Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Newbie August 2020 Ontario

Venues and Covid-19🤞🏽

Staci, on April 9, 2020 at 20:29 Posted in WeddingWire 1 8
Hey everyone! I'm wondering how everyone's venues are handling things right now (being the biggest, most crucial vendor). Our wedding is supposed to be early August at the Guild Inn Estate in Toronto (not sure if we're naming names here lol🤫) and we haven't spoken to them yet about what our options may be. I'm really hoping they'll be flexible and allow us to postpone without penalty and refund our deposit if we have to cancel. I'm also concerned that if we approach them too early they may charge us a cancellation fee.

What have your experiences been so far?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Hank, on April 12, 2020 at 20:54
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just curious, did you already pay your venue fully? I ask because you mention you're not getting money back.

October still falls within high wedding season so I'm not surprised there's no difference in pricing, though I'd imagine the minimums would be lower for a Friday.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We havent contacted our venue yet.... but i think im going to email them and see what their plans and what they can do. the problem is we have every single vendor booked already and most of them paid for. im hoping i can find a date everyone is available i really absolutely love our vendors Smiley sad i would be soooo sad to lose them.

• K
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our venue was okay. I wouldn’t say amazing...lol... but they did alright.
    They unfortunately wouldn’t allow us to do a soft hold on another date- we had to either choose it, or hold out. All of our other vendors did a soft hold. They didn’t have many dates left. While there were no fees for moving/postponing, we paid for a Saturday June wedding and are getting a Friday October wedding with no money returned. It was either that or fight them with our Force Majeure clause, get money back and then..... have no venue.
    We originally chose to hold out a bit longer- but 3 days after that, City Hall announces closure until July. So the decision was made for us. Not ideal- but hopefully when we get closer to our new date I will try and negotiate a few upgrades to make up for the money we lost.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I did to hear that some couples have been charged for postponing the wedding date. Its terrible facing this challenge and not have that understanding of the venue to waive the charge as many are doing due to the crisis.
    For those venues working with the couples, its great to know that the full refund has/is been/being given back lack of the business down if cancellation decision was/is finalized.
  • S
    Staci ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's great. It's really the least they can do. I'm sure next year's dates are filling up really fast though!
  • S
    Staci ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow! That's a really generous arrangement from your venue. That's great. I really hope you get to keep your original date. I'm not particularly attached to our date but I want to get married in summer so I don't know if I'd be ok pushing it a whole year :/ we could do a civil ceremony this August and then do the full "wedding" next year but that might feel weird...
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Liberty grand has been amazing in stating they’ll allow us to move our date but I haven’t made a final decision yet. I’ll make my final decision in June 😓
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We spoke to ours this week and we’re happy with their approach.

They basically are allowing couples to hold another day “in case” their day doesn’t work due to COVID for free. If another couple holds the same secondary date the first couple gets to decide to either keep their original day or lock in their secondary choice.
    We are unfortunately unable to postpone our reception for many reasons so we are holding onto dear life. If there are still numerical restrictions on gatherings by July 18 - we get our money back!
    We’ll still get married but less the reception. It is what it is Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics