Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Newbie September 2022 Ontario

To have or to not have hors d'oeuvres

Andrea, on May 10, 2022 at 15:19 Posted in Wedding reception 0 10

Having mixed thoughts as to have hors d'oeuvres or not reception is planned to start at 5pm so dinner probably by 6:15pm any suggestions?

10 Comments

Latest activity by Danielle, on May 29, 2022 at 16:00
  • Danielle
    Curious August 2022 Alberta
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are not doing hor d'oeuvres as our ceremony ends at 5pm, reception to be seated at 5:45pm and dinner at 6pm. We will have the bar open but with such a short period in between we decided against it. We are doing a late night taco bar after dinner around 10:30pm instead.

• KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

With such a short time frame between the ceremony and dinner we aren't having hors d'oeuvres.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If people are arriving just for dinner, I think you can axe the hors d'oeuvres. I would keep the bar open though and just use the time when people trickle in as a photo opportunity (ie have guests take a photo with you as they come in before taking their seat).

• Hailey
    Expert June 2022 British Columbia
    Hailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

100% up to you. I agree with Hank even just some small food, We are doing some for example chips, veggie fruit tray and some crackers, meat etc!

• A
    Newbie September 2022 Ontario
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    To remove cocktail hour all together. We already had our ceremony last September we just postponed the reception to this year.
  • Kara
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it’s up to you guys. I made the decision purely based on timing of the dinner (just over an hour from ceremony ending)… our bar is open and I didn’t feel right about making people wait without food while drinking. And it’s a bit of a wait in between. I would serve them.
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have reception open with dinner service starting around 6 and we decided to have a small amount of snack type foods available
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Just to clarify, are you asking if you should serve hors d'oeuvres during cocktail hour, or to remove cocktail hour all together?

If you're having cocktail hour, I would serve hors d'oeuvres. It's not a great idea to have people drink alcohol without any food available to them.

If you're removing cocktail hour then you need to be pretty efficient at starting the reception right after the ceremony. If you foresee yourself wanting to take photos or mingle with guests, it would be awkward if everyone is standing around just waiting for something to happen.

• Jacquie
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Jacquie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been thinking about this too. Our ceremony starts at 6:30. If you start hors d'oeuvres at 7, then you can't have dinner till...8:30?

I'm going to ask our venue if we can reserve it and have a late night snack instead.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Its totally up you and your fiance and if you really wanna spend money on that aa well as having more food within a short amount of time.
    Our timelines are about the same cocktails 515pm and our dinner is at 6pm. We've decided not to serve hor d'oeuvres.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics