Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jessica
Frequent user September 2018 Ontario

Travelling south in September ?

Jessica, on February 6, 2018 at 08:39 Posted in Honeymoon 0 12
Has anyone ever travelled south ( Dominican, Mexico etc. ) in late September and can vouch for the weather ? ... we are trying to decide on booking our honey moon for right after our wedding ( Sept.15) to prevent us from booking time off work for the wedding and then again in the winter for the honey moon. But 2017 had quite a hurricane season so I'm worried about getting caught in one travelling that time of year !

Thank you for any advice !!

12 Comments

Latest activity by Paige, on January 22, 2024 at 18:22
  • P
    Newbie December 2024 British Columbia
    Paige ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I can’t personally vouch but I just had a call with a travel coordinator and she said that “hurricanes come when they come” and she’s had some in September/oct/and some in April/may and it’s honestly a roll of the dice. I’m planning my 2025 wedding for sept 🤷‍♀️
  • A
    Newbie September 2023 Berlin
    Alice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We visited Costa Rica in September. It was a great trip!

• J
    Newbie November 2022 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The weather is good down there until November

• Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went to Mexico early October one year and it was fine!

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We went to Costa Rica in late September last year. Weather was great during the day and it rained every evening for a couple of hours before clearing up. We knew when booking that it was rainy season, so we got what we bargained for. You can look at places outside of the hurricane belt (the ABC islands are good for that - Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao) but be sure to purchase travel insurance in case there are hurricanes over the Caribbean that impact your flights.

• Louise
    Devoted September 2017 Quebec
    Louise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went to Rivera Maya the second week of September for my honeymoon. We had beautiful weather with no rain, it was 35c every day. It’s all relative, you can’t predict the weather Smiley smile
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

September might not be a great time to go South, but it would be the best time to hit Europe or the Greek Islands.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It’s hurricane season around that time so I have always avoided it. After 2017 I think it’s pretty risky
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's always a toss up when going to South during hurricane season. It is much cheaper which is a bonus, but you might end up getting caught in something. It's risky...

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it all depends what your expectations are! We went to Mexico last October and got hit with rain but enjoyed the days without rain (though it wasn’t HOT hot). Dominican on the other hand... I feel like it’s always hot and lovely. I’ve never been there in September but I once went in March and it was 35+ the majority of the time with zero rain.

But it sounds like your minds made up and you should do whatever feels right for you ☺️ Best of luck!
  • Jessica
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Congratulations to you as well !! Thanks for your Input ! It is a little stressful thinking about the what ifs for sure ... and I don't think it's worth the risk. But we defiantly wanted to hear opinions before we made the choice. As we have had one person say they only had 1 day of rain when they went in September . It is looking lile waiting is the smarter option already !
  • Jamie
    Frequent user September 2018 Alberta
    Jamie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wouldn't personally go in September!
    My cousin is a travel agent, and she recommends Mexico starting in November and Dominican in December. My boss also owns a condo down in Mexico and he only goes starting in November, he said it isn't worth it during hurricane season, not only for the risk but the rainy weather can be ongoing for days!

We are getting married the same day as you! (Congrats!!), and will likely be going on our honeymoon between December and January so we can fully enjoy without the worry of hurricanes!

If you need resort recommendations in Mexico, let me know 🙂

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics