Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Geneviève
VIP September 2020 Ontario

Sunset Timing

Geneviève, on September 25, 2018 at 13:21 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 5

Our wedding is almost 2 years away. The 27th is the exact date and now that we're close, we've been looking at the time the sun sets. Our outdoor ceremony is slated for 7PM with a photo period around 7:30, and we join the reception around 8-8:30. The problem is sunset that day is slated for 7:08 and twilight lasts until 8:30. I'm worried since our location is in a slightly wooded area that it'll be too dark for pictures. Our reception room is the cocktail reception room for the venue so we may not be able to bump up our time if there's another wedding on the same day. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? Twilight pictures would be awesome but we would hope to get some pictures before it gets dark.

5 Comments

Latest activity by Allison, on September 25, 2018 at 21:20
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with the others, try to move your wedding up an hour. Also since you have two years, visit the venue, or have someone on your behalf visit and take pictures around 7:30-8:30 to see if it is too dark.

If you can't move your wedding and it's too dark at the original times, I would consider the first-look photos (maybe around 6? Have dinner beforehand?) So you know your photos will be good. You can still get a few after your ceremony for that twilight look.

If you have a photographer yet, ask them what they recommend. If you're still looking, a good question to ask potential photographers would be:

How would you deal with pictures with a sunset at 7:08pm and twilight lasting until 8:30? (i.e. do you think it'll be too dark in a wooded area). Our ceremony is from 7-7:30. Would you recommend doing most photos beforehand?

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am in the same boat as Casey - with the difference of a day and a province over Smiley tongue

We will also be doing first look photos and then if we find that there are some more types of photos at night we can do that but I want to prioritize the pictures so that we don't get stuck with bad lighting.

For you if you are okay with it then I would also suggest the first look photo's. Plus if you guys cry when you see each other then you will get a chance to redo your makeup like I will inevitably be doing Smiley xd

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Brittany. See if you could move everything up an hour.

If not have you looked into doing "first look" pictures and getting some of the wedding party pictures done before the ceremony.

Our ceremony is at 5pm in October next year, and the sun set is just before 7pm. Still bright enough for the ceremony, but not super bright that I will be up there squinting (thank god)

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It depends on if there's another wedding that day. If there is, we're stuck with the time we have.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Are you able to move everything up 1 hour? We took our engagement photos at before sunset in the evening (7-9pm range in July), but were in the forest/wooded area, with mountains. There was no direct sunlight at all, even at 7pm... and it was a 35 degree sunny day... So if there's a good chance your in a more shaded area, your "twilight" photos may actually start before sunset...

Are you able to either visit your venue around this time? Or have a coordinator/event manager take photos around that time during an event this weekend or something?

We are doing our photos beforehand, as our January "sunset" is set for 4.47pm, haha... So our photos are at 2pm with a much earlier dinner (6.30pm)

I would try and get some photos, either yourself, or someone at your venue who could help!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics