Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Crystal
Newbie June 2021 Ontario

Stag and doe

Crystal, on June 2, 2019 at 11:20 Posted in Before the wedding 0 18
Did you have a stag and doe? Is it worth it? How much did you spend on it, and what was your return? A few people are trying to push one, I just wanna know if it's worth it?

Thanks!

18 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on July 31, 2019 at 12:34
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey! sorry for the delay.

They had a black jack table which was verrrry popular. You could do poker as well, you just need someone in your party or family to deal.. The other most popular was an airsoft bbgun game - we printed targets and people paid 5 dollars for 5 bb's and at the end of the night whoever did the best got to keep the gun. This one was huuuuugely popular.. I ran this game and racked in hundreds of dollars - for $150 gun. Totally worth it.

Lots of raffle prizes. The beer case game is usually a good one with the boys. All you buy is a 24 case of beer.. people have to hold the case by the handles with their arms stretched out straight infront of them (sounds easier than it is).. someone times everyone and whoever can hold it for the longest without dropping their arms wins the case of beer. This one is funny because all you get is a case of beer but you know how men can be - they're paying so much money to prove they are the strongest... all in good fun.

The toonie toss is always fun too.. it's usually played with a texas mickey of some sort, I have also seen a designer bag for the ladies... people slide toonies at it and whoever's toonie ends up closest to the bottle/bag gets it. People LOVE this one and you end up with a floor full of toonies.

• Sam
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Sam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow that's crazy they made so much at a stag and doe.. Would love to hear tips lol

• R
    Devoted November 2019 Quebec
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't had mine yet but for my aunt it was 20$ a person and we just went out to a bar after dinner and got table service. That was really all we spent (plus dinner). We were maybe 40 people so it paid for everyones alcohol. It was a lot more casual and fun.

I also like the idea of a social, but my cousin had one out in Winnipeg and my entire family (in Montreal) thought it was crazy because here it's not really a things lol

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't do one but most grooms around here (Vaughan) have Stags. It's a great fundraiser if you feel comfortable with it. My fiancé didn't choose to have one but I know people make big money off thee type of things.

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't have one. All of my guests are flying from out of town and are spending probably $2000 or more just to come to my wedding. I would not want anyone to be giving me money. The whole concept would make me feel terrible. This is the reason why I also didn't want to have a bridal shower, but I was surprised with one anyways. I guess if you're having a massive wedding then it's probably worth it. For me though, it isn't worth all the extra planning and headache.

• Crystal
    Newbie June 2021 Ontario
    Crystal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That looked amazing! But I honestly dont know if I could ask for donations, I'm in Toronto area and feel like it wouldn't go well lol. Thank you! These are some great gift basket ideas!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They spend money on raffle tickets (bags usually cost $20, $40, & $60 but $100 for a pack with a Golden ticket), the 50/50, perfume draw, drink tickets, and of course the ticket to the social which is the standard $10 each.

It's a night of dancing and drinking and having winning stuff if you're lucky Smiley smile

Here's a link to the post I made just after my Wedding Social: Wedding Social Complete!

• Crystal
    Newbie June 2021 Ontario
    Crystal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hmmm, that sounds interesting! So no games? What do people spend money on? Now I'm going to look into this! It also sounds classier 🤣 thanks!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't have a Stag/Buck & Doe - but we did have a Wedding Social and in that we raised just over $10,000. (Socials = no games, more of a club/party atmosphere, from 8pm-1am usually, 50/50, perfume draw, etc.)

Sooooo much work, but worth it. Never wanna do that again, but like I said - worth it.

• Crystal
    Newbie June 2021 Ontario
    Crystal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Those are great ideas! Thank you!
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have seen many people write letters and go to stores, restaurants, spas etc. Utilize your wedding party and who they know. Friends or family that may own businesses or have connections that can get things donated.
  • Crystal
    Newbie June 2021 Ontario
    Crystal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I get this, but I've been to a few and they are fun. I'm not planning on an engagement party or bridal shower. (We already live together and have everything) was just hoping to see if it was worth it to have one and raise some funds, either to help pay for the wedding or our honeymoon.
  • Crystal
    Newbie June 2021 Ontario
    Crystal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I've heard this, and you want to have good/big prizes to sell tickets. How would you go about having people donate? I would have assumed we would have footed the bill for it all
  • Crystal
    Newbie June 2021 Ontario
    Crystal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I've been to a bunch and had fun. Always spent alot of money lol. Do you know how much he put into it?
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn’t have a stag and doe. It’s a lot of work, and none of our wedding party really jumped at the idea to plan it. I for sure wasn’t planning another huge thing lol.
    I have heard people making a lot of money, but you have to make sure a lot is donated too
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didn’t have one.

In my culture and my FH’s culture fundraising events are considered very taboo.

we’re having a bridal shower where we will likely receive more cash gifts than boxed gifts and that is enough for me.

in my FHs culture, if a bride and groom have fundraising events (engagement party, stag and doe and bridal shower) they do not give much, if anything at all at the wedding.

I think it can be a great way to earn funds just keep in mind not everyone is going to like it especially if it’s not something that they are used to.
  • K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Stag and Does are a foreign concept in MY family/circle, so I never had one (I had a small wedding anyway so I probably wouldn't have had one either way).

I have mixed feelings on the concept (the guests are already spending on gifts and possibly travel too), but if it's a common custom with your friends and family, and everyone else is doing them, then why not go for it? It's another party in your honour and can help with the wedding expenses to boot!

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didnt have one but I wanted to. definitely worth it.. my brother took home $7000 from this. as long as you have help and can get enough of people they're a lot of fun and you make a lot of money

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics