Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N
Newbie May 2022 British Columbia

Tricky officiating situation.. please help!

Natalie, on November 4, 2020 at 23:24 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 3

So my fiance and I are finally ending our long distance in 2022 (still a while away but it's exciting to have a date!) and we were going to have our Pastor officiate the wedding. Some context, our Pastor is in Alberta where my fiance lives. Our wedding is in BC (where I'm from and for the sake of other family related things).

Can our pastor from Alberta legally sign the marriage license in BC? We have my Pastor in BC who we were thinking of as a back up in case, but is it strange to have him come up just to sign it during the ceremony but not be officiating? And better question, is that legal?

If anyone knows the answer, please let me know! I want to get this out of the way early on. Thanks everyone!

3 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on November 5, 2020 at 14:00
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The Officiant who is to marry you two is allowed to sign the license at the ceremony and not from Alberta not being present.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No he can't. He's only legally allowed to perform in Alberta. You'd have to find a pastor in BC

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Unfortunately no. Officiants are registered with their province. If your pastor performs marriages in Alberta, he cannot conduct the ceremony and marry you in BC.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics