Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Judice
Frequent user November 2019 Ontario

Thank you cards: handwritten or not?

Judice, on December 1, 2019 at 12:53 Posted in Just married 0 15
So I'm in the process of ordering my thank you cards and now I'm stuck on whether or not to handwritten the contents in them.
My hubby’s handwriting is amazing and mine is horrible, and we don't have much time, in general, to spend on the cards.
So here’s my dilemma, should I have them printed with something generic on them or is that rude and writing out each one is the way to go? Help!

15 Comments

Latest activity by Megan, on December 5, 2019 at 15:43
  • M
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

100% handwritten. Even if your handwriting is ugly. I just got a thank-you card from a wedding to a decently close friend, for which I shelled out a pretty decent amount money for a really good bridal shower gift and wedding gift, and we got a generic card THROUGH FACEBOOK MESSENGER that said "thanks for the love and support." no mention of thank you for the gifts. Not even with our names on it. not even thank you for COMING. And it was a group chat with my mom, my sister, my partner, and the bride. We all gave separate gifts (except my partner who was part of mine). Beyond disappointed in that card.

So I think that handwritten is the way to go. It can feel like a drag to write it all out, but personally I think that guests deserve a good acknowledgement of the time, energy, and money they put into being there Smiley smile

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Neither!!

What we did was order the thank-you cards as post cards! Then we just had to add the address' on the back along with the postage and we sent them off super fast.

I agree that guests take time to come to your wedding like how Kelly said - but it's not like they take the time to handwrite a card for you... Plus in my opinion I don't care what it says, I just want acknowledgement that I gave presentation and that I get a picture from your wedding that I can put on my fridge for a few months - to a year.

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have a strong opinion on this.

HANDWRITTEN!

Your guests took time to come to your wedding and support your, they probably gave you a gift, and its such a small effort to write a quick and heartfelt thank you.

Pre-typed messages save time, sure, but the thanks feels disingenuous to the recipient. Sorry. Its true.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We just got ours printed.

For us it was a lot easier, we had so much going on after the wedding, that I didn't have the time to write a ton of them out!

All our guests gave money, so it was the same message to each person.

A great time save in my opinion!

• S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I plan on personally handwriting my thank yous. I think it's just good manners in general. At least that's what I was taught. Maybe i'm just old school though. Also As a guest I would appreciate the gesture.

I like the ideas of printing them off, then adding their name and gift personally written.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Im going to hand write mine. theres also no time frame for sending them out you can get them out in the new year! i love reading individual messages from the couple

• Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did both. We left some space to write a little something to each guest at the wedding. I had writers cramp after finishing them, but to me the extra effort was worthwhile.
  • Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are planning on getting our thank you printed

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you cards really need to be personally addressed and written to each person who gave you a gift. I know you said that you don’t have a lot of time, but if your guest took the time and effort to give you a gift you really should be giving them a personalized thank you and not a thank you that is pretty printed and the same for everyone.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can have both ways as long as the message is thankful for your guests being present at your wedding and handwrite personally for the gift given by the couple/family/individual. The wedding party to thank them for their help and support to you two.

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you cards really need to be personalized. Printed/typed is fine if you don't want to handwrite them all, the sentiment just needs to be personally written for each specific person/couple who gave a gift.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would hand write them. Even if it's harder to read and takes longer to do, it will mean so much more to your guests.

I would feel a bit put out if I received a generic typed thank you card.
  • R
    Devoted November 2019 Quebec
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I ordered mine thursday and had a thank you message put in them however, we plan on signing our names and adding personalised messages to them.
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

How many do you have to do? I'll only have about 35 since there'll be a maximum of 60 guests and most are couples, so handwriting that many shouldn't be bad at all as long as I don't procrastinateXD if it's more like 100 that you have to do then I wouldn't sweat doing something more generic. I've been to 3 weddings where I didn't even get thank you cards, so anything is better than nothing I think.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As a guest, I always prefer a personal thank you message. So I’ll be handwriting all of our thank you cards when it’s time. I don’t like receiving the same generic message.

If you don’t have a ton of time, you could still print and type up personal messages.
    Another thing that would work is maybe do 3-5 different types of thank yous and you can rotate them. Just don’t send the same message to people in the same house.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics