Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Nicolle
Newbie June 2019 Ontario

Stag and Doe

Nicolle, on July 24, 2018 at 11:26 Posted in Before the wedding 0 9

I am thinking about having a stag and doe in March (getting married in June) but am conflicted. We just confirmed our venue last week and have 11 months to get it going.... I'm a little more freaked out by the timeline than he is, but no surprise there! Because of the timeline is it rude to do a Stag and doe? I don't want any of our families to roll their eyes at the events... but because we already have two kids, have lived together for 5 years, I feel as though they might think "why the heck do they need that?"

Advice? Opinions?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Marcia, on July 25, 2018 at 21:41
  • Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think there's any problem with that! Do whatever timeline works for you, enjoy it and have fun! Remember its your time to shine!! Smiley smile

• Tracy
    Devoted September 2018 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married in September and just had our stag and doe this past Saturday! It was an amazing turn out and we did so much better than we could have imagined! I didn't want one to begin with but we ended up making over 6,000 profit! Everyone had such a great time!!!
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm planning on doing my buck and doe next June or July and we're getting married next September, so that doesn't seem too bad to me. Do whatever timeline makes the most sense to you and don't stress yourself out!
  • S
    Frequent user January 2021 Alberta
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Man, I really wish Buck n Doe's were a thing here in Alberta Smiley sad

I'm originally from rural Ontario and couples are able to make a really decent chunk of money for their wedding from these things.. but literally NO ONE here has ever even heard of them and when I explain what one is people think it's absurd (essentially, getting your community to pay for your wedding). I totally understand why it sounds tacky to people who didn't grow up with that tradition, and obviously, I would not even dream of doing one here because of that, but damn it sure would be nice! lol

• Krista-Lee
    Beginner September 2019 Alberta
    Krista-Lee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m doing our Social (stag and doe) in April getting married in September. I don’t think anyone would judge regardless of when you do the social. I know for us there will be friends of friends of friends selling tickets and coming, it’s a party with cheap drinks and something to do on a Saturday night!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's a little too close to the wedding, in terms of trying to raise funds and then receiving gifts again a few months later...

Can you make it slightly earlier? Like a "post-Christmas holiday" party in January, or maybe do a Valentine's themed party mid February... suitable for a wedding, and then people have an outing to go to around V-Day, as well as you being able to do some fundraising?

In terms of people wondering "why you're doing it"... you'd think having 2 kids as a young couple would be your answer right there... haha. People who love you and know you would hopefully feel good about helping you out, while also getting a night out and having fun!

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think my only worry about the short timeline would be how much guests are then spending on the wedding in such a short time. If there is a stag and doe, shower, wedding gifts, possibly travel for the wedding it is a lot of money as a guest in a short period of time.

Do you live somewhere where the social is just attended by close family and friends? The entire community? People who won’t even know you but will come out for a fun night of games, drinks, and dancing? i would say no matter what do one if it’s what you both want but make sure the cost of running the event is in proportion to expected attendance.
  • Nicolle
    Newbie June 2019 Ontario
    Nicolle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for your response!
    I wouldn't think so at all! I actually help plan and donate prizes to entice the guests. It is more of a social thing and raise funds but the guests would pay for a ticket and food would be included - booze is extra.

I like your advice! I agree. I am just worried, that's all. On my side, we do stag and does - none of my sisters have actually had a shower. SO my side is used to it. more his

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Is a stag and doe like a wedding shower? or is it more like a social? If you would be getting presents like a shower then you many get some family members thinking that it's not needed but if it is more like a social and the point of it is to raise money for the wedding then they have nothing to scoff at. If they are upset that you are trying to raise money then they clearly haven't looked at the price of weddings nowadays never mind the fact that you are already paying $$ for having kids who I'm sure are in activities and daycare etc.

My advice - let the haters hate. If they don't like that you are having a stag and doe - they don't have to come. Also try and consider what you would think if you had friends that were to do this. Would you think that it's stupid of them to hold a stag and doe? (My guess is probably not.)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics