Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rachel
Frequent user September 2022 Alberta

Unassigned seats

Rachel, on January 13, 2021 at 12:01 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 9
Are ceremony seats unassigned unless reserved? Has anyone here assigned tables instead of seats? Our wedding is super small (35) and it just seems silly to micromanage assigned seats, but I am thinking I may just do assigned tables. How has covid affected your seating arrangements? Do you have to group people in cohorts? Tia!

9 Comments

Latest activity by Rachel, on January 14, 2021 at 10:38
  • Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh I didn't even think of plated meals being a factor! That makes sense. We are doing a buffet but I'm leaning toward assigned tables anyway just to group together who I think would have fun, or at least not be awkward or a recipe for drama.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We planned to have assigned tables not seating since we are supposed to have family style not a plated meal that guests pre-order.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It really depends on the vibe you're going for. To be honest, if I had only 35 guests, I would've kept it more free-flowing and probably do a buffet or a really fancy cocktail party with standing tables and lounge chairs instead (you get more variety food wise, and the energy is heightened allowing people to mingle more due to them being on their feet). But with covid forcing guests to stay put in a seat to a max of four per table (at least in Ontario), I would assign seats to not let anyone run wild.

• Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes, that's true, people will probably mingle about and seat swap throughout the night anyway.
  • Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This makes sense to me, I think a lack of seating plan at all at the reception can present some awkward challenges, as a guest I'd prefer to be assigned a table (or a seat) than to scramble and end up seated with a bunch of strangers, right?
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For the ceremony, if there's more seating than there are guests (ie the fixed seating at a church), you may want to block off rows of seats. Not that you have to squish everyone into the few rows at the front but I find there's always a few people who for whatever reason likes to sit completely far away from everyone else and it looks really weird to have these single heads scattered about in the back.

For the reception, if we're in covid times but allowed to dine inside, we're technically forced to place 4 people max per table. If you don't assign people to a seat (or at least a table), you might get people who will drag a chair from another table over. At least "assigning" them makes it seem like they're supposed to stay put.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think you really need to assign seats for the ceremony. Usually just the first 2 rows are reserved for family and the rest anyone else can be seated.

• Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you this is so helpful! It's so hard to plan a wedding when you've only been to one!! Trying to figure out all the customs and rules
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wedding ceremony do have unassigned seats for the most part with the front 2 rows reserved for family and wedding party if just walking down the aisle and not standing up beside you.

Reception can be assigned if you wish to have certain guests seated to separate any chaos taking place during the celebration. Unassigned seating for a small number can be left alone if you feel your guests can sit anywhere they choose.

I did have assigned seating for family to be in the front row.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics