Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner July 2022 Nova Scotia

Vegetarian options

James, on September 29, 2020 at 07:32 Posted in Wedding reception 0 6

Hi y’all ,

One thing I’m finding in venue shopping is that lots of places don’t seem to have vegetarian options on their menu. Most do refer to the ability to get something vegetarian, but I feel like there’s a risk of winding up with something that’s sort of a gross afterthought, and a number of our guests are veggie. Any tips?

6 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on October 14, 2020 at 13:24
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did have some family members being vegetarians and did request for risotto as an option that worked out well. Its always good to ask if they can work make any dishes possible or by request for tasting to ensure you have choices. Also if any guests with allergies, the venue should be notified to work along that way to ensure they able to make a dish for them.

Venues don't generally give much dishes to choose veg apart than mixed or part of the meal.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As far as I know I only have one vegan couple that will be coming to our wedding. Since we haven't been to our tasting yet I'll have to find out what options they have. I know that I definitely have a pasta dish, rice dish, antipasto things (roasted red peppers, olives, melon), a salad course but for the main I'm not sure but I am going to find out.
  • Tay
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Tay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My venue didn't outright have a vegan/vegetarian menu. However, when I asked, they sent me their menu options with about 5 options to choose from. They just didn't have it in their main package. When the time comes closer I plan to do a taste testing as 1/3 of our guests are vegan. If the venue doesn't offer a menu. I would talk to them about what kind of options they can make and put forward some options to discuss pricing. Even for my meat option, it's not what is on their package. I am choosing a totally different meat entree but keeping the appetizer and dessert
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Many venues may not list them outright because it's not a main selling point but do ask if they have more than one veggie entree option. Our venue has four, two without dairy for vegans, and they're actually well thought out (none of them are pasta!) Hopefully the venue of your choice will have at least some choices where you can pick one as opposed to subjecting you to their default "after-thought" as you put it. Many venues also provide the veggie plate as a default for your tasting options so do ask about that as well.

Even if the venue you want only has one choice, there's still cocktail hour and late night table that usually have a ton of vegetarian options. And I find majority of first and second courses are vegetarian anyway (soup or pasta, salad) so at the very least they will have some variety.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would also ask about it if you have a tasting scheduled. And ask what their options are so maybe you can try two and pick your favorite.

My office has this issue everytime we cater and I've gotten pretty good at finding the alternatives. Pasta is usually safe (unless you're avoiding gluten or feeding a vegan). If you're doing buffet style I would also recommend having enough for people to have seconds as that is usually the vegetarian complaint to us afterwards.
  • Laura
    Devoted June 2022 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you have a lot of veg/vegan guests, when you do your tastings, ask for them to make something vegetarian, citing that it will be needed due to the number of guests who will request it. And if you like it, request that this must be the vegetarian meal. I'm surprised so many caterers don't have the option when it is so common now.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics