Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Newbie June 2019 Ontario

Toronto wedding venue - Arlington Estate

Angela, on March 5, 2018 at 02:12 Posted in WeddingWire 0 12

Hi everyone. I am just wondering if any of you have visited The Arlington estate and if any of you have talked to the owner or got a quote from Arlington. I really like the venue when I visited but the whole process so far is a bit of alarming. I am just wondering if any of you have had the same experience as me and what I should do at this time.

After getting a very thorough tour of the facility by their grounds manager, we went upstairs and met with the owner Ramy. I have read alot of reviews online about Arlington where alot of people said Ramy was very helpful and went out of his way to make sure their wedding is everything they imagined. But for us, we didn't feel the same. In fact, I felt very rushed where he quickly gave us a quote and we went our way. The part that was most concerning was when it came to menu and venue cost discussion. When asked, Ramy said that their menu is all customizable so there is no menu. He asked what kind of salad we like, but we weren't give the choices as there is no menu, but he named a few types so we quickly chose one. Then he asked what type of meat, so we said we like the option for a beef and another fish. So he suggest their short rib and maybe another option for salmon. Then he asked us one dessert or upgrade for a trio. Throughout the whole process he never showed us a menu or the exact choices or the EXACT COST for each option. Customizable menu sounds really great, but when there is nothing to refer to it becomes very vague and not concrete. If I don't know the cost of each dish it is really hard to do budget calculation. Even though he never provided us with a menu and never told us what each cost, he was able to punch something in his computer to give me a quote for a 3 course meal for 100-120 people. After Ceremony cost and tax and all he gave $26,000 for 100 people. The fact that he never showed us or he doesn't have a menu, he chose not to or he didn't want to tell us what each dish cost is kind of alarming to me. I don't know if this is just how he does business or he just doesn't want to go into detail with someone who has yet to sign a contract. But I am just afraid that once I sign the contract he can very easily change the cost of the dishes because I have no clue what everything cost. Please let me know if anyone had similar experiences and what you think we should do at this point.

We did send an email to Ramy explaining how without a menu we have no idea what to expect. To summarize what he replied it is pretty much in the line of "you can expect whatever you want because menu can be customized to your need; we can do all sorts of thing; we can also upgrade all sorts of thing". BUT nowhere in the email was cost ever mentioned. After reading the email I was as clueless as before. For example, I still don't know which 6 dishes I am getting for cocktail and what the costs for each dishes are. Because we do like the venue and is really giving him the benefit of the doubt that maybe he is just very busy and didn't really answer thoroughly, we made up a menu based on what the other venues offer and asked him to give us an EXACT quote for that menu so if we were to choose this after signing contract, that will be exactly what we pay. We are currently waiting for his reply. Again, please let me know if any of you had any similar experiences and what you think I should do in this situations.

If anyone knows any other venue where there is an option for an outdoor garden ceremony with nice reception hall that fits 100-120 people please let me know. Thanks everyone for taking your time to read my essay! Confused and frustrated bride here!

12 Comments

Latest activity by Kyle, on August 8, 2022 at 05:32
  • Kyle
    Newbie July 2021
    Kyle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Here's the link, scroll to the review from Jessica:

https://www.weddingwire.ca/mansion-weddings/the-arlington-estate--e15671/reviews

• Alessia
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Alessia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Angela,

Not sure if you ended up going with Arlington or not... But it is a beautiful venue. Only thing I didn't like from our meeting was how EXPENSIVE everything was! You definitely pay for the beauty. We are having 180-200 guests and definitely could not justify spending that much on food... or lack there of. We went to a wedding last summer and the food was nothing special. We were left hungry...

• A
    Newbie June 2019 Ontario
    Angela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Bianca! Talking to you defintely brought me smiles during this frustrating process lolll thanks for the tip. i will check out Royal Ambassador Banquet.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I enjoy your detailed replies! Since you’re working with a planner, you’re already one step ahead of the game! I’m envious that you have someone to do your dirty work lmao!

I’be heard very good things about Chateau Le Parc. I looked into them but unfortunately they didn’t have our date available and they had a minimum spending requirement for a Sunday ($15000 minimum).

Have you looked at The Royal Ambaasador banquet hall? It’s in Caledon, has a great outdoor space to get married under a gazebo, and the food is amazing! Price point is similar to Arlington Estate, too.

Good luck with your planning from Boston, I’m sure you’ll put together an amazing wedding!
  • A
    Newbie June 2019 Ontario
    Angela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Bianca,
    It is great to hear that you had similar experiences as me. Phewww lol. And it is weird to say this but it is also some what comforting to know that other venues like the venetian also has this weird way of doing menus. At least it is not just arlington.

So I did get a reply from him today. Again he didnt tell me what each item costs and what type of hors odouevres to expect etc. But he did tell me how he does his calculations. Kinda. Basically basic package is 195+ tax which includes 6 pieces for cocktail, a salad, a choice of rib or fish or vege and one dessert. Anything else is an add on and u pay more. I was not impressed when he said i cant switch from six to four pieces during cocktail hour and use the money for upgrades. I mean moneywise It costs him the same if I balaces the cost for the upgrades. It is just weird that there is not much flexibility here when it is suppose to be customizable menu. The impression i got is menu is customizable but pretty much then you are looking at upgrades, upgrades and more upgrades because they r not flexible to allow you to customize while staying within the same cost. But I do feel a bit better after talking to him. At least now I know how he is doing his calculation. I am just wondering how much of this lack or flexible would be reflected on their overall services.

To answer your question. We are hoping for a venue within the GTA. We are hoping for a outdoor ceremony with lots of greenery and a nice size hall that is elegantly decorated and hopefuly white in color. Doesnt that sound like arlington LOL. In terms of price point definitely 195 of arlington is on the high end of our budget. But if the venue is as good as some of the reviews I have read and the food is good and the service is good we dont mind the 195 at this point. But of course if I can find similar venue at lower cost I wont mind go for that either. We have visited a few venues with outdoor ceremony options like graydon hall, estate of sunnybrook, old mill. Overall we felt arlington met most of what we want. It is also my fiances favourite pick. It is just this menu thing thats giving us a bad vibe.

Other options at this point is to sacrifice the outdoor ceremony part and choose a banquet hall. We are debating between arlington vs Chateau le parc. We have yet to visit chateau le parc because we actually live in Boston at this time. From pictures it looks very modern and elegant and the food selection is quite good and reasonably priced and all listed out LOL. Their sales person seems very nice to talk to as well. My planner has done weddings there before. I am just debating with myself at this point. Thanks alot for replying me. And thanks for reading another of my essays. I tend to do that alot LOL. Smiley smile
  • A
    Newbie June 2019 Ontario
    Angela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Laura, I have emailed Jessica Smiley smile
  • A
    Newbie June 2019 Ontario
    Angela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey renee. Thanks for replying me. I did ask him straight if there is a menu. He said there isnt. Everything is customizeable. I actually got an email reply from him today. He was pretty timely with his reply thats a plus and he was welcoming for me to call him to chat. I was at work and couldnt but we exchanged some email. He basically told me with his reply today that their base fee is 195 + tax for food and drink and it coveres 6 pieces of hors o’douevres for cocktail, a salad, a AAA main course with a choice if rib, fish or vege, and a single dessert. I guess I am just not used to not having a menu where it is clearly listed which six hors o’douevres, what kind if salad can be provided, what type of main course are there with which sides and what kind of dessert are there. He listed some for me very quickly during the visit. But I guess it would be nice to have it in print. After so many venue visit it is so hard to remember who has what. He basically said I cannot switch the six pieces during cocktail hour to four pieces and use the money from those two pieces for upgrades. I didnt like the lack of flexibility even though it suppose to be a customizable menu. I do feel much better about the menu after chatting with him though. At least I kinda know how he is doing his calculation. It is just very interesting way of doing business. Makes me concerned about how flexible they are with their services and working with other vendors and etc.

I have also checked out graydon hall. It is beautiful. But they increased their minimum for summer weddings to 35,000 before tax and gratitude this year. This is way out of my budget. I am hoping to have a summer wedding hopefully with an outdoor ceremony and everything together around 45,000. I did the math for graydon hall summer sat wedding, venue itself is around my total budget lolll i also looked into summer sunday wedding at graydon hall. Sunday minimum is 25,000. After tax and all is 32000 and that might be tight for the rest. Thanks though for your imput.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Arlington Estates was one of the first venues I contacted when I started my wedding planning. I felt the same way where I did not like how the menu was so vague. I’ve been to other similar places like that (The Venetian) where we built our menu and the price was based around how we built it (but they didn’t tell us how much it was as we were making it).

Are you looking for something in the Vaughan-GTA area? Are you looking to spend $195 per plate or aiming for something lower?
  • Renee
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Check out Graydon Hall manor I believe their price is very similar. But I'm curious, did you try just asking him straight out if there is a menu you can see with individual prices? It seems that he is quoting you based on what you choose. For example he quoted you 100-120 based on your meat type. Maybe had you said lobster tail hr may have quoted 130-140. I feel it's always best to ask and be forward instead of assume! You don't want to let your possible dream venue go over miscommunication Smiley winking
  • L
    Newbie September 2018 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Here's the link, scroll to the review from Jessica:

https://www.weddingwire.ca/mansion-weddings/the-arlington-estate--e15671/reviews

• A
    Newbie June 2019 Ontario
    Angela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Laura,

Thanks for replying to my post. It is very confusing and doesn't give me confidence. Do you happen to still have that review and the person's email. I got a reply from the owner. Basically it seems like there is a base fee of 195+ tax which is 6 Hors D'ouevres, one salad, one type of AAA main course, one single desert, 7hrs open bar; very little description is given about what each dish is. Then if you wish to change any of the items or add any items, those would all be upgrades, upgrades, upgrades. Thanks again for helping me out! Smiley smile

angela

• L
    Newbie September 2018 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Angela, That sounds really confusing to me as well. I did read the weddingwire reviews for Arlington and someone offered to help people through this process and left their email address. That could be a good start for you if you are interested in the venue? Good Luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics