Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Brittany
Frequent user October 2017 Ontario

Vendor gifts

Brittany, on March 6, 2017 at 20:25 Posted in Ontario 0 5
This may be a touchy subject, but I'd like some input. I am considering giving gifts instead of monetary tips to our vendors (venue/food, photographer/videographer) because I feel like it shows my appreciation more than money. Since the venue is a small bed and breakfast I was thinking maybe a bottle of wine(which we are having made for our wedding) and 2 wine glasses for the owners who are taking care of almost everything but I'm stuck on what to get the photographer and videographer. Also, our makeup artists is my MOHs younger sisters best friend so she asked we not pay her because she just wants the experience. I told my girls to expect to give her at least $20 but I'd like a gift for her also. Maybe a gift card to sephora? And our hair girl is also a friend and neighbour so I was thinking maybe offering to babysit her young son and send her and her partner on a dinner date?
Does anyone have experience with gifting instead of tipping? I'm trying to work on a budget here. I'm only giving my girls a hankie, a tea cup and a hanger I made. Our groomsman are getting a pocketwatch ($6). Our parents are getting a pocket watch and hankie for the dads and our mom's are getting a hankie so far so I'd like a suggestion for them too? I thought maybe pay for their hair and makeup. My future mother in law is doing so much it seems unfair to give her so little BUT we are paying for the wedding ourselves so I don't really think we should feel obligated to gift our parents anything because they didn't financially contribute but now I'm ranting!
Input appreciatedSmiley smile

5 Comments

Latest activity by Brittany, on March 7, 2017 at 12:12
  • Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you for your positive comment! Our hairdresser and maker artist are friends so thinking small gifts of appreciation and possibly split the cost between bridesmaids. The B&B covers a lot, and I'd rather give something thoughtful than generic. I think I'll give the photographer and videographer each $100 IF I'm satisfied with their work after I get photos back. I also dislike this expected automatic tipping too... you have to earn it in my opinion. I don't always tip restaurants if the service is bad either!
  • Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our vendors are mostly not for profits and friends so no tips... I will get a big gift for my hair dresser since he is also helping me cook, florals, and generally plan the wedding... I like the idea of a hankie for the moms (I've seen some beautiful vintage ones on line)... I really do not believe in tipping automatically... If service it truly excellent then tip... I think the personalised wine for the B&B couple is very thoughtful.
  • Vanessa
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If that's their request, then that's cool! For the other vendors, I would give the tip.

I think a Sephora card is a good idea, also baby sitting!

• Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    In most cases, but our venue requested we not give a tip. But a token of appreciation is acceptable.
  • Vanessa
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think the vendors who are not family should get the standard 15% tip. It would be kind of like going into a restaurant and not giving the waiter a tip. It's a bit odd, also, what if they don't drink or like specific wine? Part of the budget should include an appropriate tip for the vendors. You should also check to see if they have a service fee that already includes the tip.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics