Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Laura
Curious September 2018 Quebec

Timeline First Dance

Laura, on July 18, 2018 at 08:13 Posted in Wedding reception 0 11

Hi everyone!

We are wondering when does the first dance typically take place? Before dinner or in between the last course and dessert?

So far our timeline consists of our bridal party entrance, bride and groom entrance, a couple of fun songs to keep everyone dancing on the dance floor and then the DJ will announce for everyone to take their seats as the meal is about to be served. Our DJ suggested playing a slow song but a less important one that we would dance to while everyone takes their seats. And then after the last course and before the dessert would be the father daughter dance which after my dad would then hand me to my husband for our first dance.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks

11 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on July 23, 2018 at 14:45
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did our dances after the speeches which were after dinner and before dessert.

• Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This will be our timeline! I like the idea of the games first so we can loosen up and have afew drinks in us, I think it’ll help our nerves.. hoping anyways 😆

Timeline First Dance 1
  • Kristina
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Kristina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing ours right after we are introduced at the reception before dinner. That way hopefully get some nerves out of the way so I can actually eat something.

• Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think there's lots of wiggle room for a first dance - it's a lot of preference.

We're doing ours right after dinner, but I've also been to weddings where they have done it before dinner, or even during dessert!

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did ours as soon as we entered. That being said, we didn't have a bridal party entrance, just us and then our first dance right away. We then slated our speeches between the courses and after dessert did our thank you speech and immediately went into Father/Daughter and Mother/Son dances. Then the party began!

• Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having our first dance immediately after our grand entrance...everyone is already at their seats watching us come and we will already be at the D-Floor...we thought it would flow nicely. Our parents are doing their speeches between/during each course after immediately after their speech we will have a special dance with our parent (me with my dad, my FH with his mom). after dinner/dessert - the party starts!

• Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing it after the grand entrances when people are already seated and not distracted by food.

• Susy
    Curious August 2018 Ontario
    Susy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you are a worrier like me (LOL) I'd do it right away after our entrance.

I feel like if we were to wait I'd be nervous and not enjoy my dinner!

Worrying aside I can't really think of a better time to do the dance because you will already have everyone's attention and you will already be on the dance floor.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think we will do ours between dinner and speeches... I thought I'd always go straight into it from the entrance, but I'm not sure now. We would need to push dinner back 15 to 30 mins to have the dances before hand.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Time line is looking good and after your entrance, lead into the first dance. It does help to not skip dessert while everyone is eating.

The DJ had our first dance at 11pm with everyone circling us. I had planned it after our entrance as well.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally I was thinking of having our first dance as soon as we walked in to the reception to avoid having to rush to the dance floor once I am stuffed with food and before I get any liquid courage!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics