Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner August 2021 Ontario

Venue dilema

Devrie, on March 7, 2021 at 15:49 Posted in Before the wedding 0 3
Hello all,

Hope everyone has been doing ok. I just have a question, and I am wondering if others have encountered this, and how they felt with it.
The contract we signed with our venue states that we have to pay the full amount of we cancel within 6 months of our wedding. (We signed the fall of 2018) Of course last year they allowed us to postpone to this summer. But as travel regulations have not changed any as of yet (and our venue in in NS) we were not planning on getting married there anymore as we don't want to be paying $10,000 + for a wedding that original was for 100 people and will more then likely now just be 12 people. And we can't afford to quarantine for 2 weeks in a hotel and still get married there.
Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this? Did you end up having to pay in full? Was your venue more forgiving since this is a unpredictable situation? Should I just try to get them to postpone, then cancel before the 6 months of the new date? We have already come to terms that our $5000 that we already paid will be gone. But I don't think it's quite fair that we have to pay the full amount for a service that isn't provided, just because we can't enter the province.
Opinions, thoughts and recommendations are welcome.
Thanks!

3 Comments

Latest activity by Michelle, on March 8, 2021 at 08:31
  • Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been finding that NS venues have been super accommodating about giving back deposits. My ceremony venue offered to refund us when we were trying to coordinate a date between our two venues last May.

Definitely check with the venue staff to see what your options are.

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If that's what your contract says then you might be out of luck. However I will say that a 6 month cancellation policy with payment in full is a bit overkill. Most places I looked at you just lost your deposit and then if you were 90-30 days out you had to pay in full.

I would speak with your venue about what your options are. Let them know that you're worried about being able to get married there in August and you're worried you'll have to cancel or postpone again. It sounds like they're trying to work with you and have been cooperative in postponing so maybe they will be understanding given the circumstances. Or if they won't let you cancel outright maybe there's a creative solution that will work for everyone.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics