Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amanda
Beginner July 2021 Nova Scotia

Ultimate diy: the dress

Amanda, on August 30, 2017 at 18:47 Posted in DIY 0 21

Is anybody making their dress, or having a friend/family member make it for them?

My fiance's friend sews. Mostly cosplay/costumes, and she does an amazing job. She does sew other garments as well. And I am confident that she has the skills and knowledge to sew the style of dress I am envisioning.

I was toying with the idea of making my own dress for about a month now, but I don't have adequate sewing skills for the task. I almost gave up on the idea when this past weekend she and I were talking and I showed her a dress I was considering buying. She outright said, "I could sew that, no problem."

So we looked at her current project, and at her stash of fabrics and decided that we're going to work together to create my dress from scratch.

21 Comments

Latest activity by Jessica, on October 18, 2017 at 07:41
  • J
    Newbie May 2020 British Columbia
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'll be making my wedding dress, I've done tons (almost a decade) of sewing in the same realm as your friend, and it's especially meaningful because both my mother in law and her mother made their wedding dresses. I've done tons of professional pattern drafting as that's part of my field, so for the next year I'm working on my embroidery, lace knitting and tambour beading skills so that I can make the dress of my dreams... whatever that looks like.

Since my wedding is really far away (2020) I wont be starting for a while, but when I do I was thinking of doing a little support group for other DIY sewing brides.

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's definitely something to think about. But, like 95% of things within the wedding industry, a lot of dressestend to be overpriced.

• N
    Newbie September 2018 Alberta
    Nancy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That is wonderful! I will be weighing the cost of made by a friend seamstress and ready made. Material costing the most.
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I need the corset, because of my specific body type haha. I need the smoothing effect they give, at the very least. . Plus, no bra needed! Hahaha! Your dress sounds like it will be gorgeous! Smiley laugh

• Ashleigh
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love your inspirational picture! My mom and I are making my dress. I have a good vision of what I'd like. Sleek, sheath fit with sparkle and a small train. It's a lot easier than you'd think, unless you wanted something poofy or with a corset. We've made a handful of nice dresses over the years, this will be our first long dress.
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awe! Yeah, it definitely is..

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The shorter one reminded me of a titania/dark fairie sort of thing. maybe with a little green ribbon and floral or butterfly applique, it could be very dark woods.

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's amazing, congratulations! When I was growing up, my mom said she'd sew my dress, but she realized it was unrealistic given her limited sewing skills. I ended up buying but making something with a friend is so much more meaningful!

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That would be so easy to make, too!!!! For someone plus size, like me, they could just buy this corset ... it has a very similar look... and make a tattered looking tulle skirt with a satin lining that matches the corset!

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I LOVE IT. It looks like a tattered ballerina. And I love the structure of the corset with the movement of the skirt. It reminds me of this dress I see circulating on Pinterest sometimes

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I forgot to mention that we're doing sort of a dark, twisted fantasy theme, so I think a dress like this would be PERFECT.

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is the photo I showed her. I absolutely LOVE the tattered/patchwork kind of look. I'd want it quite a bit longer, though. Maybe a sort of tiered look. Fiance and I are going on a day trip this weekend, and we're checking out some thrift stores so I can look for some clothing/fabrics (and maybe even a wedding dress) that we can repurpose for my dress. Smiley laugh

Ultimate diy: the dress 1

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I hope she lets you make a video of the process, that would be amazing to see! Do you have any inspiration photos of what you think the dress might look like? I'm so excited for you!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh that's really cool!

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm considering putting a video together of the whole process if she's okay with it. Smiley smile

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That is awesome!!
    Im not getting my dress made from scratch but a family friend is a very good seamstress (she has custom designed dresses for me in the past) and we are going to try to convert my moms wedding dress into a dress for me Smiley smile
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's awesome! You'll have to show us the various stages of production.
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a great idea, too! Smiley laugh My MoH and any maids I may have will be wearing black, so I might just tell them to buy any black dress they want... or go shopping in the mall with them to help them choose. Make a date of it with them all. Smiley smile

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didn't for my dress, but I did for my MoH and flower girl. I actually cut all the pieces and found a seamstress to assemble the dresses. I got the exact dresses I wanted in the exact color I wanted. It was well worth it imo.
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Right?! She's amazing! Smiley heart She's also a certified wedding planner, so she's helping us plan everything, too! Smiley laugh

She's like, my superhero!

• Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's incredible! I love that idea and it will fit you perfectly

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics