Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rachel
Newbie September 2019 Ontario

Unresponsive photographer

Rachel, on October 27, 2019 at 14:05 Posted in Just married 0 10
Hi! This is going to be a bit of a story time and I would love to get some insight on what you guys think I should do! I hired a photographer who was recommended to me through another vendor I was using for my wedding. I loved her photography style and I decided to inquire for my date, she was super responsive and helpful and has amazing reviews. I ended up booking my engagement & wedding photos with her. When I put my deposit down (which was half of the payment) she said she would send me a contract, which she never did. I ended up booking her and spending extra on a package for 2 photographers for my wedding so I could have 2 separate angles and 1 could be with the guys while they were getting ready and 1 could be with me and my girls! I ended up having my engagement pictures which I had to drive about an hour to her for (wasnt a huge deal) because the location was really pretty. After the engagement shoot I had to transfer the remainder of what I was owing to her because my wedding was getting super close. I asked to have the contract ready to sign. I sent the money, and never received a contract.. again.. just a thank you email confirming my total payment. After that I hardly heard from her, she didnt hit the date she promised to give me my engagement pics, she kept putting it off, and even asked me if I could "remind her tomorrow" and when I did she just ignored it for another week. Me being understanding I was just telling myself shes busy and bit my tongue. My now husband ended up emailing her saying hes a bit frustrated and we were given a timeline and are unsure as to why we dont have the pictures and her response to him was that her computer ended up crashing and shes waiting to buy a new one and once she gets her new computer she will start working on them. She never mentioned this to me when I was asking and she was still pumping out pictures of peoples engagement photos that were done after us.. She finally sent me the engagement pictures a couple months when she gave me a timeline of a week. She sent me 10 pics and 1 of them my now husband was talking so it wasn't even a nice photo. I again ignored that picture because at this point I'm nervous if I make a stink she's going to end up not showing up to my wedding. The night before my wedding she emailed me and said she wasnt going to be able to make it but the other photographer was still coming and was going to divide his time between the guys and girls so I could still get my getting ready shots. (I paid for 2 photographers) I was so upset reading this literally the night before I walk down the aisle and didnt even respond, there was no point in letting it ruin my day so I just went with it. The photographer who showed up was awesome and I felt so bad because he was running around like crazy trying to get all the shots I wanted. Unfortunately the guys ran a bit behind while getting ready and I wasnt able to get some of the shots of me and the girls getting ready I wanted. Now after the wedding ( which is almost 2 months) I have received 2 pictures which I had to beg for when she said she would send me 40, 2 weekends after my wedding. I have tried contacting her but she continues to ignore and I have to bug and I hate that. I have nothing to really look back on and I'm nervous the more I ask the longer it's going to take. She didnt offer compensation for not showing up, should I even bother asking? I honestly have no idea what to do, and If shes busy I get that but atleast be upfront and not dodge me. There is more to this story but this sums it up so it doesnt take an hour of reading. I would love to hear from anyone who is either a photographer or again can just help me figure out what to do. Thanks!

10 Comments

Latest activity by Geneviève, on November 3, 2019 at 08:04
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with what the others are saying. While you don’t have a contract, you have a proof of payment which counts. Save all your transactions, emails, texts and threaten legal action if she doesn’t hand over the material/compensate you for the 2nd photographer. That’ll clear things up quickly.
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is a tricky situation because she's holding all the cards; she's been paid in full, and she's basically holding all your photos/memories of the day hostage. I can see why you want to tread carefully.

Honestly, I wouldn't panic just yet on only receiving 2 photos. Your wedding was the day after mine, and our photographer verbally promised a highlight gallery after a month, and we only got them 2 days ago. It annoying, yes, but you're lucky she sent you 2 photos so quickly. We didn't have anything to look back on until this week. Give it another week or two before asking her again about when you can expect photos. Its normal for photographers to do engagement sessions faster. Its only an hour of photos to look through, whereas your wedding is at least 8.

The biggest issue at hand is that you paid extra for a 2nd photographer, and you did not get one. That is unacceptable. Lay it out in an email, and just state the facts: exactly the cost that you paid for the 2nd photographer, back it up with your emails that detail the agreement, and show the proof of payment. State simply that because you didn't get what you paid for, you expect to be reimbursed that amount.

Have you talked with the photographer who actually shot your day? Maybe reach out to him and ask for suggestions on how to go about this with her. And when you write reviews after you get your photos, definitely say how awesome he was, and how crappy dealing with her was.

I know saying this doesn't help your situation, but for all the other couples out there booking their vendors: Do not give them a deposit until they send you a contract to read over, and sign in agreement with.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow i would be pissed. NEVER pay a vendor until you have a signed contract with them. either way i would be calling and messaging her constantly for my photos. that is ridiculous. i would totally ask for money back as you wanted her and shes been dodging you and giving you the run around. also make sure you leave a review so people know! i would hate for future brides to go through the samething you and your husband went through.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I hope you have records of payments and bank accounts to print about or from the bank itself and take her to court. You could get the money back full since there wasn't any contract in the first place. She could say whatever excuse she has in the book and lose her business this way since customers rely on what photographers as any vendors try to get away with.

In this case, send her another email and ask if she is willing to cooperate with you or you will see her in court, which will scare her big time and get her attention too at the same time.

I don't want to see you in a bad position or your husband getting frustrated due to the fact she took your money and neglected to do what she was to do as her duty of the contract. You may be surprised how many court cases about wedding vendors lose for this reason. She will have no records or proof to show and all her excuses will not fly well.

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sounds like you still have proof of payment and proof of what was supposed to be included for that price. I'd find a way to kindly follow up on when you will get your photos back, and would request a refund for a portion of the total once you have received your photos. Not only did you only get one photographer, you also did not get her as the primary shooter, which is also what you paid for. Good luck and keep us posted!

• Rachel
    Newbie September 2019 Ontario
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks so much everyone, I am definitely going to keep bugging, I unfortunately dont have any formal contract just a facebook message with the packages and what they include with pricing and then just the emails confirming payment, unfortunately I have no dates or timeline however i definitely so think I should ask for some sort of compensation and I agree with that! I am really nervous that she still has all my pictures and the ball is in her court to not even send them to me like Kelsie mentioned so I'm really trying to tread lightly -.- thanks so much everyone
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am so sorry that you had to go through this. That’s super frustrating! I would honestly keep bugging. Or have your husband contact her as well. It’s not fair that you guys paid all this and then she’s flaking.
    Do you have any email correspondence that you can refer to for the dates when she was supposed to have pictures by?
    I would for sure ask for compensation, some money back for only having one photographer at least.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is a really hard situation. Obviously, she isn’t holding up her end of the bargain here.

Do you have any emails back and forth outlining the services you paid for? If you do, that’s as good as a contract and she’s broken it.
    On the other hand, and this is what sucks about some wedding vendors, she still has your pictures. You want to make sure she does a good job with them and she doesn’t give you back photos you hate and then your money is gone.
    My FSIL got married last September and got her pictures just before New Years. I would personally call/email the photographer and say you understand her computer has crashed, it’s the end of wedding seasons so you know she’s probably busy but could she please set down a realistic date where you can receive your edited pictures.
    So that’s what I would do.
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For clarity, did you ever get a written contract?
    I think at this point if she is not responding I would write a very formal letter (absolutely no emotion, factual) listing out the agreement made between you and where you understand she has not met the agreement. Quite from the contract if you have one. State clearly what you are asking for (reimbursement, contact by a certain date). Send this registered mail (make sure she will have to sign for it).
    Hopefully that will light a fire under her.
    Good luck.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics