Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Allison
Master October 2019 Ontario

Thank-you Speech

Allison, on September 3, 2019 at 13:47 Posted in Wedding reception 0 21

So I know my FH and I will be making a thank you speech at the end of the toasts but I'm trying to figure out how to do it without sounding like an Academy Award Acceptance Speech.

I do want to thank/shout out to the following: vendors (venue/catering/bar, photographer, DJ), both sets of parents, wedding party, and all guests, but I know since our speech is at the end, guests will be wanting to move on to the next thing. I also had the idea of throwing in an anecdote about meeting my FH/the engagement, but again, there's the time factor. Is there a way to streamline the thank yous but also thank some groups individually?

Also is there a certain order to thank people if you call them out individually? Or should I just thank everyone for being a part of our day and move on?

21 Comments

Latest activity by Allison, on September 5, 2019 at 13:01
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol thanks for your "non-advice"! I definitely want to have some basics written down so I don't blank out

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This isnt advice but when we went up to do our speech, we didn't have it all written out or anything and I got up there and blanked and didn't end up saying a word LOL my husband had to do it all..

but girl! you have a ton of time, and if you write it all out it'll e perfect no matter what.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It is, and thanks!!

• Emily
    Expert September 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey you’ve got time girl!! 45 days... so exciting!!!😬😬👰
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm getting married in 45 days and just thinking about it now lol!

Glad this discussion helped!

• Emily
    Expert September 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow I didn’t even think of that yet!! This was so helpful.🙏
    I think I’ll wrap all the vendors into one and same with wedding party, then address individuals who made a specific or significant contribution to helping ☺️
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, we definitely want to keep speeches to a minimum!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'll have to do the quick thank you. FH doesn't want to at all so it's up to me lol. I'm hoping to keep it under 2 minutes. I'm hoping I can keep all speeches down to 2 minutes each and only have a max of 4.
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are at the end to, so definitely don’t want to keep people waiting.
  • Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are keeping ours short and sweet. Quick thank you to our vendors (Keeping it super general), the bridal party and then our parents.

Since we are at the end we are trying to keep it really short and sweet

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks! Erin provided an excellent template earlier!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That makes sense! I'm sure whatever you come up with will be great!

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I want to have some sort of outline, otherwise I'll ramble lol!

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I definitely want to thank the our vendors since they've made the long-distance planning so much easier lol! I'll probably end up only thanking the ones that are present at the reception, minus the officiant.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Kelsie - not going to shoutout our vendors unless we know them (photographer, DJ, and bar service), and as for the speech we will most likely wing it! Just write down the people we want to thank and go from there Smiley smile

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I honestly probably wasn’t going to thank my vendors, maybe aside from the DJ (since we know him, our photographers and videographers and wait staff at the venue. So you’re a better person than me 😂

I think it’s cute to have an anecdote to start! Everyone wants to hear from the bride and groom so they’ll love any story!

I think for my speech its going to consist of thanking my FH, my sister (MOH), my brother in law (BM), both of our families, etc.
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hope it's helpful! Good luck writing yours!

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love it!! Thank you so much for sharing!!!!

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Happy to share! Here it is:

Good evening, everyone! I hope you’re having a great time so far!

A few months ago, Tyler and I had the honour and pleasure of meeting Phillip Bailey, the lead singer and one of three remaining original members of Earth Wind & Fire, my favourite band of all time. It was an incredibly magical moment for both of us, since Earth Wind & Fire is the reason we’re celebrating on today of all days, and it just meant the world to us to share that with Mr. Bailey and express our gratitude for their music.

Speaking of gratitude, Tyler and I just wanted to take a moment to thank each and every one of you for making the trip out here to beautiful Belleville to celebrate with us today! Every single one of you has touched our lives in one way or another and neither of us could imagine doing this without you.

We would like to extend a very special thank-you to the Belleville McCurdys and Trillium Wood Golf Club for hosting us tonight!

Thank-you so much to all of our parents for their love and support. There are so many reasons for us to be grateful to each of you, but mainly, thank-you for welcoming each of us into your respective families so warmly and thoroughly. We’re all one big happy family now!

Thanks to our wedding party for all their help with planning the various events over the past year or so and for bearing with us over the long haul from engagement to wedding day. Thanks for your patience, your planning, and for standing with us on the most important day of our lives.

Thank-you to our vendors for helping to make today possible: Samuel Meggs Photography, Creative Nest, Spotlight Audio Visual, Bohemian Beauty, There She Glows Hair, Aslihan Arikan and, of course, Reverend Darlene Murray for marrying us!

We would especially like to thank the following people for their very important contributions: Tini Craig for helping with out first engagement shoot; Sarah Little, for literally always being there as the fourth Douglas Sister; Ronny Rees for the logo, save the dates, invites, and about a million other things; and Katherine Lightbourn for basically everything else. Each of you has gone above and beyond to help make today possible and we love and appreciate you so much!

Folks, please enjoy the rest of the party, and again, thank you all so much for being here today. It means the world to us to have you all here. Now who wants to dance?!

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would love to see it, if you don't mind!

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My speech is literally just me listing off all my thank-yous...

I start off with a VERY short anecdote, then get down to it. I thank all the guests collectively, then I thank my venue and the family in town that is helping to host, then our parents, then the wedding party collectively, then I thank and list all my vendors, then I have a VERY short list of specific people who need to be thanked for going above and beyond (it's only 4 people), then I wrap up by thanking everyone collectively again. Whew!

My speech is 426 words long and clocks in at about 2 minutes and 20 seconds, so pretty short and sweet!

I'd be happy to share it if you'd like to see it!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics