Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Maegan
Frequent user August 2021 Ontario

To cake or not to cake?

Maegan, on August 7, 2018 at 12:45

Posted in Wedding reception 38

So my FH and I were talking recently and we can't get over how expensive a wedding cake is! All we wanted was a 3 tier cake with 2 slabs being plastic or styrafoam and only the top one edible. This is because our guests will alrrady be getting dessert included with dinner and we have a late night...
So my FH and I were talking recently and we can't get over how expensive a wedding cake is! All we wanted was a 3 tier cake with 2 slabs being plastic or styrafoam and only the top one edible. This is because our guests will alrrady be getting dessert included with dinner and we have a late night snack so no one should need the cake as they're hungry.
So now we're wondering if we shpuld just forgo to cake altogether. We talked to our parents about it and they get it, all the cake really is nowadays is a few photos anyways.
Has anyone just not had a wedding cake?
Thoughts? Opinions? Will we miss it?
Thanks!

38 Comments

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We plan on having assorted desserts for our wedding but I really want a cake so that we can do the cake cutting ceremony... With that being said - we planned on just getting a small simple cake from somewhere like Safeway and building a little arch for it to be put on (my FH is a carpenter so he should be able to do that no problem).

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't have a cake. We just did assorted desserts on a table and that was it!

• Lydia
    Devoted June 2019 British Columbia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I suggested not having cake because of the same reasons you guys came up with, but my fiancé really wants cake (even though we probably have desserts included in the buffet we're having). We've been baking a lot before, and we're not that good yet, but still, we got to summer next year and we decided to just practice a lot and make our own cake as a compromise. Seeing you also still got a bit of time, maybe that's an idea if you would still like to have a cake?
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got a sweet table with our venue so we are just doing that with a small 2 tier cake only for cutting photos and to keep the top piece for us! I find cakes are very traditional but for me is for sure not missed at a wedding when they're not there! By the time the cake is cut no one really wants a full slice of cake... just a little sweet treat and you're solid!
  • Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Glad its not just us who think this way! Thanks
  • Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're not having a cake either. Like you, dessert is included and I don't really like cake...so I asked FH and he agreed. As much as they are beautiful, I won't miss not having one.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics