Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Marsha
Devoted July 2022 Ontario

The Cake

Marsha, on January 17, 2022 at 18:56 Posted in Wedding reception 1 30

I am looking to have a cake for our wedding, but also hope to have a sweet table with cupcakes, cookies, and candies. I am unsure what is the best size to order. My guest list is 180 but not sure how many will RSVP yes. So do i get a cake for 100 guests or do i get a cake to serve over 100.

I would love to hear what you ladies are doing?

30 Comments

Latest activity by Marsha, on January 25, 2022 at 10:16
  • Marsha
    Marsha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is what i am actually discussing now with the two ladies i am looking into. this makes more sense, this way they can add the slices of cake to the small dessert table. thank you for your reply i truly appreciate it.

• S
    Curious July 2022 Saskatchewan
    Sheila ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I really disagree with those that say not everyone eats cake. At my previous wedding, there was not a single piece left of our cake for 180 people! Of course I picked the cake based on taste, and it really was amazing!

My suggestion would be do a smaller two tier cake that’s pretty for the cutting, and then have a sheet cake in the back that gets cut and served. That way you won’t be short, AND you don’t have to spend thousands of dollars on a big fancy looking cake.
  • Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you very much Marsha!
    Oh okay that’s great! Happy to hear! Wishing you all the best in that planning.
  • BreddGar
    Curious March 2023 Greater London
    BreddGar ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not worth it. Always happy to help good people.

• Marsha
    Marsha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Beautiful design. yea i am working it out with a few bakers

• Marsha
    Marsha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks , appreciate your reply

• BreddGar
    Curious March 2023 Greater London
    BreddGar ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that for you a cake for a hundred people is more than necessary. Because some may not come to the wedding, some will be on a diet, some may be allergic to sweets.

• Allison
    Frequent user October 2022 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good luck! 😁
  • Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did a 3 tier cake, even though we had a 3 course meal with desserts included. Then at the end of the night, we had the caterers that cut up the cake and place it into small boxes for anyone that wished so take a piece of cake home.

Also, we changed to share cake with our close family and anyone that assisted with the wedding.
    The Cake 1

If you’re serving desserts at the end, you don’t have to do a big cake. Maybe 1 or 2 tier. But I’m sure a 3 tier can serve about 100 people.
  • Marsha
    Marsha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you for your reply, this is exactly what i am now thinking of. shopping around for a baker now though. and hoping they are open to doing fake tiers and 1 real and then a slab cake to serve

• Marsha
    Marsha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yea am actually shopping around to see if i can get a 3 tier fake cake with 1 tier real for cutting. and then to serve they can make a slab cake this should cost a bit more inexpensive

• Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm planning to meet the vendor for our cake soon. I heard that you can have a fake cake with different tiers and the top one real.

The cake you'll be serving can be a normal version of your wedding cake. Easier to serve for your guests.
    If we go with that I guess it can be easier.
    On the other hand, going with the number of guests is fine. If you have extra cake you can freeze it and eat it one year after for your anniversary! I also heard it's a thing!
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Are you serving a plated dessert as part of dinner service? If so you probably only need to plan cake servings for about 50% of your guests - especially if you are planning a sweets table with cupcakes and other desserts. Two of the weddings I've been in actually skipped the cake cutting altogether because they ran out of time in the itinerary and had so much other food no one noticed. Another friend had a GORGEOUS wedding cake that barely anyone ate because they had an 8-course dinner AND an insane sweets table with a 6 ft caramel and chocolate fountain. If you like the look of a large cake for photos you can ask your bakery to decorate styrofoam 'cakes' for the bottom tiers and only have the top tier as real cake to cut into.
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ahh I love DQ cakes and never would have thought of ice cream cake for a wedding - what a cool idea!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Right?! Who doesn't love cake 😂
  • Marsha
    Marsha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    🥰🥰. I love cake. So your right. Extra cake ain't bad
  • Marsha
    Marsha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awww thank you Carmel. You were detailed in your answer I will keep this in mind
  • Marsha
    Marsha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your thoughts. I am thinking towards this way more and more
  • Marsha
    Marsha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good point Hank. I don't plan to have the cake served. We are thinking it will be cut by the staff and placed on the same table as our sweet table. To get a cake to serve 180 to 200 omg I just can't lol $$$
  • Marsha
    Marsha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's a cool thing to do. Thanks for sharing your cake plans
  • Marsha
    Marsha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yea this is what I am thinking placing the size 2 4 weeks the earliest before. I want to secure a baker at least now, but the 1st question they ask is what size, how many guests...
    I will ask them if I can book them, provide a deposit to hold the date and decide the size closer to date
  • Marsha
    Marsha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ha I like that "more left overs for me and hubby". But how do I do this. If I don't get approximately head count until early June but I need to order the cake in the next this month latest next month. How do I decide size? The struggle is real lol
  • Marsha
    Marsha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I do appreciate your response Liberty. Thank you
  • S
    Frequent user October 2024 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Marsha. My Fiancée and I's guest count is 40 and we have decided to do DQ blizzard cakes. I would highly suggest you order enough cake just encase all of your guests RSVP that they are attending. Plus just like Amanda said, if you have more cake than needed, that means more left-overs for you and your hubby to be!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Are you having the wait staff serve the cake? If so, you'll need to plan for 180 portions. People are much more likely to say yes to cake if it's served, even if there is a dessert course served by the the caterer.

If you're simply leaving the cake at the dessert table and having guests get it themselves, you can probably opt for serving just 100.

How long of a timeframe do you need to give the baker? If you're able to order just a few weeks in advance, I would hold off until you get the RSVPs. No need to order this early when you likely haven't even sent invites yet.

• Kelsey
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having a wedding of about 160. We are just doing a cake for the bridal party and dessert buffet for everyone else. Never had a wedding cake worth the price so this is an easy choice for us to save money.
  • C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We could only have 50 on the end but given I make cakes on the side, I had to have my dream 3-tier cake so it was meant for 100 people 😅. That being said, that was less than our initial list of 120. Generally, not every guest would have a piece of cake and given you have all of those other options, I would get a cake that serves 100 which is a standard 12"-10"-8" 3-tier cake, potentially adding a 6" fourth tier on top to be on the safe side if you think you'll have closer to 180.
  • R
    Frequent user September 2022 Ontario
    Rere ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is pretty small, but from me hosting events and such, not everyone eats cake especially if you have other desserts. There is always cake left over. I would get a cake for over a hundred but a little under your guest count. If there's more great for you and hubby lol.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance and I are doing a cake for our entire guest list of 70 and if some guests can't attend, more cake for us!
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't know how helpful this is but we're expecting about 50 guests and only ordering cake for about 30 servings. We will also have like 4-6 other dessert options!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics