Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kadi
Curious August 2021 Alberta

Venue shopping!!

Kadi, on November 25, 2019 at 20:56 Posted in Before the wedding 0 7
The first venue I found I fell I love with. It is a retreat center that sleeps a lot of people right on a lake, and to make it even more perfect the price is amazing!!! My fiance and I are going to look at the venue on Monday. I was wondering if you can think of any non obvious questions to ask the venue?

Thank you!!

7 Comments

Latest activity by Geneviève, on November 28, 2019 at 07:00
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’d ask about cleanup protocol. When does it have to be done by and what’s the charges involved (sometimes there are depending on certain things)
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ask about any service charges or charges for alcohol.

• Cash
    Curious May 2022 British Columbia
    Cash ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Another big question is if you'll need to buy separate liquor licenses and private event insurance- some places require you to provide both, and those can add up quite quickly if they're not licensed and insured on their own.
    It's also worth asking if accommodations such as linens and pillows are available to your guests, or if they'll need to bring their own , and if the tap water is drinkable (or else you will need to provide drinkable water for your overnight guests, as many lake places don't provide this, or it comes at an extra cost.)

Hopefully this helps, and good luck planning your beautiful wedding!
  • Kadi
    Kadi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for all your help here and the reassurance 😁😁
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Corkage is when they let you buy the wine, but charge you a fee per bottle. Almost like a hidden service charge.

And I think if you love it and it's in your budget there's no need to shop around for another venue. Especially if you think that you'd be upset if someone else booked your date and you missed out.
  • Kadi
    Kadi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you. Some of these questions are diffenitly useful and I aporiate your input. For the venue there will be no other events being held. We are renting out the entire lot. What is corkage though? I've seen it mentioned else where and I just have no idea. I'm new to this wedding planning thing lol. I've only ever been to one wedding when I was young 😅. And from what I recall we have to have someone doing everything. But I don't know. So asking what they offer for wedding service (such as cake cutting and what not) is a good question to ask and I will add it to my list. This is the first place I am looking it and it might be the only. Would the be stupid to do? Even if I love the place and the price should I still shop around? I need a venue that offers camping and rvs since my family will be traveling from bc to Alberta.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm not sure if these are obvious or not, but I would ask about outside vendors. Like can you bring your own caterer if you want, do they charge corkage if you bring booze or must you use theirs, will they cut your cake for you.

Will you have the whole space or do they book multiple events in one night (another wedding could be awkward, but so could stranger retreat guests crashing your wedding).
    What is included in the venue rental (ask for a printed list if possible) and what isn't included. If things aren't included do they rent them or do you need to source them yourself (av equipment, or chair covers for example).
    What is the deposit, is it refundable, and when is the balance due? (I keep all these dates in a spreadsheet once I get contracts so I'll know if I have several payments to look out for at one time)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics