Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Casey
Master October 2019 Ontario

Stag and Doe Help!

Casey, on October 31, 2018 at 11:08 Posted in Before the wedding 0 7

We have been bouncing around the idea of hosting a stag and doe. I was completely ok with not having one, but now my FH has a friend who made $11,000 off his which is awesome! So that sparked something in my FH and now he is leaning more towards wanting to have one.

Traditionally.. who should be the one hosting a stag and doe? I would be ok hosting it, but then we would be focused on planning a stag and doe and a wedding.

We just brought the idea up to our wedding party (All our siblings, his 2 sisters, brother, sister in law, and brother in law) and no one is really jumping up and down. So far we have gotten comments about how much work it is.. I get that it is a lot of work, but would you not want to help out your family when it comes to their wedding?

Has anyone who has had a stag and doe made great money? Lost money? What kind of things have you done that are good money makers?

Suggestions? I am worried that we will want to have one, and I will be the one planning it, or will end up taking over the planning because no one else seems super interested in it.

7 Comments

Latest activity by Allison, on December 16, 2018 at 15:10
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's hilarious!! How do people think Winnipeg is in Ontario?

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lmao I'll take it! hahaha, at my work I haaaaaave come across a couple of pieces of mail addressed to Thunder Bay MB.... and Winnipeg ON..... Just a mix up - or a secret meaning?!?!?!?!?!

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We aren't having a stag and doe one since our wedding party/parents are all scattered and our wedding is in London - when ever we go down there, we will be too busy planning for the wedding to attempt putting together a stag and doe too!

The couple would be hosting, but the wedding party and your parents would hopefully help organize prizes/games and help sell tickets. However if they aren't super interested in helping out, it would fall to you guys and it might take away from wedding planning. It is a good way to make money to put towards planning, but there's the potential for added stress!

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Games aren't big in Thunder Bay, Ontario either - just drinking lol! We also call socials/stag and does shags here - for whatever reason lol.

Sometime they are themed (New Years, St pats, Halloween) and our "season" usually runs from end of October to End of May/Beginning of June. In some ways, we're more like MB than our own province!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our MOHs along with the girls at the salon put our buck and buck together with baskets for raffles and toonie games. The amount raised depends on how much is left after the vendors have been paid at the end of the night.

Generally i have seen conversations stating the couple is hosting the stag and doe to raise money for their wedding.

Ideas that were done for the night:

50/50
    Pie in the face
    Variety of baskets for raffles
    Tickets bought for full arm or arm to arm length.
    Toonie games for alcohol
    Games and competitions at different stations.
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Usually the bride and groom host the stag and doe. with the help of wedding party and parents.

my friends that have done it (or where I have been a bridesmaid), it is usually more work than planning a wedding (crazy to think).

I was in one wedding where the bride and groom easily made 8-10K. I've been to some that have made only 2K (in Windsor, a lot of the halls/places provide the bar. so you sell a ticket for unlimited beer. and ticket is like 25 a person. those are the ones that don't make as much as one in the county).

If you go to a community hall. where you can get a liquor permit and bring in your own alcohol. you will make more money. one awesome prize that always works is having a cooler of booze as a large raffle prize (get each member of your wedding party to give a 26er towards it. and you buy the cooler/and some mixed can drinks and cans of beer.).

For us we aren't doing one because I didn't want to deal with all the work. a lot of our wedding party lives in other cities. and a lot of my family is from out of town. so it would be harder for them to come.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Me and my FH will be hosting our wedding social - although your wedding party is suppose to help put together the raffle prizes (going around asking businesses to donate OR buying items to put in the raffles). Here in Manitoba a social is a MUST have and it doesn't seem to get in the way of wedding planning here (of course we all have a "social season" which means that most socials occur in the spring time March to June-ish).

Here in MB I have heard of people making over $10,000 easy. It's kind of hard not to make a profit...

Here is the Manitoba Wedding Social site: Manitoba Social Guide - and yes, that means we have a website to help couples out because socials are such a big thing! lol

Listed on there you will find that the average social (being 200 people or so) would mean having:

- Texas Mickey/ Perfume draw

- 50/50

- 10 regular raffle prize packages

- 3-5 grand raffle prize packages

- sometimes a golden raffle prize (like a $1500 travel voucher, but I've seen a car and motorcycle as the big prize...)

- drink tickets (should be on the cheaper side to get people liquored up to buy the raffle tickets)

One thing that is a big difference between what I have heard about socials compared to stag & doe's are the fact that people doing a S&D have games sometimes... not cool... nobody wants that... they just want an excuse to go out and get drunk without being around a bunch of 18yr old's. Trust me, you can make MAD MONEY off of a social.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics