Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Curious January 2019 Alberta

Time between Ceremony & Reception (winter Wedding)

Sarah, on October 10, 2017 at 15:13 Posted in Alberta 0 8

Hello,

we are getting married on January 12, 2019 at Shawnessy Barn in Calgary AB. We are having our ceremony and reception at the same place. However, I don't know that my guests are going to do while we take off for photos after the ceremony.

Any tips on what to do for guests in the winter to kill time? Cocktail, snacks etc.

8 Comments

Latest activity by Daphne, on October 17, 2017 at 17:29
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely cocktails and snacks. People will want to mingle and discuss how beautiful the ceremony was and catch-up with friends and relatives they haven't seen in a while.

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cocktails and snacks. People will want to drink and eat while waiting. Especially if the pictures take awhile.

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's what we did. Our ceremony was at 3 pm, and our bar opened at 3:30 with lots of snacks served. That's what people do at a wedding, eat, drink, and mingle.

• Lorissa
    Newbie January 2019 Alberta
    Lorissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am struggling with this too! Our venue doesn't exactly offer an area for the cocktail hour so I'm not sure what we are going to do!!
  • Amber
    Devoted September 2018 Alberta
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are also doing a cocktail hour for the time in between. Most weddings I have attended there was nothing planned, which was fine. We always met up with other family and made our own cocktail hour. I attended a wedding this spring and it was the first one I have been to that had an official cocktail hour and I just loved it! It was in a hotel so right after the ceremony we had about an hour before cocktails so we went to the bar for a few drinks then headed to cocktail hour. It gave us a chance to visit with some of the guests we did not know and I really enjoyed that.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had the same thing - ceremony and reception in the same place. We had a 90 minute cocktail hour with appetizers while we were doing photos and everyone loved it. It gave them a chance to talk to everyone before they sat down for dinner and then moved on to dancing.

• Sarah
    Curious January 2019 Alberta
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you - this is super helpful!

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Sarah! Typically couples will host a cocktail hour for their guests while the wedding party is taking pictures. It's just an hour of drinks and appetizers with background music!

You can also try to get as many pictures as you can done before the ceremony, or consider a first look!

The Pros and Cons of Doing a First Look

6 Things You'll Need for a Killer Cocktail Hour

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics