Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Brittani
Beginner September 2021 Ontario

Stag & Doe/buck & Doe/jack & Jill

Brittani, on May 1, 2019 at 11:15 Posted in Before the wedding 0 8
So, I've seen recently that a lot of people do these Stag & Doe parties (though they may be called a variety of things). Who is supposed to plan this? Is it the wedding party, or the bride and groom? Is it just a game night to raise money for the wedding? Is it supposed to be money put away for the future?

And who is invited? Just the people going to the wedding? Anyone who wants to come?

So many questions--if anyone knows the answer to any of them, let me know! Thanks!

8 Comments

Latest activity by Kelly, on June 17, 2019 at 01:36
  • Kelly
    Devoted May 2020 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Stage and doe, jack and Jill or buck and does are planned by the bride and groom with the help of the bridal party. It is a party with games, raffles, food and booze used as a fundraiser for the bride and groom. The wedding party is responsible for helping the bride and groom by running games, raffles, etc. The night of the bucks Nd doe so that the bride and groom can just mingle. These event usually generate a lot of money for the bride and groom and are totally worth it. The bridal party is responsible for selling tickets to the event so anyone can come support, tickets can be sold at the door so anybody can come in then as well.
  • Kelsey
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I find a lot of people do this differently.

My FH and I planned the entire Stag and Doe ourselves with the help of my parents (they have organized many events like this).

We had the bridal party run the games and sell tickets.

We sold tickets publicly through a facebook event and even people who couldn't make it bought tickets just to support us. We made sure that all tickets were entered into the door prize to show a little appreciation for anyone who bought tickets.

We had most raffle prizes donated from local shops and the bridal party really helped out with this because it's really a "who you know" situation.

We tried to spend as little money as possible so that the profit was better and we had more to put towards wedding stuff.

Hope this helps a little Smiley smile

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It really depends on the couple, and how involved they want to be. For us we didn't want to have to worry about planning one, so we said if we were having a stag and doe that our wedding party would have to plan it. No one wanted to take on that responsibility so we didn't do it.

You can use the money towards anything you want. Honeymoon, Wedding, Future etc.

Everyone gets invited. I have also seen some bride and grooms open it up to the community to have it be one big party.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its to raise funds for the wedding. There are new rules with the licore license though- you can't do 50/50 or games of luck- has to be skill. The bride and groom host it- traditonally it is the wedding party but these days it tends to be the bride and groom who do most of the work. because of the new rules, you have to sell tickets to anyone in advance and get their names on a list like a guest list. This has to be at the front door when they enter.

I have one coming up and we had a lot of local businesses donate things for the raffle table. Keep in mind when planning it all that its your money up front

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Traditionally the idea is the money went to your honeymoon, but of course you can do whatever you want.

There are raffle tickets sold and lots of games.. you can basically do whatever you want.. I've been and helped planned for a few of them.

Some games we have done are bra pong, plinko (you would need to make or rent a board and you can win drink tickets, raffle tickets, more plays, etc.). one we had an air soft rifle game - you had to shoot at a target and the winner at the end of the night won the gun. my brother had a black jack table.... literally, the world is your oyster. The more games the more money you make.. there should be food and you can have a cash bar or stock your own and sell drink tickets depending on the venue. I'm sure you can google some ideas too. They are a lot of fun and if its successful you can make a lot of money, and everyone is invited. People who don't even know you will come with friends or whatever.. it's just a big fun party.

• Brittani
    Beginner September 2021 Ontario
    Brittani ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Awesome, thank you! When did you have yours (like, how long before the wedding)?

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it is usually the wedding party? Although, I have known a few couples to plan their own stag and does.

i think the money raised can go towards whatever you want! A house, the wedding, whatever you want!

I think the premise is you sell tickets. The popular thing I’ve seen is a Facebook group is created and a bunch of people get invited. You can invite people you aren’t inviting. I’ve seen the bridal party even invite their own friends, etc.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well for our wedding social (I know - yet another dang name!), they are supposed to be held by the wedding party but 9/10 times the majority of the planning is by the bride and groom.

Planning: wedding party SHOULD help out

Game night to raise money: only for Stag/Buck/Jack & Doe/Jill etc. but not socials (we don't have games at socials which is the main difference)

Money delegated to: The money raised from the event SHOULD be towards the wedding and paying for it, but at the end of the day nobody can see where you put the money so for me and my FH we put some of it towards the wedding and the rest towards my FH's debt he had before we met. Which I mean, after the wedding we may be in a little debt which in the long run we are in a way still putting it towards the wedding?

Invited: EVERYONE!!! Mostly people who aren't invited to the wedding though because they want to celebrate with you but won't be invited to the wedding itself. For ours we had over 300 people come to the wedding social and our guest list (including ourselves and vendors) will be 250.

I don't know much about the games part and from what I've heard the raffle prizes we have here in MB are a bit more than what they do in ON but I'm here if you have more questions!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics