Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rekramer
Expert November 2018 Ontario

Trying not to take over the Videographer Thread...

Rekramer, on October 15, 2018 at 16:15 Posted in DIY 0

So, I realized I posted a lot on the videographer thread and that's probably annoying so I'm going to say my own piece in a separate post. I initially didn't think a videographer would be worthwhile and they were CRAZY expensive in the area we're getting married in (like $5,000 for a 2 min video). Then I heard a few things that made me think a videographer would be worthwhile, which were:

1. I've never seen someone who had a videographer say they regretted it (except you know, in cases of fraud).

2. Everyone I talked to who had a videographer was very positive about the experience and said they used some stills from their video.

3. I saw one article where someone said their grandfather gave a memorable speech which they didn't get on video, and a few years after the wedding, he passed away, and how much that bride wished she had a video so that she could hear his voice.

4. A consultant that came to speak at my office spent a long time explaining how video is a much more engaging activity for your brain, so it makes you feel more connected and also helps the memories stick better, and I have a terrible memory.

This all still left me with the idea that $5,000 for a 2 minute video was unacceptable. So I did some digging. If you want to go with something cheaper, basically your options are: a. a DIY service or b. an amateur service. I'm paranoid and don't trust strangers so an amateur service was out for me.

I looked around, and found a DIY service that I LOVE to look of. they basically ship you a couple cameras, you give them out to guests, and they shoot for the night to make sure everything works out. Of course, things can go wrong. Firstly, technical glitches are a real issue. Second, if your guests aren't the type to feel comfortable filming or aren't good with their phones, a camera is going to be a waste on them. We're fortunate to have tech and camera happy friends, so that's the way we went. Overall, we're spending less than $1,500 for a 30 minute video, a 2 min video, and we get to download all the raw footage and keep it around just for fun, even if it doesn't make it into the video.

I hope this helps, I hope there's another bride out there that was looking for an idea, or feeling bummed that a video wasn't in her budget, and this helps them squeeze it in.

After all, we're all in this together.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics