Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tori
Top October 2019 Manitoba

Types of Food - Catering

Tori, on October 28, 2019 at 16:53 Posted in Wedding reception 0 28

Well, it's been a few weeks since my wedding and I am happy to say that we have heard nothing but positive feedback on our caterer!!!

It leaves me wondering what others are going to have or what they did have for their wedding(s)!

We ended up paying I think $20/person and got the following in buffet style:

Pulled Pork (with sauces), Dinner Rolls, BBQ Chicken, Caesar Salad, Mac & Cheese, Mixed Veggies, Baked Potato's (with the fixings), and then for dessert we had a couple options: Nanaimo bar, butter tart squares, brownies, and carrot cake!

This was all from our caterer Danny's Whole Hog and I highly recommend them to anybody in Manitoba!

What did you have or what are you going to have? Is it from the venue that you booked or an outside source?

Any details and/or pics are welcome! Shout out your fav's!

28 Comments

Latest activity by Veronica, on November 5, 2019 at 23:05
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mmmm that all sounds delicious. Our venue is a restaurant, and an amazing one at that. We picked it mostly based on the food, the location just happened to be beautiful as well. We will be serving a three course dinner and appetizers during cocktail hour. The restaurant is farm to table, with plenty of the ingredients coming from their own garden. Planning to feature a spring salad or butternut squash soup, filet mignon or seared salmon, and season berry creme brûlée for dessert. I can't wait!

• Monique
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That must have been nice to have the venue for the entire weekend!

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think it was roughly $4,500 (plus a $1,000 damage deposit but we got that back). Oh, and this was back in 2018 though when we booked based off of blueprints as it wasn't built yet and booked for the "off season" of October which meant we got the venue for the whole weekend (Fri-Sun) for the price of a Sat. wedding.

That's fair, the farthest we had people travelling was a 4.5 hour drive away from the city and they had other family they could have stayed with as well as our offer of a bus shuttle to and from the city.

• Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    How much was it to rent your venue? That must've been nice to bring everything in because all the venues in Saskatoon are the same with either blank slate not really unique but can bring your own food and drinks or very nice looking but require you to use their catering. We stayed in the city, we may have been able to get something cheaper outside the city but at least 80% of guests are travelling so we wanted to stay close to airports, more hotel and restaurant choices.
  • Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Even then though - I mean, my venue supplied the place and that's it. I got the food, booze, servers, etc. from all different vendors! Plus we had to go outside the city (45 min outside) to get that because everybody inside the city wanted you to use all of their connections (which I get - but it's expensive!)

Will yours be in the city or did you have to go on the outskirts as well?

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ya!! I had a s'mores table with burners in it that people loved. We also had hot dogs as the late night snack which everybody seemed to love! It was just so simple and real unlike typical wedding food.

• Danielle
    Frequent user July 2022 Manitoba
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah the weather has been crazy! Our venue has a firepit too so hopefully it'll be nice and not rainy! I'd like to offer cake and s'mores as a late night snack Smiley smile
  • Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Basically had to write off any golf club and most of the nicer hotels :/ Ended up at Rivers Edge Resort out in Elma though so it all worked out! Got to have bonfires (after it stopped raining) and had the river not been so high and fast running we could have gotten married on the dock!

• Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah some places were so much, like our budget is $5000 so we're not paying $70 a person haha. But that doesn't include drinks except for coffee, tea and water.
  • Danielle
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ugh I know! Since we're in the same area we likely looked at some of the same or similar venues and it was ridiculous how expensive some of them are.
  • Danielle
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha there will have to be!
  • Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

See - that's some good pricing! The venues me and my Husband were looking at all wanted closer to $60-$80/person! I just couldn't get over how expensive some places were!

• Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We’re going to be having a 4 course meal with chicken as the main for $40. Using the venues catering is required so that’s what we’re doing. The venue is our dream venue and when we went on the tour, the desserts were amazing!

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well dang, that sounds amazing! I was thinking of taking my wedding party out as an additional thank you and there would be a dozen of us so that gives me hope as to what pricing should/could be around.

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No, we needed a minimum of 8 to reserve the smaller of their private dining rooms, but that is just one of their usual event menus that they gave us. We actually only had 9 people.
    We bought a few bottles of good wine for the table and any other drink people wanted, but the entire bill for the meals plus booze, tax and tip came to under $700 for the 9 of us.
  • Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow, that does sound more than reasonable - did you have to have a min. head count or anything to get that price?

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Omg that is a great idea 😂

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We went to a restaurant and it was amazing. It was a 4 course meal with little vegetable bruschetta; choice between soup or salad; choice between steak, chicken supreme, or salmon; and caramel apple blossoms for dessert. It cost $45 per person. It was perfect.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're having a mix between east indian food and west indian food. however my FH and i are going to eat a steak in the bridal room just the two of us ahhaha

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh it was!

Do you know what kind of food you are going with?

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow that sounds delish!! glad the food was a hit!

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Your late night snack sounds amazing - we looked into cheeseburgers and junior chickens here in WPG for our wedding social and were so thrown off by the prices though! Had it been cheaper I for sure would have loved to have that.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Or Venue did all the food and it was amazing. It worked out to be about $80 a person for the meal.
    We had a deluxe antipasto bar. This had EVERYTHING. A ton of cold cuts, cheese, fruit, olives, roasted red peppers, eggplant. You name it, it was there. They also had a sautee station, so fresh shrimp and scallops fired there. Plus Calamari. That could have been a meal on its own.

Then we had Penne a la vodka with sausage and meatballs.

Chicken or Salmon, with potatoes and veggies.
    Then for dessert we had Caramel Crunch. I believe Johnny Rocco's has this on their dessert menu and it is AMAZING!

Then we had Pizza, Mc Donalds Cheese burgers and fondue for the late night snack!

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds amazing!!! Surprisingly enough I never had little bones until I saw them at the Ukrainian Festival 2017 Smiley tongue Of all places.

Will there be a taste test? lol

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our venue is doing the food. We have the full antipasto during the cocktail hour. Salad, pasta, chicken, beef medallions, potatoes, rice and vegetables. We are going with the apple blossoms for dessert. We are doing family style so we dont have to figure out who sits where for plated meals. Our late night is pizza, poutine, fruit and our cake. Not sure how much dinner is per person since it is all included with alcohol and the venue itself.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our food comes through our venue.

Guests will start with the antipasto table!
    Guests then get to choose between a steak, chicken or veg main course. They start with a pasta, move onto a salad and then the main following with a sweet desert!
    We’re having a midnight table as well that we are still finalizing.
  • Danielle
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    FH and I went back and forth between DHH and finding a chicken wing place. In the end we decided to go with Little Bones Wings! We're going to have wings and a poutine bar. Smiley smile
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The venue catered to our needs for hor d'ouvres, 4 course meal and late night buffet.

We had a mxi of veg and non-veg to ensure our guests got fed proper. It was great and everyone enjoyed.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics