Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner September 2023 British Columbia

Venue booking

Samantha, on October 6, 2022 at 16:11 Posted in Before the wedding 0 11
We found a venue that we absolutely love and it’s an amazing price and includes accommodation onsite for 40-60 people. The venue requested that we pay for the booking up front in full or we could risk our date and pay half deposit in January and the other half 3 months before the wedding date. My FH is skeptic all about paying in full but they have amazing reviews and I really don’t want to loose the venue!

I’m just wondering if this is normal? Have any of you paid in full or is it more standard to do deposit and final payment?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Elizabeth12, on October 8, 2022 at 20:29
  • Elizabeth12
    Curious February 2023 Ontario
    Elizabeth12 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That seems odd to me 🤔 We had to put $1000 down and must pay the rest 2 weeks before the wedding. It's giving me, "we're not sure how business is going to fair during the flu/covid season, let's get all the money now."

• KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We booked our venue last year, they asked for a $1000 deposit plus the $500 security deposit -that's it was closer to 10% of our estimated total bill. If they want to be paid upfront a year in advance, I would consider other venues .....

• Jenn
    Devoted August 2025 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's the "Or we can pay a deposit and risk losing our date" that I have anxiety about when reading your question. As many people have stated, a deposit is collected to secure your date, and normally has stipulations on what amount, if any, the booking party gets back if they decide to cancel...

Now, do they only have accommodation for 60 ppl? If they can only accommodate 60 ppl, that makes sense that they ask you to pay upfront, to a certain extent, because what you require is their whole inventory, and they want to ensure you don't back out after they have turned down X amount of other possible glampers...

If they can accommodate more than 60 ppl, I would be questioning why a deposit doesn't suffice to hold your date, and "reserving" space for up to 60 ppl, with stipulations that you need to confirm exact numbers (with a min. guarantee), by a date that if you have to drop your guest list under the 60 mark, the glamping grounds can release the sites back into their inventory and make some more $$...

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our venue does it all, one stop shop and only asked for $1000 deposit, but because they are offering you on site accommodation it makes sense they would ask for half upfront, it's basically the same thing as renting a hotel. it's probably the down for the venue, and the down for the accommodations, as long as you get a contract and you read it carefully, I don't see why it would be sketch especially if it's a legit venue.

• Stevie
    Frequent user September 2023 Ontario
    Stevie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I booked my ceremony venue 2 years in advance and paid in full. That could be because it was a smaller bill (<$1000) for just the ceremony. As long as you have a signed contract in place that you’ve read through with a fine toothed comb and you have the money, I would be okay with it 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Always get the transaction along with terms and conditions on paper. Don't just use email back and forth.

• S
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yea pretty much! They’ve only been open for 2 years so I think that’s why my FH is having concerns. If there’s a full contract along with the payment then I’m not worried about it. There’s also multiple emails in exchange with information as well.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So basically they want you to book as if you're buying out their accommodation? Then that sounds about right. If it's just an event venue, I'd be weary but considering the main pricing seems to be for the stay , that makes sense. It'd be the equivalent of going to a hotel and asking for all the rooms to be held for you. In that instance, you would literally book and pay upfront for all those rooms.

• S
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sorry, I should have added that they are also a full glampground as they’re main business!
  • Julie
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sounds a bit sketchy. No one should be asking for full payment up front a year before the wedding date. Our venue charged us 20% deposit of final balance with a signed contract. As did some of our vendors.
  • Brittany
    Super August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have been to over 15 venues and I have never been told I have to pay in full. Even for a more expensive place that costs $13,000 after taxes. For venues, deposits are usually $2000 and that is with a signed contract. This is supposed to book your date. I would be very weary about a place that takes all of the money right from the start.

My experience ranges from barns, hotels, tents, and destination weddings.

Most of the other vendors, like catering, dj, photography, videographer, hair and make-up usually require 50% and a signed contract to secure your date.

So with that being said. To me, it is not normal at all. But I speak for the Alberta area.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics