Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner August 2022 Ontario

Thoughts on Maid of Honour Speech

Jenna, on May 6, 2022 at 09:08 Posted in Wedding reception 0 13

So, I was supposed to get married two years ago but due to covid we postponed to have the wedding we dreamed of.

Well, here we are trying to plan that dream wedding and my maid of honour backs out because she is pregnant and due the week of my wedding - so now she won't even be there as a guest.

Now, I have the other bridesmaids stepping up and helping with showers, bachelorette and signing the registry. But none of them want to do a toast/speech..

My fiance says we should take out the Best Man speech, but I think that would hurt the Best Man's feelings, not to mention it is a staple speech at a wedding. But fiance says both or none, because he doesn't feel right having someone speak for him and no one for me as he keeps saying the wedding is supposed to be revolving around me, the bride. He felt the same way about the mother-son dance and said he didn't want to take away the light of the father daughter dance - I finally convinced him otherwise on that and said he should dance with his mother. But this he doesn't seem to be budging on..

I am trying not have hurt feelings of my maid of honour getting pregnant and backing out but it is hard not to.. as it seems to be causing so many issues now.. and not feeling like the dream wedding we waited for.

13 Comments

Latest activity by Emily, on May 13, 2022 at 17:46
  • Emily
    Newbie July 2022 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When a friend of mine got married, he didn't have any speeches planned, but he went to the mic, and opened the floor for anyone who wants to say something to come forward. This would allow the best man to say a speech and perhaps a family member of yours could speak for you? My friend's cousin came up for him, and a few university buddies. They weren't in the wedding party, but they were there as guests.

Also, could your Maid of honor record herself saying the speech and you could play it at the wedding? Either a video recording or audio? Or send the speech for someone else to read. I definitely think everyone would understand her situation, and it would still be a beautiful moment.

• KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Could the best man do a speech about the couple not just the groom? If your FH is adamant about this then I would ask a good friend or friend of your family do a speech for you?
  • J
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s another great suggestion! Thank you! I’ll definitely ask her about doing something like that!
  • Elena
    Curious November 2020 Ontario
    Elena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Jenna,

Due to Covid, I did my ceremony first and a year later, my reception. My sister was my MOH and she got pregnant and was due around the time of my reception. (Therefore she also wasn’t comfortable attending in person.) However, she recorded a video speech which we played at the wedding. It worked out very well and she also added a touch of humour saying she’s ready to pop, and that it’s not a Covid time reception without a video greeting. This is another option which you may wish to consider. Congratulations and I’m sure things will fall into place.
  • J
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s true! I’ll definitely talk to him about it! Thanks everyone for all your thoughts and help! Sometimes I just feel so lost and stressed with all the wedding stuff!
  • Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I one million percent agree with Rayanne here. I think your brother could be a perfect fit! Have a chat with him and see if he'd be up for it!

I think we can sometimes over think things when it comes to wedding as there are so many "traditional" wedding things that are "normally" done but I feel like in 2022 we can start steering away from traditions (unless its a religious/heritage addition) and do what is best for the couple.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'd 100% have my brother do the speech. It makes perfect sense to me. It doesn't have to be called the MOH's speech lol. As long as its someone who knows you well and loves you...what could be better?
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I don't think it would look weird having a groomsmen do the speech especially if he is your brother!
  • J
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have divided all the other tasks with the bridesmaids.. and they have bee fine with that. Its just they are all shy and not public speakers so no one really stepped up to the plate for a speech.

• J
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Unfortunately not that close with the best man, I have only met them a select amount of times. He grew up with my fiance but moved further away for college and just comes back to visit from time to time.

All of my close friends are in my bridal party already - other than that we have distant relatives attending the wedding. My brother is a groomsmen, and I had thought of asking him but then I thought it might look weird having the maid of honour speech come from a groomsmen.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Would your other bridesmaids be willing do a speech together so it's not just one person? Can the bestman make his speech more about the two of you rather than just him? Make it more about your future than your pasts? My MOH wants to do a speech but she doesn't want to be alone when she does it.
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went through a veryyy similar situation. My MOH is pregnant and high risk so she can't come to my wedding. Thankfully I had a bridesmaid who was willing to do the MOH speech and I divided all the other responsibilities among my bridesmaids. I would look at friends outside the bridal party or a close family member to do the MOH speech.
  • Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

HI Jenna,

I can sympathize a bit with your situation, as I just found out my MOH is pregnant, but thankfully will only be ably 5-6 months when my day comes, but she is also my ONLY person for my party so if she was out, I'd have no one on my side.

Curious, do you maybe have any friends or family member that are not in the party that would be comfortable with a speech? Or are you maybe close enough with the best man that he could give a couples speech?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics