the extra space. I definitely want a photo booth and didn’t even think about space for it... I’m glad I asked, thanks so much for your help!
  • Betty
    Betty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I didn’t think about these other venues. Thanks so much, that’s helpful although I am a big fan of traditional looking wedding places. Thanks for the tip ☺️
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Of course! Anytime! Hope you find a great venue!

• Betty
    Betty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s really good news!! Thanks so much Amanda Smiley smile. All the best with the wedding next year and the rest of your planning 😊
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I's venue is holding our ceremony and reception and it can hold up to 250 guests. We're only having around 70 people attending next year. I would honestly talk to the venues and see what their options are. They can work magic we big spaces and small amount of people. My venue is doing that with my wedding next summer. they'll be setting the tables and such so it looks like it's full and not too empty. As well as for the ceremony, the way the chairs are laid out. They can adapt to pretty much anything these days

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A little extra space isn't a bad thing, especially with the potential for social distancing to continue until we reach a certain percentage of vaccine rate.

If you do want a smaller space try thinking a little outside the box, theatre rehearsal spaces or dance studios could make wonderful venues and they might not be as large as the traditional hotel ballroom venue.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Based on my search in the GTA, venue rental prices itself is fairly small and relatively inconsequential. What eats you is the cost per head and service fee. At 100 guests though, you're usually well above their minimum spend so I wouldn't worry about that.

In addition to pricing, one thing you should ask for when making your initial round of contacting venues is a sample floor plan based on the numbers you want. You can then see how much space is leftover. Don't forget that things like a dance floor, photo booths, stations for food or entertainment, and even an elaborate head table can eat up space that you think you didn't need.

• Betty
    Betty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's really helpful information!! Thanks so much Geneviève Smiley smile.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Betty!
    The good thing is prices vary by location (and where they are in the GTA honestly), so you might not have to pay as much as a place that can hold 200+ people. I know my venue has rooms to hold weddings from 2-200 without putting them in a huge space. If you’re worried about too much or too little space, ask vendors when you request pricing what size of weddings they typically host, then you can figure out what size room you’ll need and the price range you’re comfortable with.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics